• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When will Walker sign the bill ?

Da Po-lock

I don't believe it. I would think news like this would be splattered all over more credible media. Besides, Walker seems to have a chubby for the Demo-RATS and I would hope he would rub their noses into everything they don't want to happen.

Somewhere I read something about "transcribing" or something to that effect that has to be done before he signs it. I looked around and can't find where I saw it.

.....STUMPED Po-lock

cleveland

I also would like to know! Not only for the personal excitement (shaking like an excited child!), but I know a few guys on the holster thread want to know too.

protias

He has not signed it yet, but if he does want to sign it, he has 5 more business days to do so.

BROKENSPROKET

He has not signed it yet, but if he does want to sign it, he has 5 more business days to do so.

The Governor has 30 days to sign it, after that, the Secretary of State has 10 business days to notice a publication date.

I think you may have the two mixed up.

It is rumored that he will sign it after 2 weeks. It will be signed publicly after 2 other bills are signed publically. The bill signings are being spread out.

ETA: By 'rumored' I mean word of mouth. Many of us that were in the gallery went to a bar across from the capital to celebrate with legislators and staff and that is what I heard one of them say.

Last edited:

cleveland

I never thought I would want a pen from a signing... but i would LOVE to get one of those pens he signs SB93 with.

protias

The Governor has 30 days to sign it, after that, the Secretary of State has 10 business days to notice a publication date.

I think you may have the two mixed up.

It is rumored that he will sign it after 2 weeks. It will be signed publicly after 2 other bills are signed publically. The bill signings are being spread out.
I thought I heard on the radio this morning he has 6 days to sign it. :confused:

Big Dipper

WI Constitution Article V, Section 10 Governor to approve or veto bills; proceedings on veto

Paragraph 3:

"Any bill not returned by the governor within 6 days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to the governor shall be law unless the legislature, by final adjournment, prevents the bill’s return, in which case it shall not be law."

Last edited:

Teej

I hate to be a bubble buster....but unless somebody fast tracks this, it might not even hit Walker's desk until 8/4. :(

The current status is just that it has been received (by the senate) from the Assembly as concurred.

Next step is for it to be stamped 'enrolled'. Then at some point, enrolled bills get sent to the governor. That's when the 6 day clock starts. Currently enrolled bills must be submitted "no later than 4:30 pm on August 4th."

Of course, if the Senate is done with business for this floor period (as I believe it is), it is _likely_ that enrolled bills will be sent very soon....but it has not happened _yet_.

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

WI Constitution Article V, Section 10 Governor to approve or veto bills; proceedings on veto

Paragraph 3:

"Any bill not returned by the governor within 6 days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to the governor shall be law unless the legislature, by final adjournment, prevents the bill’s return, in which case it shall not be law."

Is it different for the Budget? Cuz that is where I got the 30 days from. What I heard was he had 30 days to veto or line-item veto. If he takes no action after 30 days in automatically go to the Sec. of State.

Big Dipper

Is it different for the Budget? Cuz that is where I got the 30 days from. What I heard was he had 30 days to veto or line-item veto. If he takes no action after 30 days in automatically go to the Sec. of State.

A scan of the WI Constitution (http://legis.wisconsin.gov/rsb/unannotated_wisconst.pdf) for "days" finds nothing other than the "6 days" reference regarding the Governor and the signing of a bill (regardless as to nature).

Teej

I think BrokenSprocket commented in another thread (sorry if it wasn't you) that Walker's aides said he was spreading bills out over a couple of weeks.

Just to update and perhaps confirm that to some extent...as I said, this bill hasn't even officially been sent to him yet. The status updated overnight to having been officially "enrolled" yesterday.

The next entry to watch for will be the comment that it was delivered to the Gov. That's when the 6 day clock starts, and it doesn't _have_ to happen before Aug. 4th (although we're pretty sure it will be in the next few days).

There might also be a tag in there "Report properly enrolled" before going to the Gov.

BROKENSPROKET

I think BrokenSprocket commented in another thread (sorry if it wasn't you) that Walker's aides said he was spreading bills out over a couple of weeks.

Just to update and perhaps confirm that to some extent...as I said, this bill hasn't even officially been sent to him yet. The status updated overnight to having been officially "enrolled" yesterday.

The next entry to watch for will be the comment that it was delivered to the Gov. That's when the 6 day clock starts, and it doesn't _have_ to happen before Aug. 4th (although we're pretty sure it will be in the next few days).

There might also be a tag in there "Report properly enrolled" before going to the Gov.

It wasn't one of Walker's aides , but a staffer to iehter Scott or Jeff Fitzgerald. He said there were 3 bills to sign and they wer being spread out over 2 weeks. Now we have found out that the siggning of SB93 is goingto be a 'Grand Show'. People are bieng flown in for this event. Undconfirmed rumor that Ted Nugent MIGHT be there. I bet the NRA will be there in force. I wonder if WCI-BOD will be there?

Outdoorsman1

I heard on the radio news this morning that Gov. Walker will be signing the Budget Bill early next week... Hopfully the C.C. Bill will be next on the list...

Outdoorsman1