• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

$15 gum stick video camera

SavageOne

Will this camera work with the USB plugged in for charging? I only ask, because I wonder if it would work in combo with something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5000mAh-Externa...513792?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item41572e1bc0

I have also been considering a camera/watch combo. like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4GB-Full-HD-108...607?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3369a7ef87

They go up to 16 GB, but from everything I've read the battery life makes anything over 4 GB overkill. There also may be an issue with the audio picking up the ticking of the watch. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

carsontech

Activist Member
I found where one company had these in stock here in the US, so no shipping from China. I ordered 2 of them at 17.99 piece and free shipping. One for me and one for the wife. Hopefully quality control is good for whoever makes these things.

Yard Sale

Either my microSD card is messed up, or I'm an idiot. All I can get is a solid red light. No blinking, and no recording as far as I can tell.
So did you decide definitively if there is no improvement from the class 6 microSD cards?
Yeah the C6 cards don't help. QuickTime Player shows ~30 frames per second regardless. It maxes out at 30.99 fps. (Whatever I was using before reported the slower framerate.)

Left switch down for video. Right switch up for On. Hold button for a few seconds to get one flash of the red light. It's now standing by. Press button to get flashing red light. It's now recording. Press button again to stop recording and return to standby. Do not stop recording with the On/Off switch or you will lose the recording!

I numbered all my cameras and generally use #1. Yesterday I was using #2 and #3 and soon after I put them both in standby mode, they both started recording. I think they have the sound-activated recording feature but camera #1 doesn't.

Last edited:

GuidoZ

Will this camera work with the USB plugged in for charging? I only ask, because I wonder if it would work in combo with something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5000mAh-Externa...513792?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item41572e1bc0
I have a portable USB charger for my phone, and this camera WILL NOT continue to record while being charged. (This is one of the first things I tried - was very sad to learn it won't.) As soon as you plug in the power, the camera switches to charging mode (red/green solid on) and no video is saved (if it was recording), nor can you start recording until it is unplugged.

--
Peace. ~G

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I've received my camera and am quite pleased with the video and sound quality of the recording.

I am, however, having no success in getting the camera to recognize the "time.txt" file so as to have a date/time stamp show on the recorded file. I believe I have followed the instructions on the sheet that came with the camera, but no joy on changing the time/date on the camera. Any advice?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I am, however, having no success in getting the camera to recognize the "time.txt" file so as to have a date/time stamp show on the recorded file. I believe I have followed the instructions on the sheet that came with the camera, but no joy on changing the time/date on the camera. Any advice?

You named it "time.txt"?

Did you read the following:

The detail as following:

1. build a text called TAG.TXT under root directory of card.

2. open TAG.TXT, write synchronous data according to enclosure strictly.
Details as following:
[date] need space with newline
2009/07/22 need space with newline
12: 00: 00
Power on the machine everytime, system will check and analyze TAG.TXT, then set system time according to file time. After that the text will be deleted by system automatically.
?

GuidoZ

The issue with the way it does the time is you have to leave the device on, otherwise it will lose the correct time. Since the file is deleted after the time is set, it's basically useless, unless you kill the battery and leave it on. :)

--
Peace. ~G