• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Got You To...

ZackL

So, I've been sitting here and in what little time I have to myself lately, I've been wondering what got everyone interested in open carrying. For me, it was simple deduction. There's a permit to conceal carry, so there must be open carry. Growing up in Colorado, I knew that many people had guns on them all the time. Even more with those that didn't have the permit. However, I had only seen a few people open carry and all of them were in venues where it may be considered normal (think western style events). After I did a little digging at 21, I came across OCDO and then a whole new world opened up and here I am.

Just thought it may be interesting to know how everyone got started in OC.

entartet17

I started to OC for a couple reasons. I got my first handgun when I was 18 or 19. Not being 21 yet, OC was my only option. I started actually doing it because at the time I didn't live in the best area and felt it was necessary to carry a firearm on a regular basis for self-defense.

Now, I still choose to OC over CC mostly because it is more comfortable and I think it is a good way to educate the public about guns and that not everyone who carries a gun is a criminal.

PikesPeakMtnMan

I always knew that OC was legal in Colorado, even as a kid, but I just never quite put 2+2 together I guess (I didn't grow up around guns whatsoever)....I decided to get my CC permit a couple years ago when I was threatened by a crazy ex of the girl I was dating at the time (when that happened I had no way to fight back nor an escape route should something have happened). Since I had ZERO experience with guns up until my CC class I was doing as much research as I could and happened across OCDO. Shortly thereafter I began OCing...even though I still CC much more often.

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
Great thread. Thanks for that. Hope it stimulates some discussion on the Colorado forum.

I lived in Colorado Springs years ago, and twice my home was broken into. That leaves you feeling violated and vulnerable in a truly disturbing sort of way. That somebody broke into your private sanctum, and brings crime directly into your own home, really gets to you on a deeply personal level. But I didn't get a gun at that time.

A few years ago, while on a routine evening while working my job, I was robbed at gunpoint by a guy who came at me from behind my parked car. He pointed his pistol right at my face and demanded my money. I turned over what I had and he demanded my keys. Once he had those, he threw them as far as he could into the darkness and fled on foot. It dawned on me that he could have fired his weapon regardless of how I behaved during the robbery. I could have been shot and was defenseless in the face of imminent threat to my life.

Still, I didn't buy a gun at that point in time.

Then I met my pardner, bosom buddy and boon companion. He is from Texas. He also had several handguns and made the error of taking me to the range to shoot his pistols. I had not fired any weapon since I was a teenager. Firing his 9mm and .40 cal stimulated my juices, and I enjoyed shooting at the range. We made several visits there and I soon was looking at guns available for purchase and found myself drooling over them.

When Christmas rolled around, my pard bought me a Mossburg Maverick 12ga model 808 and I had my first defensive weapon in many years. But those pistols at the gun shop where they also have a range kept hanging in my mind. I came into a bit of money and bought my first handgun, a Ruger 94 .40 cal that I enjoy shooting. That led to my additional purchases of a Smith and Wesson .38 model 642 for the wife, and a Judge 45 Long Colt/.410 for myself. I also acquired a new XDm .40 compact with an eye toward eventual CCW permits for both the wife and myself. Subsequently, I got the wife a real nice looking Walther PK 380.

Since getting a CCW will take awhile, I decided I will open carry. Having been victimized in the past, I've concluded it was unpleasant to be defenseless. Now I carry everywhere I go where not prohibited. I carry when I take the car to the shop. I carry when at the grocery store. I carry when shopping for DVDs at the video store. I carry when we go out to eat. I am never without a handgun open carried.

Before buying my first weapon, I decided I should know something about the law. I also figured to carry open so decided I should research what the laws are in regard to that. As part of my research, I stumbled on this forum. Once I discovered OCDO, I consumed everything I could regarding laws, carry options, and case law. I learned a great deal and feel I can hold my own in an LEO encounter whenever that time comes. However, in several months and across three states, that ain't happened yet. (knocking wood as I write!)

So far, I've never been asked to remove my weapon or myself from any location and haven't had any encounter with anyone else that was unpleasant. I am content to be left alone and where criminals are concerned and do not respect my desire to be left alone, they'll soon discover I am no longer an easy victim. For them, it will be their turn for an unpleasant experience.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

luv_jeeps

Campaign Veteran
For me it's more of a comfort thing, especially in the spring and summer here as the weather starts getting warm/hot.
I like being able to not worry about an IWB holster digging in my side.
I didn't really start getting into the firearms thing until about 15 years ago when I bought my first handgun, which was a 92FS. At the time, Colorado didn't have the concealed carry option, so you were limited to open carry.
When they passed the concealed carry and preemption in 2003, I took a class and got my permit so I could have many more options..... Not only in Colorado, but other states as well.
I sold the 92FS back to the shop where I got it from and picked up a full size H&K USP, which is my primary open carry firearm. I am still working on getting the Wifey to carry, but she hasn't made the leap yet, although she keeps her CZ or one of my 1911's close by, even when just putzing around the house.

Stay safe out there.

Kingfish

It was comfort for me as well. When I got my permit in '06 in TN (no unlicensed carry), I knew OC was legal but did not even consider it an option. The instructor for the class but was VERY VERY anti-OC, even though he was OC during the class. His arguments did not make much sense to me but I did not give it much thought. I already had an awesome custom IWB holster for my Taurus 24/7 full size 9mm.

After carrying IWB CC and feeling like I was doing something wrong by constantly trying to keep the damn thing hidden and tugging on my shirt and trying not to bend over too much...It only lasted 6 days when I went to a gun shop and bought a cheap OWB holster and never looked back (I use a much better holster now though.) The RARE times I CC I do it in a secure off body rig.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
For me it was finding this message forum while Googling information on getting one's CHP here in Colorado. I wasn't aware that OC was even legal in Colorado! After reading the local and state laws, I dropped by the local police division and asked a few questions. They were ok with it, so after a month of getting used to the idea, I finally braved the masses with my 9mm strapped to my hip and was...

...simultaneously pleased and disappointed in the lack of response. No one seemed to care! Actually, I was more pleased that disappointed. If people had scurried away, I'd probably have reverted to CCing.

ZackL

From what I can tell, this forum is an amazing resource. It was for me and it appears a few others. I do have to ask, beings Since said that it took him a while to get used to it. How long after starting to contemplate OC did you all actually take the leap and do it. Finances and other factors made me wait about a year after I started thinking about it. And once I did I didn't have a single issue being in Eastern Co. and the Springs for the first few months.

Out here, and even around Pueblo, and the Denver Metro Area, it seems like OCing is one of the few things that can break the shell that people have put up to avoid guns and actually get them interested. I have turned a couple people onto guns since carrying and I have at least three small conversations about it a day.

ZackL

I agree, I was just saying that it seems that way because there are still people that I'm sure would disagree.

since9

Campaign Veteran
From what I can tell, this forum is an amazing resource. It was for me and it appears a few others. I do have to ask, beings Since said that it took him a while to get used to it. How long after starting to contemplate OC did you all actually take the leap and do it.

One month. Although I'd CC'd for years, and had OC'd in various combat operations throughout my time in the military, I was nervous as could be OCing among the general public!

...it seems like OCing is one of the few things that can break the shell that people have put up to avoid guns and actually get them interested. I have turned a couple people onto guns since carrying and I have at least three small conversations about it a day.

Same. Not so much the conversations. I've notice the more relaxed I've become, the more relaxed others tend to be, and they ask fewer questions.