• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Get ready to pay more Wisconsin!

CalicoJack10

I was in Appleton yesterday. While I was there I stopped at the man store to pick up some fishing stuff. But me being me, I had to walk over and take a look at the guns and equipment. I saw that they were re-pricing their guns, as well as putting out a new line of holsters. Most of the items that were getting re-priced or put out on the shelves were all used for concealed carry.

I noticed that they wanted more for these things than they were listed for before the price change. for example, the XDM that my fiancé wants went from $585 to $650 while I was there looking. When I asked why the price hike the guy said supply and demand. But that he would still sell it to me for the $585 price. I promptly talked to the manager and expressed that it was a bunch of BS that they would be raising prices just to make a few bucks off the CC law, and that as a firearms instructor I thought that this was preying on peoples safety.

You could see that he was offended, but understanding of what I was talking about.

I then talked to a few of the people that I know around the state and it seems that this is a trend that is picking up speed. So I would offer this information in hopes that people will take a look around and give some serious thought to where they get their firearms and equipment from so that they don't get screwed by money grubbing pricks who are trying to make a bucks off of this new law.

Namchief

This is just the beginning the price of ammo is going to go up for handguns as well. being in business for 20+ years I knew this was going to happen. Funny thing is alot of the ones raising the prices might not allow you to CC in their store. I suggest going to a smaller FFL and ask them what the gun would costyou might be surprised as these small ffl's want to keep their suppliers and need so many sales. JMHO

M

McX

it's an unfortunate truth; what Honorable Men won't do, others will.

Canard

Well that's unfortunate. I will shop that same as I always do...check online pricing and give the local shops an opportunity to match. If they won't, I buy it online. 48 other states already have cc so I doubt this is a national trend.

bigdaddy1

Its been happening for some time now. The LCP Ruger I want has been jumping in price since the Senate took up the bill. I may buy one on line at one of the on-line brokers and still be cheaper off with the FFL fee.

Namchief

I am not joking my ffl which I just started using told me before you buy online ask me as I might need a sale to keep my suppliers ( now this is a small at home FFL) got to love $20 for long gun and $20 +$13 for handgun but if bought from him I think handgun was just $13 (federal charge) So huge savings for me on certain guns

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
TGSCOM.com in Green Bay Has new Glock 26 pistols for $ 471.+change. TGSCOM the Worlds biggest online gun dealer is not screwing people, so think about doing business with them. :)

Yes, I have a buddy that works there...

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

I had this discussion with my local gun guy.... We were considering a discount of 2% on any new or used firearm purchase to any Wisconsin Carry member in conjunction with Gov. Walker signing the bill. Basicall he is a local independent and say's his "markup" on firearms is minimal at best. So based on the topic of this tread, he has agreed (proven to be a man of his word)... NOT to increase any firearm or firearm related products per the new bill. So...

If you are in the S.E. Wisconsin area and are looking to purchase a new (he can order whatever you want) or used firearm check out his prices before you buy elsewhere. Yuo could probably talk him into a "good deal" and ammo with a firearm purchase.

Mention that you read it here....

Paddock Lake Sports - 1-262-843-1625- Ask for Randy....

Hwy 50 - Just east of the city of Paddock Lake - On the north side of the highway...building kinda far back but big sign out on the highway...

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Randy except for purchasing 2 firearms from him with TOTAL satisfaction both times.. and am posting this as a favor to help a local indepndent business get a few more satisfied customers. I will receive nothing from Randy for this post except his heart felt thank you....

Outdoorsman1

Oh yea.. Randy is OC friendly....

Last edited:

MKEgal

CalicoJack10 said:
I was in Appleton yesterday. While I was there I stopped at the man store
Can you PM me the address for that? I've been looking for a good one, didn't know where they were sold... :p ;) :rolleyes:

I was at Fletcher's yesterday & several people came in to look at smaller pistols, saying they were motivated by the new law. So there are more people than I expected who are scared or put off or whatever from the free exercise of their rights, but feel OK if they can hide it. :(

apierce918

What was the store? I can only think of Gander Mt. and Scheele's that sell handguns around there, and they both tend to be overpriced already anyway.

+1, I have never seen an XDm for less then 650 in Appleton. I bought one in Michigan when i still lived there for 579. Scheels has had them at 649 for black and 699 bi-tone for as long as i can remember. I wont even look at gander. Fleet farm might be between 600-650, but your price is in line with what I have seen

Last edited:

apjonas

Now, Now

....... So I would offer this information in hopes that people will take a look around and give some serious thought to where they get their firearms and equipment from so that they don't get screwed by money grubbing pricks who are trying to make a bucks off of this new law.

Would you kiss your Aunt Tilly with that mouth? The new law doesn't mandate an increase in the price of anything. If there is a increased demand for certain items, I would expect price cuts as retailers compete for new customers. I don't believe there is a huge population who were waiting for CC to arrive before buying a handgun. I would guess that 95% of those who plan to CC already have a suitable firearm. Some may have been motivated to think more about the topic and that lead to a decision to buy a new item but I haven't seen any evidence (nor did I see evidence in other states) that those people are very numerous. Is the XDM a particularly "hot" item? Did the guy actually change the price tag while you were looking at it? That would have been worth seeing.

Preying on people's safety? Why wasn't this XDM purchased a month ago? OC was an option then. I agree that it's annoying for something like that to happen but at least it makes the item available to more people. At a lower price, perhaps they all would have been snapped up by buyers with a lot of cash. Then you wouldn't even have the option. In the end, we don't know all of the factors that set the price. We can buy, negotiate or try another seller. Isn't having that ability worth some annoyance?

littlewolf

+1, I have never seen an XDm for less then 650 in Appleton. I bought one in Michigan when i still lived there for 579. Scheels has had them at 649 for black and 699 bi-tone for as long as i can remember. I wont even look at gander. Fleet farm might be between 600-650, but your price is in line with what I have seen

I might piss off some dealers but here it go's
a XDM wholesales for $568-$654 depending on Bi-tone ,black, essentials kit, nite sights e.c.t. , shipping cost around $30 +/- for mandatory 2nd day air and adult signature required plus the $13 handgun hot-line check. I add $100 to the wholesale price. This covers my cost and puts a couple bucks in my pocket . I also knock off $25 for WCI members so that leaves me with ........

Scheels ,Gander, whoever Big Store by in quantity when the distributors are running specials example buy 5 get one free,and they buy 20 and get 5 free. I am a retired,disabled vet not a millionaire and cannot afford to sell below cost .
The ATF would pull my ffl if iIdid not show a profit.

hardballer

a XDM wholesales for $568-$654 depending on Bi-tone ,black, essentials kit, nite sights e.c.t. , shipping cost around $30 +/- for mandatory 2nd day air and adult signature required plus the $13 handgun hot-line check. I add $100 to the wholesale price. This covers my cost and puts a couple bucks in my pocket . I also knock off $25 for WCI members so that leaves me with ........

Scheels ,Gander, whoever Big Store by in quantity when the distributors are running specials example buy 5 get one free,and they buy 20 and get 5 free. I am a retired,disabled vet not a millionaire and cannot afford to sell below cost .

My policy has always been to buy from the local "guy or gal". I avoid big boxes like the plague. I want to talk with and have access to the person who sold me the gun or what ever for that matter. Often times they will bend over backwards for you and give you the shirt off their backs. I buy my holster supplies from local guys when ever possible too. Support the small businessman or you will not have him when you need him.

Edit: I should add, that you will talk to a person who is engaging and knowledgeable. Why? because they love what they do. They are not an hourly employee who has no investment what so ever in the business. You'll find a lot more characters and personality too. I can't tell you how many times I have spoken to an "employee" and remarked to my wife or thought, they needed to buy a personality. That's the difference between an hourly employee and "The owner".

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Thanks Littlewolf!

I wish I were closer to you. (I'm in Kenosha) I support the "Little Guy" as much as I can and dislike the big chain stores. My last bunch of firearms all came from local mom and pop shops and Shooters (Cop and Pop?). Not saying I've never bought from Cabelas or Scheels but I prefer to spend my money with an individual who owns the store. If I am ever up your way I will drop by and drool and maybe even pick up a nice shotgun or rifle. Thanks and Thanks for your service!

hardballer

I wish I were closer to you. (I'm in Kenosha) I support the "Little Guy" as much as I can and dislike the big chain stores. My last bunch of firearms all came from local mom and pop shops and Shooters (Cop and Pop?). Not saying I've never bought from Cabelas or Scheels but I prefer to spend my money with an individual who owns the store. If I am ever up your way I will drop by and drool and maybe even pick up a nice shotgun or rifle. Thanks and Thanks for your service!

Ditto.

Outdoorsman1

My policy has always been to buy from the local "guy or gal". I avoid big boxes like the plague. I want to talk with and have access to the person who sold me the gun or what ever for that matter. Often times they will bend over backwards for you and give you the shirt off their backs. I buy my holster supplies from local guys when ever possible too. Support the small businessman or you will not have him when you need him.

Edit: I should add, that you will talk to a person who is engaging and knowledgeable. Why? because they love what they do. They are not an hourly employee who has no investment what so ever in the business. You'll find a lot more characters and personality too. I can't tell you how many times I have spoken to an "employee" and remarked to my wife or thought, they needed to buy a personality. That's the difference between an hourly employee and "The owner".

Outdoorsman1