Thread: dayton, ohio robbery foiled..robber shot

dayton, ohio robbery foiled..robber shot

From what I saw the guy drove off after shooting the alleged attacker. What's up with that?

I wondered that too... but I think wiht the second attacker and not knowing his whereabouts.. he would have been justified in leaving and calling 911 and proobably going directly to the cop shop....

Anyone else have comments on that facet of the video?

I agree with the decision to drive away. When the first guy attacked him, a second guy came running up and assaulted him too. Who knows if they have more friends skulking around? Plus he only shot one of them, the other was still fully capable of continuing the assault.

Best choice is to leave and call the police from a secure location or go directly to the nearest police station to report everything. You never know if criminals like that have friends nearby or hidden on scene and they could be armed too.

If I knew the area, and knew where the closest police station was I would have drove strait their, once their I would have put my firearm in my trunk along with my keys. Filled a complaint and called my lawyer.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Good job in defending himself, and great job leaving to avoid a potential escalation and him possibly being forced to again defend himself against the second attacker.

For those who have never been in such a situation it is all too common for a second assailant to try and mead out justice on you after you are forced to fire on his buddy. This happens more times than not. if you are forced to bring down an assailant and stay on scene you are many more times likely to become the victim of retaliatory attacks by other accomplices, friends, family, or some racial component resulting in a much more violent second attack on you. This is not a John Wayne movie the bad guys rarely just quit when one is downed. usually rage then enters the situation after they find out their manhood has been challenged and one of them is fallen, then the escalation can be quick and brutal to deadly. The victim did the right thing he left to allow the situation to cool down and not escalate. Part of me wonders if the victim may have had some kind of Law Enforcement exposure, as his actions were well thought out after the shots were fired. Judging from the actions and body language of the assailants I would bet money that the unhurt attacker would have escalated the situation to a deadly encounter as evidenced by his willingness to aid his attacking buddy in that first barrage of the victim.

Never take chances, once you are forced in the streets to use that weapon retreat to a safe position because it is near impossible to watch every possible angle for a retaliatory attack. Seasoned veterans (officers) of the street know this, and react in kind until backup is on scene. Those who don't eventually become victims.

If family of the attackers are on scene it can become deadly in a split second and all the more reason to clear out to a safe zone, even if this means to drive to the Police station.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    Last edited by Bailenforcer; 06-24-2011 at 03:41 PM.
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    From what I saw the guy drove off after shooting the alleged attacker. What's up with that?
    Survival instinct?

In the military, you get the hell out of the ambush zone if it's not 100% under control.

If you want to hang around the scene of the assault on you before you're sure it's 100% safe to do so, then you go right ahead. I would advise against it. Drive, run, or walk away to the nearest safe area (a police station if you can get to it) and report the incident.

You don't sound like you've ever been in the military, been the victim of a violent crime, or have done much reading or reflection on the lessons to be learned from stories of victims. That's ok, because you may be young or just generally haven't had benefit of needed exposure to these things. I hope the replies to your comment have helped open your eyes.
    Last edited by DanM; 06-24-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

I took it that way as well, time to get to a more secure location. From the people gathering around, I would not have been surprised if they might have thought at first the guy pulling out(the good guy) was the bad guy and had he stayed around them at the gas station one or more of them might have become brave and tried to disarm him.

No doubt he acted correctly and left to I am sure call 911 from across the street or just down the road

Showed it to my Anti-gun wife, her only comment was how do they know what was said at the pump, told her the police got the info from the interview later on.
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

The second attacker is very lucky he did not get shot also. It appeared to me the victim would have or could shot the second one also.

The second attacker is very lucky he did not get shot also. It appeared to me the victim would have or could shot the second one also.

Exclamation Shoot & scoot!

I agree with the others. Best to get out of the danger zone if possible. This bad guy took two .45 rounds to the gut & lived! Cops credit his survival to the sheer amount of drugs in his system, which kept him from going into shock Good thing for the bad guy the shooter didn't follow what many others go buy here & that is "bend & blend" 1st shot center mass or to abdominal area followed by a second shot to the head.

Hopefully the bad guy learns from this and becomes a better human being, something tells me he'll just pick easier targets - elderly, women, kids etc...

Now for the million dollars question: would this dirt bag have tried robbing the victim if the victim was OPENLY CARRYING his .45 cal?

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    I agree with the others. Best to get out of the danger zone if possible. This bad guy took two .45 rounds to the gut & lived! Cops credit his survival to the sheer amount of drugs in his system, which kept him from going into shock Good thing for the bad guy the shooter didn't follow what many others go buy here & that is "bend & blend" 1st shot center mass or to abdominal area followed by a second shot to the head.

Hopefully the bad guy learns from this and becomes a better human being, something tells me he'll just pick easier targets - elderly, women, kids etc...

Now for the million dollars question: would this dirt bag have tried robbing the victim if the victim was OPENLY CARRYING his .45 cal?
    DOUBT IT! If i understand the report the victim to me looked as if he has going to the car to GET his gun, IF HE HAD it on him, it might have saved him a whack or two!
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm

If this idiot was as drugged up as they say he was, he might have went for the gun, then things could have gotten really ugly, imagine him all drugged up with a gun? Frankly where the victim/defender went wrong was allowing someone he doesn't know to get that close to him. Never will I allow someone that close to me whether I am CC or OC. The idiots actions and body language spelled stupid or dangerous long before the assault.

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post

Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailenforcer View Post
    If this idiot was as drugged up as they say he was, he might have went for the gun, then things could have gotten really ugly, imagine him all drugged up with a gun? Frankly where the victim/defender went wrong was allowing someone he doesn't know to get that close to him. Never will I allow someone that close to me whether I am CC or OC. The idiots actions and body language spelled stupid or dangerous long before the assault.
    too close and in a too confined space~!
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm

Good thing this guy had his ccw, otherwise he'd either be injured or dead.

? question nobody asked, including myself WHY ?
    was his gun in his car and not on him ?

2 second question where was the firearm located or secured, or was it secured....

This is why i am always on guard, when at the gas station, or anywhere that i am in a cornered area...

[QUOTE=mastiff69;1560860]? question nobody asked, including myself WHY ?
    was his gun in his car and not on him ?

That i guess a question on the Victim can answer
    Last edited by Onnie; 06-25-2011 at 10:31 AM.
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm

All the more reason to have backed the idiot off or put space between me and him. I never allow people I don't know to crowd me like that guy allowed. But what I leaned from the streets taught me to avoid that situation.

As far as people asking why his gun was in the car, it's called complacency, a deadly disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Onnie View Post
    too close and in a too confined space~!