• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Paul Helmke to step down!!!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Helmke has not said yet what his future plans are, but indicates he will remain in public service.

In other words, he knows he does not stand a chance of getting an honest job.

This is probably better news than most folks realize. Helmke was, for almost all intents and purposes, the sole voice of the Bradys. His replacement will need to build up his own rapport with the lame-stream media (not that it will be that difficult) and with Congress.

stay safe.

Dreamer

The guy who is stepping up to fill Helmke's position, Dennis Henigan, is a lawyer with about 3 decades of experience--mostly experience suing gun manufacturers, retailers, and owners, in his monomaniacal jihad against 2A rights int he US.

He is currently head of Brady's "Legal Action Project", and has been raking in the dough in that position suing gun manufacturers and retailers in connection to far-flung lawsuits attempting to hold them responsible for firearms-related deaths and injury perpetrated by criminals and stupid, negligent people.

He may not have the "recognition" that Helmke has, but Henigan is definitely "connected", and has argued cases in front of several US District Courts, as well as state courts all over the nation. He is an "anti-2A insider" of the most dangerous type, because he is a trial lawyer, and already is known and recognized by many jurisdictions as an "authority".

Helmke leaving is a good thing. Don't get me wrong. He will most likely go back to Fort Wayne, IN and run for mayor again, a city so saturated in violent crime, unemployment, and drugs that it makes Baltimore MD look like Mr Rogers neighborhood. What we see as a good thing, will most likely be a "death knell" for Ft. Wayne. The LAST thing they need--with unemployment over 10%, drug and violent crime on the rise, and a decimated industrial base--is a fruitbat like Helmke at their helm. His leadership of Ft.Wayne from 1987 to 1999 saw crime skyrocket to a point that Ft. Wayne (despite the fact it has a population well under a quarter million) had violent crime stats closer to cities like LA, DC, and Detroit. Helmke leaving Brady is good for us, but woe-betide the poor law-abiding citizens of Ft. Wayne Indiana if he returns to the political stage there...

But Henigan is an experienced anti-2A lawyer. And that does not bode well for the future of gun rights in the US. I think we can expect a MAJOR change in tactics with Brady. Instead of lobbying, PR and media manipulation, I believe we can expect a shift toward an inundation of legal activity from Brady. My guess is that Mr. Henigan is going to spend the majority of Brady's coffers on filing anti-2A lawsuits nationwide--to throw a monkey wrench into the progress being made by groups like SAF on the restoration of 2A rights.

Make no mistake, Henigan is a threat--a much more devious, quiet, and insidious threat than Helmke, but a threat none the less. Henigan is going to attempt to bankrupt the pro-2A movement, as well as retailers and manufacturers through an avalanche of drawn-out lawsuits, mark my words...

The battle lines have shifted--they KNOW they can't win the PR war any more because the People are waking up to their lies. They know that their only chance is to pick the pockets of the 2A movement, so that we can no longer attack the anti-2A policies of cities, states, and the Fed in the courts.

And also, such a change in tactics takes the 2A movement out of the grasp of the "grass roots", and puts it entirely in the rarefied realm of the State and Federal Courts--a venue that most citizens have no access to, no experience with, and no influence over.

Yeah, the folks over at the Brady Campaign are crazy--crazy like a fox...

They've finally realized that "chasing the chickens" (public relations and propaganda) isn't working. So now, they are going to just start eating the eggs (mounting a shotgun-approach legal assault in the courts).

Last edited:

Dreamer

Read his book. He is an accomplished legal professional as previously pointed out.
I would worry, then I would get organized.

http://www.lethallogicthebook.com/?page_id=16

~Whitney

Wow, that snippet from his book was just mind-numbing...

Notice how he just throws out a bunch of vague statistics, and doesn't contextualize anything, and there are NO footnotes or cites. Typical...

He needs to read John Lotts books, or "GunFacts", to see how REAL gun policy research is done.

since9

Campaign Veteran
The guy who is stepping up to fill Helmke's position, Dennis Henigan, is a lawyer with about 3 decades of experience--mostly experience suing gun manufacturers, retailers, and owners, in his monomaniacal jihad against 2A rights int he US.

He is currently head of Brady's "Legal Action Project", and has been raking in the dough in that position suing gun manufacturers and retailers in connection to far-flung lawsuits attempting to hold them responsible for firearms-related deaths and injury perpetrated by criminals and stupid, negligent people.

He's also the reason most states now have laws on their books prohibiting many types of lawsuits against firearms manufacturers, most notably anything which cannot be directly attributable to a defect in materials or workmanship.

...is known and recognized by many jurisdictions as an "authority".

An authority on what? How to game the system and intimidate others via gestapo tactics?

Helmke leaving is a good thing. Don't get me wrong. He will most likely go back to Fort Wayne, IN and run for mayor again, a city so saturated in violent crime, unemployment, and drugs that it makes Baltimore MD look like Mr Rogers neighborhood.

If he's that dedicated to the cause, he should volunteer to help clean up Detroit. Try as I might, however, I would never wish such a tragedy on Motor City.

What we see as a good thing, will most likely be a "death knell" for Ft. Wayne.

Ah, then we agree.

His leadership of Ft.Wayne from 1987 to 1999 saw crime skyrocket to a point that Ft. Wayne (despite the fact it has a population well under a quarter million) had violent crime stats closer to cities like LA, DC, and Detroit.

Wow. An anti-2A person for whom the hard science of statistics holds absolutely no meaning whatsoever. Par for the course.

I believe we can expect a shift toward an inundation of legal activity from Brady. My guess is that Mr. Henigan is going to spend the majority of Brady's coffers on filing anti-2A lawsuits nationwide...

Let's hope he's a financial idiot and bankrupts the lot of them.

Henigan is going to attempt to bankrupt the pro-2A movement, as well as retailers and manufacturers through an avalanche of drawn-out lawsuits, mark my words...

Would it be inappropriate to hope he develops deep vein thrombosis or other potentially fatal illness while sitting on his fat, er...

They know that their only chance is to pick the pockets of the 2A movement...

Good luck. My pockets are so shallow right now they look more like rabbit ears. Hennigan can kiss the proverbial bunny's nose for all I care.

Yeah, the folks over at the Brady Campaign are crazy--crazy like a fox...

Hardly. If they were sane they'd have at least some inkling of statistics, as well as at least a petri dish half full of ethics. Since they have neither, they're just crazy.

c45man

Read his book. He is an accomplished legal professional as previously pointed out.
I would worry, then I would get organized.

http://www.lethallogicthebook.com/?page_id=16

~Whitney

Accomplished???. The fool never did win a case against any of the firearms manufacturers for liability regarding any particular crime or crimes in general. He is the reason why congress passed legislation that protected firearm manufacturers from the frivilous lawsuits brought forth by this loser. The Brady Bunch lost out and showed their ineffectiveness when they sucked their thumbs not being able to stop approx. 25 states from passing "shall issue" permit laws in the last 15 years. Brady bunch stood around and did nothing while firearm ownership became mainstream. This normalization of firearm ownership was brought forth by these less restrictive carry laws.

Dreamer

Accomplished???. The fool never did win a case against any of the firearms manufacturers for liability regarding any particular crime or crimes in general. He is the reason why congress passed legislation that protected firearm manufacturers from the frivilous lawsuits brought forth by this loser. The Brady Bunch lost out and showed their ineffectiveness when they sucked their thumbs not being able to stop approx. 25 states from passing "shall issue" permit laws in the last 15 years. Brady bunch stood around and did nothing while firearm ownership became mainstream. This normalization of firearm ownership was brought forth by these less restrictive carry laws.

This sort of thinking is why the "anti's" have been such a thorn in our side for so long.

To these people, it's NOT about winning a case. They don't file cases like the "manufacturers liability" cases because they think they can win. They do it to force manufacturers, organizations, and individuals tohire lawyers to defend themselves, and spend a LOT of money. Their manufacturers liability cases cost the firearms industry millions of dollars. So in their eyes, they were successful. The never intended those cases to win--they just wanted to draw them out, and cost the manufacturers a boatload of money.

TrailRunner

Ahab got his chance to stab at Moby Dick; that turned out so well for him, too. If Henigan wants to bleed the Brady coffers dry while chasing his own whale, so be it. The self-destruction of the Brady campaign would be a victory for us.