• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia War Museum

Lincoln7

Has anyone OC'd there before? I've heard great things about their 'contents'. I have been meaning to go but do not desire to remain defenseless. I have not been able to obtain any info thus far. Thanks!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Has anyone OC'd there before? I've heard great things about their 'contents'. I have been meaning to go but do not desire to remain defenseless. I have not been able to obtain any info thus far. Thanks!

The one in Hampton Roads? They are adamantly anti! And they will call the po-po if they find out you left it in your car (or at least they were doing that the last time I was there which was 3+ years ago).

stay safe.

Blk97F150

I don't know about their carry policy. The exhibits are nice, but they won't let you take pics of them. There is a sign at the entrance indicating no pics or no cameras (I forget exactly how it was worded). I 'overlooked' the sign to get pics of the Merci Train Car they have on display. :eek:

MSC 45ACP

From their website...

"...The museum was established in 1923 by American Legion Post #25 (The Braxton/Perkins Post) as the American Legion Memorial Museum of Virginia. The City of Newport News assumed administration of the museum in the 1950's...."

Does preemption exist? It is located on CITY Property (Huntington Park) and according to the website and quoted above, administered by the city of Newport News. I've OCd at the partk many times, but never into the museum.

Where would one start the research process? Contacting the museum to see who owns the museum or the city? I'm willing to do the legwork if someone will guide me through the process.

P.S. The "Contact Us" info also has a "nngov.com" e-mail address, too. If I'm not terribly mistaken, they SHOULD allow OC or CC because it appears to be CITY PROPERTY...

MSc

Last edited:

2a4all

"...The museum was established in 1923 by American Legion Post #25 (The Braxton/Perkins Post) as the American Legion Memorial Museum of Virginia. The City of Newport News assumed administration of the museum in the 1950's...."

Does preemption exist? It is located on CITY Property (Huntington Park) and according to the website and quoted above, administered by the city of Newport News. I've OCd at the partk many times, but never into the museum.

Where would one start the research process? Contacting the museum to see who owns the museum or the city? I'm willing to do the legwork if someone will guide me through the process.

P.S. The "Contact Us" info also has a "nngov.com" e-mail address, too. If I'm not terribly mistaken, they SHOULD allow OC or CC because it appears to be CITY PROPERTY...

MSc

The Virginia War Museum is listed as a City Museum on the Parks & Rec Web site.

http://www.nngov.com/parks-and-recreation/museumsectionpage

That would appear to establish the responsible entity.

TFred

Under the webpage "Support Us" tab we find:

Support Us

In 1987, the Virginia War Museum Foundation was established by Newport News City Council and incorporated by the Commonwealth of Virginia to broaden public support for the Virginia War Museum.

Today the Foundation supports such issues as Civil War Preservation, military history, Hampton Roads history, and the mission of the Virginia War Museum. Some members elect to support the Museum's Civil War house museums, Lee Hall Mansion and The Civil War at Endview. .

The foundation is an IRS 501(c)3 classified non-profit organization. Your membership to the Virginia War Museum Foundation is a charitable donation and is tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law.

ETA: Here is the "Support Us" page from a sister museum, Endview Plantation. This one even more clearly shows the direct tie to the city.

Support Us

Endview Plantation is a historic house operated by the Historic Services Division of the City of Newport News Parks and Recreation Department. The Virginia War Museum Foundation serves as an advisory board to support the division's activities. By joining the Virginia War Museum Foundation, patrons can assure Endview Plantation's growth and interpretation of Virginia's dynamic Civil War heritage. Members receive The Correspondent, the official newsletter of the Virginia War Museum, and other mailings throughout the year. In addition, members receive a 10% discount in museum gift shops at the Virginia War Museum, Endview Plantation, and Lee Hall Mansion as well as free entrance to the museums.

TFred

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

I live pretty close to Endview. Perhaps Shannon and I will take a trip there this afternoon. A stop by The Marksman range to say hello to folks there, then to Huntington Park to check out the War Museum.

We'll see what happens and what kind of signs I can take photos of with my phone and reactions that can be read. Can't really afford to go in these places today, but at least we can recon the area to see what sort of reactions we get.

I'll be back in a few hours to post my findings...

Lincoln7

Thanks for putting forth the investigative work, fellas. I got as far as the website and couldn't determine whether it was state owned or not. I found very little information about them on the web in general as well.

MSC 45ACP

War Museum visit / Huntington Park Fire

As posted earlier, I promised to visit Endview, The Marksman and the War Museum.

We walked around at Endview and didn't see any anti-2A signage. Met with a museum docent that offered to give us a tour inside the building, but I didn't want to part with the $6 per person (four of us visiting at the time). I'm sure the docent saw my left hip with Kimber nestled comfortably in the Serpa. She had to be nearly blind not to notice, but nothing was said.

Stopped by The Marksman and visited with some familiar VCDL faces until 2 of my non-shooting children became bored and were a bit too stir-crazy for the place. It was pretty busy and VCDL seemed to be doing well. As I was coming through the front door, some other customers were talking to each other and sharing wrong information about carrying. One told the other that he had to "take out his clip" before he came in the store. I looked around the door for signage to that effect and took a look at them before deciding it was probably better than these particular individuals were better off "being safe". They were both carrying pistols in holsters, but the holsters were in their hands, not on their belts. Their grasp of spoken English was less than impressive.

We arrived at the War Museum at 4:55. We spoke to the docent that informed us the museum closed at 5pm and they didn't let anyone in after 4:30pm. He told us they re-opened at 10 tomorrow morning. I have other things to do tomorrow, so perhaps I'll go sometime this week.

We decided to not let the trip be a total waste of time, so we went to Fort Fun ("Castle Park" as my kids call it). We arrived in time to see one of the "locals" and his family deposit his still-burning charcoal into the Juniper bushes next to their picnic table. I wonder what was going through his mind as the fire started... His wife poured the contents of a gallon-size Igloo cooler onto the growing blaze. It had the same effect as a garden hose on a forest fire. I watched transfixed for about 5 or 10 seconds as his group just stared at the rapidly spreading fire. The rest of the people on the playground did the same... They just watched. Some took out their camera-PHONES to snap pics, but NO ONE appeared to be calling '911'.

After watching this circus for 10 seconds and making sure I wasn't the 27th person to be calling '911', I called and reported the fire and location. After watching 2 park rangers show up in less than 5 minutes (Yep, that there is a fire... Yep... Yep...), a fire truck showed up. Their first hose was about 1" and appeared to just be an Industrial-strength garden hose. It's output and range was about as impressive. It wasn't long enough to reach all the way to the fire, so they just used it long enough to use most of the water in that truck until they decided to bring something a little more serious (3" attack line) to the fire. That used up the rest of the water from the first truck not long after they got the air out of the line and charged it, so truck # 2 arrived a short time later. Truck # 2 was brought closer to the fire after the park rangers opened the gate for vehicle traffic.

They appeared to be overhauling and finishing up when a Newport News LEO walked up to me. He started asking the only white guy in the park questions about what happened. How did he know who had called '911'? Why did he pick me to question? My left side was facing him and he definitely saw the Kimber. he made no mention of it and was very polite.

I answered his questions truthfully and identified the guy that I saw toss the coals. He did ask for my name, address, phone numbers and DOB. Why the DOB? Dunno, probably to ID me and make sure I'm not a BG that gets off watching fires. Having nothing to hide, I answered truthfully. He didn't ask for any ID.

<ducking head to avoid thrown tomatoes and other rotten produce>

We left when fire truck # 1 left and was no longer blocking my car from leaving. We decided to take a ride down to the beach and "fishing pier" (old Rt 17 bridge). We all laughed when we saw the Newport News Fireboat approaching the area where the fire had already been extinguished and overhauled. We laughed even harder when they cranked up their pumps and proceeded to pump at least 500 GPM onto the blackened but already extinguished bushes on shore. What a show! They would have made a Coast Guard 32' Firefighting Port Security Boat PROUD!!! I was impressed. I didn't know those little outboard-powered fireboats were that capable. I know about PTO-driven pumps on CG boats and cutters... This little boat was IMPRESSIVE!

A short time ago, I looked at the local news Internet feeds to see what they had about the fire in the park. They had the basic info right, but of course, they didn't have what you have... The Rest Of The Story.

An interesting OC day, but no reaction to my OC'd pistol, even at a couple places where we expected a reaction.

After they decided the small 'rubber' hose was insufficient, they went back for the 3' line... Pic taken while they were "getting more hose"... heheh...
Note Newport News LEO and Park Ranger on left side of frame. (Yep... that's a fire alright...)

Attachments

• fire2.jpg
    fire2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

chammer

As I live literally only 3 stop lights away from the museum, and have never actually been, I'm going to stop by on my way out to do some running around in just a little bit.

USNA69

I last visited the then-War Memorial Museum in 1954 when I was 8 and lived in the adjoining Ferguson Park Apartments. I am pretty sure that I took my cap pistol, but I can't remember being ejected.

I may have to visit again with my "grown-up" cap pistol.

war mem museum.jpg

Admittedly, this image is a tad earlier than age 8.

chammer

So, I stopped by there on my way out earlier and they had not yet opened. I got there around 11am or so, but they didn't open until noon (12-5pm Sundays). So I did everything else I wanted to do, grabbed some lunch and came back to the house to eat.

Decided to try again and left here about 3pm and made it up there. Walked in with my Glock on my hip, and entrance guy looked at it a few times but sold me a ticket without a word about it. Spent the next hour and half by myself wandering around the exhibits. Again, without a word. At about 4:50pm I made my way back out to the ticket booth, and spoke to the guy directly. Not about what I was wearing, but more about ownership of the museum as asking about carrying most likely wouldn't get anywhere anyways.

The gentleman confirmed that the museum is indeed city owned, and I can also confirm that via my receipt (paid by CC). At the top it clearly reads: Dept of Parks and Recre. Again though, as we were speaking he kept glancing down at my firearm, but made no mention of it. He seemed a bit uneasy with us being the only two people in there, and with my wearing it but he was cool and very nice.

This was my first visit there (unless I did when I was way way younger and don't remember). I must say, its actually very neat and was well worth the $6. The firearms they have on display are simply stunning. Most all are very clean and look like they are still able to be loaded up and fired without an issue.

My only gripe is that it was a tad small, but still lots to see. I actually think going late on a Sunday like I did was what allowed me to be virtually alone in there and I could take my time and read most everything. Took my time so much that I had to rush a couple of the end sections lol. :lol:

Anyways, definitely go if you're able. OC or not, it's worth the visit I think. :)

TFred

LOL...I just found this while browsing a municode list linked to from another post:

http://library.municode.com/HTML/14...html#COOR_CH29PASQREFA_ARTIVVIWAMU_S29-71GEPU

Guess that pretty much sums up ownership as well. :)
It would seem that settles the matter.

Since we don't usually encourage asking permission, I guess we'll have to wait for a report of someone being asked to leave. Perhaps in the past 3 years, they have figured out that they can't prohibit carry any more.

TFred

MSC 45ACP

Wrote e-mail to them...

Here's the response I got from them after askign directly about their Weapons Policy:

Mr. =======,

I am writing in response to your inquiry about firearms regulations at the Virginia War Museum. The museum does not have any regulations or laws pertaining to the lawful carrying of a firearm on its property. If you choose to carry your firearm, please make sure you are in full compliance with the Commonwealth’s laws pertaining to carrying a firearm. If you have any specific questions about carrying your firearm at the Virginia War Museum, or any property controlled by the Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism please call me at 757-591-4848.

Sincerely,

Rob Farrell

Robert C. Farrell

Chief Park Ranger-Visitor Protection

Newport News Parks Division

757-591-4848

rfarrell@nngov.com

=

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Here's the response I got from them after askign directly about their Weapons Policy:

Mr. =======,

I am writing in response to your inquiry about firearms regulations at the Virginia War Museum. The museum does not have any regulations or laws pertaining to the lawful carrying of a firearm on its property. If you choose to carry your firearm, please make sure you are in full compliance with the Commonwealth’s laws pertaining to carrying a firearm. If you have any specific questions about carrying your firearm at the Virginia War Museum, or any property controlled by the Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism please call me at 757-591-4848.

Sincerely,

Rob Farrell

Robert C. Farrell

Chief Park Ranger-Visitor Protection

Newport News Parks Division

757-591-4848

rfarrell@nngov.com

=

Well done MSC!