• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

For those of us that will be buying a Taser......

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Options for my wife

I'm thinking of a good stun gun for my wife, as she has shown some interest in those. After she's comfortable with carrying and situational awareness, she might consider a firearm. (She's a good shot with targets, but needs exposure to combat shooting in IDPA, and a course that teaches threat assessment and personal defense.)

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

IMO, alone a stungun or tazer is not an effective option. But in a 'team' approach, wife/gf carries a back up revolver and a tazer is a pretty effective combo to your main SA HG. You carry the OC for your non-lethal option. Both carry flashlights >100 lumen.

I wonder what the legality would be if you tazed someone and then your partner had to shoot them? 'Your honor they tortured my client who was just trying to turn his life around and then his girlfriend shot him in the leg' (kidding)

(I just got a new one. Little 4" Coleman ultra-HP 3 AAA, 140 lumens. V. Nice. It's not easy to find a cheap one with that power on AAA.)

510539.jpg

I wish they would make part of the end at 1" dia. so one could slide these into HG light/accessory holders.

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Haven't Read It Through Yet...But What Are "Electic Weapons" Under The New Law?

I will have to do some research on what is an allowed or legal electric weapon under the new law. Some states allow stun guns but not guns that fire projectiles such as TASERS.

Here is the TASER I like: http://www.taser.com/products/wildlife/taser-x3w#features-specs

Of course you cannot use that one on humans. It is a bad A** TASER!

I carried a 100,000 Volt Stun Gun in a holster when I lived in Florida and my Glock 36. Sometimes less than lethal is best!

I carry a Guardian Angel (original model) now and will continue to do so after the bill becomes law.

M

McX

i wont stand near you if it's raining. you'll cook yourselves if you get wet.

oliverclotheshoff

I will have to do some research on what is an allowed or legal electric weapon under the new law. Some states allow stun guns but not guns that fire projectiles such as TASERS.

Here is the TASER I like: http://www.taser.com/products/wildlife/taser-x3w#features-specs

Of course you cannot use that one on humans. It is a bad A** TASER!

I carried a 100,000 Volt Stun Gun in a holster when I lived in Florida and my Glock 36. Sometimes less than lethal is best!

I carry a Guardian Angel (original model) now and will continue to do so after the bill becomes law.

here is a video of that taser it is amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px_N2WLE1yo

DangerClose

if the prongs don't make contact with skin, then they are pretty useless, the barbs have to hook under the skin..

I think pepper spray is a better idea than a taser, especially in the winter months of WI, but I'm not a self-defense teacher or anything, so if someone wants to argue against pepper spray, feel free.

rcav8r

I think pepper spray is a better idea than a taser, especially in the winter months of WI, but I'm not a self-defense teacher or anything, so if someone wants to argue against pepper spray, feel free.

there are still limits on mace/pepper spray in WI. Something like not over 2oz, and only a small percentage of capsun (sp-the actual stuff that makes it hurt). The CCW law didn't change that. I looked it up some time last year, but forget the actual details.

Oh, also, no dyes in it either. Can't be marking your attacker, now, can we?

Passive101

Did the CCW bill make stun guns and tasers legal? I didn't see that when I browsed over it, but maybe I missed it.

btw I don't recommend stun guns since that gets someone far to close to an attacker or attackers. Tasers usually have 1 shot and civilian models stay on for about 30 seconds assuming they don't break when dropped (most people drop them after using them and not set them down). They have some that are quicker change models, but you won't be using it on a group of people very easily or if you miss.

Clothing can prevent them from working properly. Multiple layers are even worse for penetration compared to one thick coat etc.

I'm still curious about the legalities of this.

btw. Any chance sword canes are now legal?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
How do tasers work against an individual with heavier (winter) clothing?

Thick clothing and leather jackets can present problems for a Taser.

I'd think carefully about carrying a Taser AND a gun. If you shot somebody with your gun, a DA could easily try to question whether you used the minimum amount of force available to you. "Why did you shoot this guy with a gun when you had a "less-than-lethal" Taser available to you? And what if you're unfortunate to have the guy you taze die, either from the Taser or hitting his head as he falls? "I didn't mean for him to die!" Well, he's dead anyway: Negligent or unintentional homicide charges anyone? Wrongful death lawsuit?

Police have continuum of force training that corresponds to the lethal and less-than-lethal weaponry they carry. Most non-LEO won't have that sort of instruction that they can use to back up their decision.

Another issue on Tasers. You have to remember that a Taser can light someone up for five seconds at a time. Once the jolt stops that person is fully capable of physically resisting and fighting, and is probably pissed as hell too. What are you going to do with them then? Do you have back up and handcuff also?

Not saying don't get a Taser, but make sure you think it through before getting one. It's not all that simple.