• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB134 Enhance straw purchase and receive stolen property crimes.

Russf

Before u know it the dems will want spitting on a sidewalk a felony.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Before u know it the dems will want spitting on a sidewalk a felony.

I think that's the point. They know that getting rid of gun rights is difficult but so far no hue and cry has arisen from stopping felons from getting guns. If they keep expanding the felon law, only felons will have guns.

Outdoorsman1

Actually, I am having a hard time finding anything wrong here....

Seems to only address enhanceing the laws (felonies) for intentional law breakers such as straw purchasers and recievers of known stolen property. I will not be e-mailing my Reps. as I basically agree with what they are trying to do.

If anyone see's something I am missing please feel free to inform me as to exactly why this is a bad bill and I will reconsider contacting my Reps.

Outdoorsman1

Side Note: I literally witnessed an OBVIOUS straw purchase a few years ago while I was picking up my Taurus Judge. It was in a popular Kenosha Marine / Sporting Goods Store. After the staw purchaser and friends left, I asked the slaesman WTF.... Why did you just allow a straw purchase and he gave me some MAJOR BS that he did not see it as a straw purchase... I do not do ANY business there anymore.....

Last edited:

Trip20

Since all of the bad things these bad people might do with firearms are already illegal (and they do them anyway), I don't see why this is necessary other than to serve as a moral booster for law enforcement and gun haters.

By default I typically do not support making every damn thing a felony.

Teej

I support making straw purchases a felony.

Buying a gun for someone prohibited from having it is like handing a drunk your car keys. You're actively putting other people at risk.

protias

Buying a gun for someone prohibited from having it is like handing a drunk your car keys. You're actively putting other people at risk.
Straw purchasing is already a federal felony.

Teej

Good point. I actually knew that but had forgotten it in the context of the discussion. Fell victim to the wording games.

Seems like it's being put in as a feel good / piling on charge. I believe you could be charged with both (federal & state violations) and might even have both stick.

Double jeopardy wouldn't apply. SCOTUS ruled such in Lanza.

On that basis, I amend my earlier post - I agree with making straw purchases a state felony in addition to federal. Throw the f'in book at 'em.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran

Perhaps when they remove the 21 years old for a handgun crap I could support this. I don't see anything wrong with buying a friend a handgun who is under 21.

You're not putting anyone at risk by buying someone a handgun who is 20 years 364 days old.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Side Note: I literally witnessed an OBVIOUS straw purchase a few years ago while I was picking up my Taurus Judge. It was in a popular Kenosha Marine / Sporting Goods Store. After the staw purchaser and friends left, I asked the slaesman WTF.... Why did you just allow a straw purchase and he gave me some MAJOR BS that he did not see it as a straw purchase... I do not do ANY business there anymore.....

Did it seem the straw purchase was for a guy with a ski mask on, pants down to his knees, with a stained wife beater? Or was it for a 18-20 year old is ban from buying a brand new handgun because we have laws that don't make sense in this country?

protias

Which means nothing. It means nothing to a state prosecutor or district attorney. Only a federal prosecutor can prosecute a federal felony.

I see nothing wrong with SB131 or SB134.
A person can still be arrested and then given to the feds, no?

protias

So that if the Federal Agents and Prosecutor wants the case, they can.
You can't just pick and choose which laws you want to enforce. Then everything becomes inconsistent and is open to interpretation. No wonder why out country is so screwed up. The criminal always gets off easy while the law abiding gets screwed because of some technicality. :mad: