• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB93 and what it did to WI GFSZ Statute.

xenophon

Here is my take on how SB93 changes the WI GFSZ statute. I pasted in current 948.605 as of today, and mixed in the language of SB93 as enrolled. I put in red what was tossed out, and underlined what SB93 added.

948.605; Gun-free school zones. 948.605(1) (1) Definitions. In this section:
(a) "Encased" has the meaning given in s. 167.31 (1) (b).
(ac) "Firearm" does not include any beebee or pellet-firing gun that expels a projectile through the force of air pressure or any starter pistol.
(am) "Motor vehicle" has the meaning given in s. 340.01 (35).
(b) "School" has the meaning given in s. 948.61 (1) (b).
(c) "School zone" means any of the following:
1. In or on the grounds of a school.
2. Within 1,000 feet from the grounds of a school.
(2) Possession of firearm in school zone.
(a) Any individual who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone in or on
the grounds of a school is guilty of a Class I felony. Any
individual who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place
that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to
believe, is within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school is
subject to a Class B forfeiture.
(b) Paragraph (a) does not apply to the possession of a firearm by any of the following:
1. On private property not part of school grounds;
1m. A person who possesses the firearm
in accordance with 18 USC 922 (q) (2) (B) (i), (iv),
(v), (vi), or (vii).

1r. Except if the person is in or on the grounds of a

school, a licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (d), or an
out-of-state licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (g).

2. If the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by a political subdivision of the state or bureau of alcohol, tobacco and firearms in which political subdivision the school zone is located, and the law of the political subdivision requires that, before an individual may obtain such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the political subdivision must verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
3. That is not loaded and is:
a. Encased; or
b. In a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
4. By an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
5. By an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;

6.(renumber to 2m) By a law enforcement officer or A state-certified commission warden acting in his or her official capacity; or
7. That is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school grounds for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school grounds is authorized by school authorities.
8. (renumber to 3m) By A person who is legally hunting in a school forest if the school board has decided that hunting may be allowed in the school forest under s. 120.13 (38).

Ok, so the bill cut out some state statues, and referenced *some* of the Federal GFSZ statues, in the 1m reference I put in above.
1m. A person who possesses the firearm
(v), (vi), or (vii).

I'll put those Federal exceptions SB93 included in bold below:

18 USC 922 (q) (2)
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the
possession of a firearm—
(i) on private property not part of school
grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is
licensed to do so by the State in which the
school zone is located or a political subdivision
of the State, and the law of the State or
political subdivision requires that, before an
individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement
authorities of the State or political
subdivision verify that the individual is qualified
under law to receive the license;
(iii) that is—
(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms
rack that is on a motor vehicle;
(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved
by a school in the school zone;
(v) by an individual in accordance with a
contract entered into between a school in the
school zone and the individual or an employer
of the individual;
(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in
his or her official capacity; or
(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an
individual while traversing school premises for
the purpose of gaining access to public or private
lands open to hunting, if the entry on
school premises is authorized by school authorities.

Section 94 of SB 93 stated:

SECTION 94. 948.605 (2) (b) 1m. and 1r. of the statutes
are created to read:
948.605 (2) (b) 1m. A person who possesses the firearm
(v), (vi), or (vii).
1r. Except if the person is in or on the grounds of a
school, a licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (d), or an
out−of−state licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (g).

If I'm reading the WI GFSZ law as amended, SB93 is saying that licensees and out of state licensees can carry up to the school grounds. Within 1000ft of a school ground is perfectly fine, as long as you have that license. Just don't enter that school ground :)

Thoughts?

References:
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/enrolled/sb93.pdf
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2009-title18/pdf/USCODE-2009-title18-partI-chap44-sec922.pdf
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/948/605

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

If I'm reading the WI GFSZ law as amended, SB93 is saying that licensees and out of state licensees can carry up to the school grounds. Within 1000ft of a school ground is perfectly fine, as long as you have that license. Just don't enter that school ground :)

Thoughts?

Yes.

Only other thing it changed was making it only a fine if you don't have a permit and carry in the 1000' zone, before it was a felony.

MKEgal

Since the "zone" issue is no longer a state crime, but is still a federal felony, will we see more arrests/prosecutions on federal charges, or will we see state fines?

Will police understand that it's a ticket, or will they do a felony stop, arrest, confiscation, etc.?
(Based on my experience, I'm betting they'll want to tackle people & seize property.)

I'm glad to see that there's still provision for using a firearm in an educational program approved by a school.

18 USC 922 (q) (2)
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the
school zone is located...;
(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual

As for (v)... if I apply to work at a school & I am OCing when I apply,
& they hire me knowing that I carry,
& it doesn't say in the contract I can't carry (it probably would, but pretend for a sec it doesn't),
could someone make a case that I'm allowed to carry?

Yes, WI law prohibits it, but says it allows the exceptions in federal law, one of which is a contract.
I'm guessing the prosecutor would say that federal law implies that the contract be about guns or mention carrying.

Not that I'm going to try it in WI, mind you...
Though I'd love to take a field trip to UT & get some pictures to blow Jeri's mind!