• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia War Museum

TFred

I am writing in response to your inquiry about firearms regulations at the Virginia War Museum. The museum does not have any regulations or laws pertaining to the lawful carrying of a firearm on its property. If you choose to carry your firearm, please make sure you are in full compliance with the Commonwealth’s laws pertaining to carrying a firearm. If you have any specific questions about carrying your firearm at the Virginia War Museum, or any property controlled by the Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism please call me at 757-591-4848.
Well, that was professionally courteous, but I kinda get the feeling he didn't like what he had to write there one bit... This wording (bolded) would seem to indicate that he might not even understand that the "law" for openly carrying does not exist.

TFred

2a4all

Here's the response I got from them after askign directly about their Weapons Policy:

Mr. =======,

I am writing in response to your inquiry about firearms regulations at the Virginia War Museum. The museum does not have any regulations or laws pertaining to the lawful carrying of a firearm on its property. If you choose to carry your firearm, please make sure you are in full compliance with the Commonwealth’s laws pertaining to carrying a firearm. If you have any specific questions about carrying your firearm at the Virginia War Museum, or any property controlled by the Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism please call me at 757-591-4848.

Sincerely,

Rob Farrell

Robert C. Farrell

Chief Park Ranger-Visitor Protection

Newport News Parks Division

757-591-4848

rfarrell@nngov.com

=
Well Done, MSC!

Well, that was professionally courteous, but I kinda get the feeling he didn't like what he had to write there one bit... This wording (bolded) would seem to indicate that he might not even understand that the "law" for openly carrying does not exist.

TFred

Tfred, so what! It's not his job to explain the laws, just to comply with them, which he appears to be doing. He does point out that the Museum has no policy, which is exactly in compliance with state law.

MSC 45ACP

Thank you all. It is as it should be everywhere... It was quick and painless for us. I agree with TFred... It may have been a difficult pill for the Chief Ranger to swallow, but he did it professionally and courteously. We couldn't expect anything more. I'm looking forward to going to the museum soon. Probably next weekend.

chammer

While on the subject of museum's since this one seems solved now, does anyone know about The Mariner's Museum or Virginia Living Museum? Has anyone carried to either or both without issue? The Mariner's Museum appears to be privately owned, but VLM I can't tell. VLM does state that 17% of its funding is from Newport News City (http://www.thevlm.org/Funding.aspx), however. I don't know enough to know if this means anything or not though.

MSC 45ACP

Many of us have OCd at the Mariner's Museum without a problem. We've all seen signs posted near the parking areas that prohibit carrying of weapons on the trails.

I haven't been to the VLM in quite a while, so I can't say if they allow or discourage carrying there.

grylnsmn

Many of us have OCd at the Mariner's Museum without a problem. We've all seen signs posted near the parking areas that prohibit carrying of weapons on the trails.

I haven't been to the VLM in quite a while, so I can't say if they allow or discourage carrying there.

They didn't have any signs in April/May of last year when I visited the VLM with my family. (I had to CC at the time to avoid issues with my aunt, but there were no signs prohibiting any form of carry.)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
So now I really want to know why the War Museum folks had a major hissy-fit 4 years ago (I went back and looked it up) when a bunch of Tet vets showed up with pistols on their hips for an event that the War Museum was a major sponsor for. We were polite and most of us had even bathed that morning, yet when the police showed up they told us the museum staff were the ones that called to either get us or our guns to leave.

Sorry that my original comment, based on one incident, was not accurate as far as the law goes.

Many thanks to all who looked into the situation and did the boot-on-the-ground recon.

stay safe.

MSC 45ACP

Skid:

Thank you for your original post. I'm glad they've since changed their attitude/learned the law about OC.
It disturbs me that they were disrespectful to a bunch of 'Nam vets, regardless of their hygenic habits.
I think they could have handled it better than they did. We've all gotten an education about Newport News. Old habits die hard. Bitter pills can be hard to swallow as well...

TFred

So now I really want to know why the War Museum folks had a major hissy-fit 4 years ago (I went back and looked it up) when a bunch of Tet vets showed up with pistols on their hips for an event that the War Museum was a major sponsor for. We were polite and most of us had even bathed that morning, yet when the police showed up they told us the museum staff were the ones that called to either get us or our guns to leave.

Sorry that my original comment, based on one incident, was not accurate as far as the law goes.

Many thanks to all who looked into the situation and did the boot-on-the-ground recon.

stay safe.
The two immediate questions that come to mind are:

1. Did the city own the museum then, and,

2. Was 15.2-915 in effect at that time?

TFred

chammer

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The two immediate questions that come to mind are:

1. Did the city own the museum then, and,

2. Was 15.2-915 in effect at that time?

TFred

Excellent point TFred!
We get so wrapped up with the here and now, we sometimes forget Preemption is a recent statute.

MSC 45ACP

In summary... Skid's Visit (during which they were subjected to rude and incorrect behavior) happened well after Preemption.

Long story short, Newport News Screwed the Pooch, right?