• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA Basic Pistol *_instructor_* course in Milwaukee in JUL

MKEgal

If you have $500 to invest in training,
are available on FRI 15JUL starting at 9am,
and want to be an NRA instructor, here's how to sign up.

Once you're certified, you might be able to help teach free basic classes so people can get permits, once the content & instructors are decided upon by WCI,
& I'm sure many more people will want training beyond the very basics.

Go to the NRA class search page here,
under the right hand column of classes click the 3rd box down,
use 53209 for the zip (lower left),
& it's the only one that comes up.

You do have to be an NRA member (it asks for your member #).
Cheapest membership is $10/year.
I think I've attached a PDF of the shooting & handling requirements.

ETA: In talking with Scott Taetsch 27JUN, who among other things trains the trainers in the WI/UP area & is the NRA senior field rep. (some of us met or saw him @ the Richfield Cabela's SB93 meeting), he strongly suggested staying away from classes given by an out-of-state trainer who travels to give classes.
This could show a quality or reputation problem in his local area.
YMMV, your decision is your own. Me, I'm saving $200 even though I have to go to IL.

Last edited:

MKEgal

save $200

If you're not averse to spending a weekend among the FIB's,
as well as saving about $200...
There's one the same weekend in Villa Park, IL; 60181 for $185.
Use the same search link above, w/ different zip code.

As of the morning of Tues. 28JUL he has 3 spots left. After that, he'll keep a wait list.
Payment due to his POB (or via PayPal) by 06JUL.
Same practical pre-test as above, same written test as the basic pistol class (open book, 90%).

From the class info link:
BSA Leaders, Military vets and active law enforcement recieve a $25 discount.
VFW R&P members recieve a $75 Discount.

This hotel is close & cheap:
Americas Best Value Inn-Glen Ellyn/Chicago
675 Roosevelt Rd.; Glen Ellyn, IL; 60137
(630) 469-8500
($51/night w/ microwave & fridge, so you don't have to eat out; free wi-fi; cold breakfast)

Even with gas, tolls, & hotel, I'll come out about $200 better off than the MKE class.
So... anyone wanna carpool? I've got an I-pass. :cool: Nonsmoking, please.
And if there are any women who'd like to share a room, PM me. We can get 2 queen beds.
I might even consider a well-behaved man w/ a note to that effect from your wife or GF. :lol:

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

MKEgal
And if you're not averse to spending a weekend among the FIB's,

(630) 469-8500
($51/night w/ microwave & fridge, so you don't have to eat out; free wi-fi; cold breakfast)

So... anyone wanna carpool? I've got an I-pass.

Some of us would have a hard time budgeting the $$$ for this if was at half the cost....

Just sayin...

Outdoorsman1

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
And if you're not averse to spending a weekend among the FIB's,

(630) 469-8500

Even with gas, tolls, & hotel, I'll come out about $200 better off than the MKE class.
So... anyone wanna carpool? I've got an I-pass. :cool: Nonsmoking, please.
And if there are any women who'd like to share a room, PM me. We can get 2 queen beds.
I might even consider a well-behaved man w/ a note to that effect from your wife or GF. :lol:

HOT DAMN

I have family near there I can stay with, and save $300

IN !!!!

MKEgal

Outdoorsman1 said:
Some of us would have a hard time budgeting the $$$ for this if was at half the cost...
I understand completely.
I've been unemployed for well over a year, other than a few temp jobs.
There are lots of things I've had to remind myself I can't afford.

I'm treating this as an investment. Not only in 1) my training & skills,

but 2) for helping other people get training for their WI CHP free, which makes society safer,

and 3) for doing regular classes. With the announcement of SB93, instructors are completely swamped. This can mean work/income for me.
And with my other training/education/experience, I can reach "special populations" other people might not.
And yes, I'd offer WCI members the same bargain I got on my basic pistol class from the cat w/ the M4. But I think most of you already have training.

Last edited:

MKEgal

XD40-OD said:
7/22 and 8/6 there are the same courses in the chicago area
7/22 is the same travelling $500 guy as I'd originally found doing the MKE course.
8/6 $375 in Dundee, IL
8/13 $295 in Oswego, IL

Options, options, so many options... :)

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

I understand completely.
I've been unemployed for well over a year, other than a few temp jobs.
There are lots of things I've had to remind myself I can't afford.

I'm treating this as an investment. Not only in 1) my training & skills,

2) but for helping other people get their WI CHP free (whatever WCI sets up), which makes society safer,

3) and for doing regular classes. With the announcement of SB93, instructors are completely swamped. This can mean work/income for me.
And with my other training/education/experience, I can reach "special populations" other people might not.
And yes, I'd offer WCI members the same bargain I got on my basic pistol class from the cat w/ the M4. But I think most of you already have training.

All EXCELLENT and AWESOME reasons to justify the cost... I totally agree with your way of thinking.

Good on you...

Seriously, pencil me in as one of your first students... I would consider it "special" training if you were the instuctor...

I consider the money I spend on my firearms as an investment in my safety as well as a financial investment for the future, because I have already checked into that if anyone has to file bankruptcy (sp?), your firearms are one of the few things you get to keep. "They" cannot "force" you to sell them so pay of creditors.... but in a worst case senario, I suppose I could part with a few if I had too....

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

CalicoJack10

I just have to throw in my $0.02

Convincing people that all they need is NRA basic pistol is dangerous. It will lead to people who are untrained and dangerous to innocent bystanders.

MKEgal

CalicoJack10 said:
Convincing people that all they need is NRA basic pistol is dangerous.
It will lead to people who are untrained and dangerous to innocent bystanders.
Gotta start somewhere. NRA basic pistol is a basic marksmanship & safety class.

Students have to have that in order to take more advanced classes, which is one of the 2 reasons I took it. (The other reason being so I could teach it. By the time I took the class, my skills were beyond it.)

Instructors have to have the basic pistol instructor cert to teach more advanced classes.

Eventually I'd like to take & teach the 2 personal protection classes, too, & I'd recommend them to my basic pistol students. But I'm starting where I've got to start.

MKEgal

Outdoorsman1 said:
Seriously, pencil me in as one of your first students... I would consider it "special" training if you were the instuctor...
The only thing I'll be able to teach/certify will be the NRA basic pistol class.
It's really, really basic.
(The "first steps" class is really really really basic.)
For more useful self-defense training, take a trip up north to see Calico Jack, or find an NRA personal protection inside/outside the home class local to you.

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
Anyone able to get confirmation that it will fullfill the WI CCW training requirement?

It's the only way I could see value in being an instructor.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Convincing people that all they need is NRA basic pistol is dangerous. It will lead to people who are untrained and dangerous to innocent bystanders.

Who's claiming that the NRA basic pistol course is "all they need?" That course is simply designed to introduce a person to the safe handing, maintenance, storing and shooting of handguns. It's a good start for most people. It's not a combat or defensive shooting course and it doesn't claim to be.

For purposes of the new CC law it does meet the training requirement, but that was based on the judgment of the legislature, not you or I or other gun instructors. The hunter's safety program, which if I recall correctly when my son took it 13 years ago, has nothing whatsoever about handguns in it. And even that meets the minimum training requirement.

If WCI gets on board with training, I doubt it would be simply the presentation of an NRA designed course, but something designed around WI's CC law. But part of becoming an NRA instructor is the material about how to become a more effective instructor-- something valuable for whatever you're teaching.

Outdoorsman1

The only thing I'll be able to teach/certify will be the NRA basic pistol class.
It's really, really basic.
(The "first steps" class is really really really basic.)
For more useful self-defense training, take a trip up north to see Calico Jack, or find an NRA personal protection inside/outside the home class local to you.

I understand what the course is and quite frankly, I am past that stage in my learning experiance, buy hey... I just thought it would be great to be "one of your first students"... kinda like a "Good for you girl.... count me in" type thing....

Outdoorsman1

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Once you're certified, you can help WCI teach the free basic classes so people can get permits,

May I just request that you not suggest that taking this particular course you are advocating would enable someone to "help WCI" teach any classes.

The content and nature of any training offered by Wisconsin Carry has not been determined and at such time as it is, only the officers of the organization would be able to make promises about who or how people would participate in teaching those classes. We have not yet decided what qualifications would be required of anyone who did teach classes on behalf of the organization.

It is misleading to suggest that this training would put someone in a position to be teaching any classes for WCI. You are not authorized to make those claims.

M

McX

The content and nature of any training offered by Wisconsin Carry has not been determined and at such time as it is,

Ie: WAIT! it shall be revealed unto you. it's not to el gov's desk yet. Patience.

MKEgal

XD40-OD said:
Anyone able to get confirmation that it will fullfill the WI CCW training requirement?
It's the only way I could see value in being an instructor.
If all you want is a WI cc license, there are lots of easier things you can do.
If you want to be able to bring others a bit further along in their beginning skills, this is one way to do it.

Nik, I'm sorry I made the assumption that someone certified by the NRA could do the free classes WCI talked about offering (while SB93 was first gathering steam).
I'll change that in my posts.

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

That is the argument which is used to try and ban Open Carry and Constitutional carry in general. It is a page right out of the WAVE play book nearly verbatim..... If you are carrying for self defense, you are of no danger except to a potential attacker unless you are totally inept. You would not draw to stop a theft or other crime that is absent of an imminent threat to your life. You are not allowed to continue firing if the attacker turns and runs away...etc

Last edited: