• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB93 FAQ from the LRB

MKEgal

when does it take effect?

This has been answered so many times, & links to the bill (READ IT YOURSELF) have been posted so many times, I'm starting to get a bit curt with people.
[That link is the one Paul found for the ENTIRE bill as it will be published, integrating SB93 w/ SSA2. Isn't he awesome?]

I just posted this on FB, answering when various parts of the bill take effect:

Taking effect the day after publication:
66.0409 (6) Carry is not disorderly conduct; preemption

165.25 (12) DOJ makes a list of all the states w/ permits that require a background check
(DUH... do you know of any state that issues a permit w/o a background check?
So the list = every state except IL & VT. There. That's taken care of.)

175.49 (4) DOJ to design special cards for LEO

175.60 (2m) DOJ to design permit; contents of permit

175.60 (5) DOJ to design application & renewal forms; shall be completed NLT the 1st day of the 2nd month after the effective date of this paragraph
[which is the day after publication]

947.01 (2) carry by itself is not DC

section 100 (1) DOJ shall do what it says in 165.25 (12)

section 100 (2) until the 1st day of the 5th month after publication, DOJ has 45 days to process applications

Taking effect on 01JUL:
20.455 (2) (gs) fees for background checks for licenses go toward funding the program

section 100 (h) talks about funding / appropriations

Everything else takes effect on the 1st day of the 4th month after publication.

ETA: I put this into a blog post so it's easy to find later

Last edited:

xenophon

I am willing to believe you, however, I see nowhere in the definition of what the permit allows you to do the word 'concealed'. In addition, there is no definition of 'concealed'. I contend that the permit, while it is called 'License to carry a concealed weapon.' it never mentions concealing or manner of carrying.

175.60 is the part that defines the permit and the process. Starts on page 7 of https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/enrolled/sb93.pdf

The only place I see the word 'concealed' is when the section describes the out of state license. 175.60(f)

SECTION 38. 175.60 of the statutes is created to read:
175.60 License to carry a concealed weapon.

Then it defines what a Licensee is in 175.60 (d):

(d) “Licensee” means an individual holding a valid
license to carry a concealed weapon issued under this section.

-----

ETA: Ack, ok I just read further and saw this:

175.60 (2) ISSUANCE AND SCOPE OF LICENSE
175.60 (2) (c): Unless expressly provided in this section, this section
does not limit an individual’s right to carry a firearm
that is not concealed.

Last edited:

CrimsonSoul

I'm a Texas resident but have step children and in-law in Wi. I'm confused about some of the bill will Wi recognize some permits from other states or will I need to apply for a Wi permit and does the bill allow for open (I know Wi is an oc state via it's constitution) and concealed carry or is it only for cc? Thanks in advance for your help

paul@paul-fisher.com

I'm a Texas resident but have step children and in-law in Wi. I'm confused about some of the bill will Wi recognize some permits from other states or will I need to apply for a Wi permit and does the bill allow for open (I know Wi is an oc state via it's constitution) and concealed carry or is it only for cc? Thanks in advance for your help

WI will NOT issue WI permits to out of state residents.

That being said, the new law says that the WI DOJ will create a list of states whose permits will recognize. The criteria to be on that list is that the state has to mandate background checks or that they can be optional but indicated that the permit holder opted in. Does TX permit require a background check? If so, WI will most likely recognize it.

paul@paul-fisher.com

ETA: Ack, ok I just read further and saw this:

175.60 (2) ISSUANCE AND SCOPE OF LICENSE
175.60 (2) (c): Unless expressly provided in this section, this section
does not limit an individual’s right to carry a firearm
that is not concealed.

I thought I had seen that but every time I look I over look it.

MKEgal

paul said:
the WI DOJ will create a list of states whose permits will recognize. The criteria to be on that list is that the state has to mandate background checks or that they can be optional but indicated that the permit holder opted in.
Which states issue permits with no background check?
I've never heard of such an animal.
Were the legislators just CYA?

xc9subcompact

I have been watching this issue closely and am glad to see WI is finally joining the majority of states with Concealed Carry.
I have some questions that I can't seem to find the answers to myself.

1. At one time, there was language in the proposed bill that stated that the background check required by another state for the issuance of that states permit was considered to be a background check for WI, this was to handle the Federal GFSZ act language regarding the exemption for permit holders. Is this language still in the bill as passed?

2. For the purpose of an non WI resident, is the type of background check done by another state defined here in WI? I don't see any state issuing a permit that doesn't do some type of check. Will this be a discretionary finding by the AG or whemever makes the list of permits deemed acceptible?

3. For residents, it looks like one way to qualify for a WI permit is a current or expired out of state issued permit. States like PA have no training requirments, does this mean a WI resident with a PA permit is qualified to receive a WI pemit on that basis?

Thanks in advance.