• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Atmosphere in Marshall County (Guntersville)

Neo

Campaign Veteran
Does anyone have any experience OC-ing in Marshall County Alabama (Guntersville)? What's the general atmosphere there? TIA

Kirbinator

Retirees and on the weekend, bass boat championships as far as the eye can see.

In short, I don't know. I don't remember if I've OC'd there or not. I have in Arab. Got a few raised eyebrows, didn't get the police called on me.

steveman01

I've been Oc'n for a few years now, and It's been a very pleasant experience. Only problems I've had was being asked to leave Sears and Walmart both in Boaz. After speaking with the manager during the walmart incident everything was cool, just went on shopping. Well I do have to change banks now cause Wells Fargo isn't as concerned for my safety/freedom as Wachovia was, can't oc in there no more. I'll probly check out peoples, I think they may be gun friendly. Cops have just looked and maybe waved and that's about it. Never Arrested, detained or otherwise harassed outside of the "checkpoints". Not really any police "encounters".

Just the other day I saw another man OC'n in the Guntersville courthouse (renewing tags) which reminded me to get back on here, I would have liked to speak with him about his experience but didn't want to pester him during his business. No one even gave him any looks. I wouldn't expect anyone OC'n here to have any problems, if anything a nice chat and better service at businesses. As well as more room in a crowded fishing hole lol.

OC'n and lovin' it, Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Deacon Blues

It's great to hear about your experience in the Guntersville courthouse. Just OCing outside the B'ham courthouse will get you a lot of unwanted attention (six cars, a van, two bicycles, and a horse)!

Banks are really a mixed bag. At least most of them seem to know what their corporate policy is. Personally, I've have good experience with Compass, and I know that Regions educates their tellers in and adheres to state handgun laws.

AL Ranger

Now now, don't be all huffy because you guys went to go see a court in action and the circus showed up instead. :p
Absolutely the best description of what happened when we went there. A circus and a parade!

I've ridden through Guntersville several times on my bike while OCing and stopped at Wendy's and Subway on US431 and haven't had any problems. But, admittedly my stops have been brief and not too many people notice a pistol when you drive by on a motorcycle.

Last edited:

Jduck1987

I joined this forum just so I could talk about OC in Marshal county.

I just learned about my right to OC and have just recently started doing so. Today I was at the sheriffs office to renew my concealed carry license and when I got home I noticed that the first line on the back said "This pistol permit does not permit you to carry a gun openly". I thought to myself it does not permit me to wear socks, but I can anyway. So I called the sheriffs office to ask what their interpretation on the legality of OC'ing and I was told you could not. I then asked what state law prohibited me from doing so and I was told "it does not matter what law it is, you just cant". I asked to speak to someone who was more knowledgeable on the subject, after a grunt I was transferred to an "interpretations officer" (I have no clue what an interpretations officer is) he told me you can not OC and stated Section 13A-11-52 of the Alabama state code and hung up on me.

During both of my conversations with people at the sheriffs office I was met with disdain and contempt. What can I do to educate my self-serving "civil servants"? Should I talk to the DA and ask what his interpretation on the legality of OC'ing is so that he can pass it along to the officers that will inevitably arrest me?

Eddie Fulmer

It's great to hear about your experience in the Guntersville courthouse. Just OCing outside the B'ham courthouse will get you a lot of unwanted attention (six cars, a van, two bicycles, and a horse)!

Aside from wasting some time it was fun and entertaining. After it was all over that is!! A true learning experience.

AirBear

Jduck,
Suggest you check out/join www.alabamaopencarry.com.
There you will find the resources you might want on hand to comfort you on your daily OC walks.
After printing out the various pdf documents having to do with DA and AG opinions on OC in Alabama, I suggest you make an appointment with the DA for Marshall Co. At your meeting with him, present your documents along with your concerns related to your conversation with sheriff department personnel.
This should clear up any misinterpretation of law. Ask him for his opinion in writing, whether it differs from other opinions or not. This will show a good faith effort on your part to be in compliance with the law.
Also suggested is the wearing of a voice recorder any time you are OC, for your protection.

Brimstone Baritone

What can I do to educate my self-serving "civil servants"? Should I talk to the DA and ask what his interpretation on the legality of OC'ing is so that he can pass it along to the officers that will inevitably arrest me?

I'd say vote for the other guy next time around. Heck, campaign for the other guy. If there is no 'other guy' BE the other guy.

You could try sending a letter certified mail asking for a policy in writing, but that hasn't worked very often. Keep on them. Call back and ask for the 'interpretation' officer's supervisor. Ask the sheriff personally to show you what law you would be arrested under. Get it on tape or in writing. It will help you prove your civil rights lawsuit if the are stupid enough to arrest you.

FTG-05

Do what I did: write the police chief/sheriff and ask if it's legal and if not, what specific AL law forbids it. I sent it to both the PC and the City Attorney but only received a response from the PC. His first statement was "OC is legal in AL...". His response is in the 'Documents and Tools" section of the ALOC home page. If you need or want a copy of what I wrote him, ask and you shall receive.