• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are the plans for future legislation?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
It is not illegal to carry in an establishment that serves alcohol. It is illegal to sit at a bar.

"any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose"

The dpt of agriculture site isn't clear.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2010/790.06

Exactly, it isn't clear. Kinda like 'briefly.' It's not clear. And thus, stupid.

77zach

Well, I spoke to Rep Dennis Baxley and he will continue to support OC legislation in the House, but he doesn't want to challenge any incumbents, i.e. Charlie Dean. Depending on how the districts are remapped, he will consider it. So I suppose "briefly" being taken out by amendment to another gun bill is our best bet after CJ committee, as Dean may not feel any pressure to even act pro-gun if he doesn't have a serious challenger. Could be that you could get a bill legalizing OC in unincorporated areas, state parks, etc past him. But if you pass that, then that might sabotage general OC down the line.

77zach

NRA: Right to Open Carry under attack...... In Rock Hill, Missouri !!!

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=7037

What's the big deal? According to the NRA in Florida, nobody cares about general OC. And what is this about a "right" to open carry? If no one cares in a state of 18 million, are there really that many who care in Rock Hill, Missouri? There may be a few people who are worried about accidental exposure of a concealed firearm, but I think "right" is a little strong. I hope this OC talk doesn't come here to Florida, I'm perfectly content with paying dues to an organization fighting for a few more acres of hunting lands.

Sarcasm off,

I'm grateful for the NRA, but perturbed at their apathy toward OC. Glad they're fighting for town of Rock Hill.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
So what's the deal, do we have another bill for next year ? or no? What do we have to do to get one?

77zach

So what's the deal, do we have another bill for next year ? or no? What do we have to do to get one?

I've heard Fl carry is working on a bill that will let you OC in more places than you can now. I don't know if rural OC is the way to go though. I guess something is better than nothing, but I'm worried it will hurt general OC later. Mach1Chris said he spoke with senator Evers recently and said he was going to try and cross out "briefly". One advantage of that could be that an "open carry bill" may not be required to do such a small modification. You might be able to just put in an amendment to an existing bill at the appropriate time.

To get a bill solely for OC, you need a sponsor. Fl Carry has a potential sponsor, but they said the incident in Venice made him/her skiddish. Which is pathetic, but, you have to work with what you got.

Last edited:

Rich7553

I've heard Fl carry is working on a bill that will let you OC in more places than you can now. I don't know if rural OC is the way to go though. I guess something is better than nothing, but I'm worried it will hurt general OC later. Mach1Chris said he spoke with senator Evers recently and said he was going to try and cross out "briefly". One advantage of that could be that an "open carry bill" may not be required to do such a small modification. You might be able to just put in an amendment to an existing bill at the appropriate time.

To get a bill solely for OC, you need a sponsor. Fl Carry has a potential sponsor, but they said the incident in Venice made him/her skiddish. Which is pathetic, but, you have to work with what you got.

Florida Carry is shopping the expanded OC rights bill as we speak, however due to redistricting going on, legislators are extremely gunshy (sorry) about any "contentious" bills this session.

77zach

Florida Carry is shopping the expanded OC rights bill as we speak, however due to redistricting going on, legislators are extremely gunshy (sorry) about any "contentious" bills this session.

I get the impression talking with my very pro OC rep that the negative publicity did it in. If someone were to sponsor a pro rights bill removing bar areas from the list of prohibited places, or adding to the list of exceptions in section 25, or anything affecting 790, a "brief" amendment could be offered on the senate floor before it goes to the more sympathetic House.

Rich7553

I get the impression talking with my very pro OC rep that the negative publicity did it in. If someone were to sponsor a pro rights bill removing bar areas from the list of prohibited places, or adding to the list of exceptions in section 25, or anything affecting 790, a "brief" amendment could be offered on the senate floor before it goes to the more sympathetic House.

Can you elucidate on "negative publicity"? Are you speaking of the Venice event?

77zach

Can you elucidate on "negative publicity"? Are you speaking of the Venice event?

Just that pro-tyranny media (do I repeat myself) hyped the "open carry bill" from January to April. Not the Venice event. It would be better if the media didn't hear anything about it until it's too late. Then they can have their fit, and once OC is legal and nothing happens, it will be forgotten.

Last edited:

10x

Is there any hope in removing the word "Brief"

Last edited: