• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When will Walker sign the bill ?

Big Dipper

Signed AND PUBLISHED before the end of June PLEASE! Or, we wait another month unnecessarily!

"SECTION 101.0 Effective dates. This act takes effect on the first day of the 4th month beginning after publication, except as follows:..."

BROKENSPROKET

Signed AND PUBLISHED before the end of June PLEASE! Or, we wait another month unnecessarily!

"SECTION 101.0 Effective dates. This act takes effect on the first day of the 4th month beginning after publication, except as follows:..."

Never going to happen. We knew that when the Assembly did not take up S93 on the Thursday after the Senate passed it on Tuesday. If they would have taken it up on Thursday, the Governor would have had to sign it immediately and get it to the Sec. of States office that Friday for it to be published by June 30.

At this point, it does not matter when Walker signs it as long as he signs it by July 16, so it will be published by July 30. It will be signed within the next week and a half.

BROKENSPROKET

Parts of the bill are scheduled to take effect on July 1st... so I'd assume he'd sign it before then. ???

If it hasn't been posted elsewhere yet... Here's a link to the enrolled, and final rendition, of SB93... http://legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/data/acts/11enSB0093.pdf

The following in the only part that will take eaffect on July 1st:
20.455 (2) (gs) Background check for licenses to
carry concealed weapons. The amounts in the schedule
to provide services under s. 175.60. All moneys received
as fee payments under s. 175.60 (7) (c) and (d), (13), and
(15) (b) 4. a. and b. shall be credited to this appropriation.

BROKENSPROKET

At this point, it does not matter when Walker signs it as long as he signs it by July 16, so it will be published by July 30. It will be signed within the next week and a half.

Let me correct myself. Nothing about the implentation of the permit system or car carry will not matter as long as its signed by July 16, but the changes to the Disorderly Conduct statutes would take effect the day after the publication. Also many are anxious to see what the bill will look after Walker signs it. It will be the same. I would only expect him to use the line item veto on the Budget, not on this, as he has not used it yet on any other bill.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I would only expect him to use the line item veto on the Budget, not on this, as he has not used it yet on any other bill.

I can't get the link to work but he vetoed Article 7:

GOVERNOR'S VETO MESSAGES

2011-12 Legislative Session

Act 7
State of Wisconsin
Office of the Governor
February 9, 2011

TO THE HONORABLE MEMBERS OF THE SENATE:

I have approved Special Session Senate Bill 6 as 2011 Wisconsin Act 7 and have deposited it in the Office of the Secretary of State. I have exercised the partial veto in Sections 39, 40, 41 and 48.

Act 7
Special Session Senate Bill 6 creates the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation. Creation of the Corporation, as a quasi-public authority focused on economic development, is an important step toward reviving Wisconsin's economy by creating and retaining jobs. The Corporation will provide more flexible and responsive support to the business community and job creators throughout Wisconsin and still be accountable to Wisconsin taxpayers.

Act 7
In order to ensure that current Department of Commerce employees who are hired by the Corporation will not become temporarily ineligible for retirement and health insurance benefits, I am vetoing sections 39 and 40 in their entirety and partially vetoing sections 41 and 48 to ensure that the Corporation will automatically be a participating employer in the Wisconsin Retirement System and that Corporation employees will be eligible to receive retirement and health insurance benefits.

Respectfully submitted,

SCOTT WALKER

Governor

phred

If Walker said he would sign whatever concealed carry bill got to his desk, then he needs to sign SB93 without any line vetoed items. Otherwise, he would not signing THE bill that got to his desk, but instead making a new bill. That would be naughty.

protias

If Walker said he would sign whatever concealed carry bill got to his desk, then he needs to sign SB93 without any line vetoed items. Otherwise, he would not signing THE bill that got to his desk, but instead making a new bill. That would be naughty.
Well, he could take out training and all that garbage out. I would support that. :D

ccwinstructor

Centurion
My Brother heard on public radio that he will sign it after the 4th of July

I also would like to know! Not only for the personal excitement (shaking like an excited child!), but I know a few guys on the holster thread want to know too.

I do not have the exact source, but he has been very accurate on his information.

safcrkr

This says appropriations bills

So does This. Scroll down to "veto".

Article V, §10 ¶(1) (b)
(b) If the governor approves and signs the bill, the bill shall become law. Appropriation bills may be approved in whole or in part by the governor, and the part approved shall become law.

SB93 is not an appropriation bill.

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

The WI governor can line item veto anything he wants.

Yah, and that scares me. He could line-item veto all the ammendments to 167.31, the protections from disorderly conduct, the part that makes LEO criminally and civilly liable for using excessive force,hunters safety as a trianing requirement, etc.............

BROKENSPROKET

So does This. Scroll down to "veto".

Article V, §10 ¶(1) (b)
(b) If the governor approves and signs the bill, the bill shall become law. Appropriation bills may be approved in whole or in part by the governor, and the part approved shall become law.

SB93 is not an appropriation bill.

I don't know if SB93 is or is not a appropirations bill by any legal definition, but it does make appropriations that will be paid back with license fees.