Thread: Newport News Youth Citizen Police Academy

Newport News Youth Citizen Police Academy

Check this out!

The last image of the video appeared in today's (6/24/2011) print edition of the Daily Press. A Good Guy with a Gun It sure beats the more common image taken by a security camers of some thug brandishing a weapon in a convenience store!

http://www.dailypress.com/news/crime...,2260492.story
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Gee, I wonder, when these teens graduate from the program, do they get brown shirts and a spiffy sheath knife with "Blut und Ehre!" engraved on the blade, too?...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Gee, I wonder, when these teens graduate from the program, do they get brown shirts and a spiffy sheath knife with "Blut und Ehre!" engraved on the blade, too?...
    Ahhh, Dreamer.....always the optimist.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

"The greatest tyrannies are always perpetrated in the name of the noblest causes." -- Thomas Paine
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

These kids aren't being set up to become "Blut und Ehre" types. The training includes guns because cops use guns. I was pleased that such a program honestly dealt with this issue. I am sure virtually all the boys and some of the girls were very eager to see some of the firearms the police actually use. This suggests that, here at least, the anti-gun propaganda from the schools hasn't been effective. The fact that such a story and that picture were published in the Daily Press shows how far that paper has come. 10-15 years ago?? Not a chance. There would have been a little 1 column inch blurb about the program with no mention of guns.

Over the recent years the Boy Scout leaders of local troops have brought the boys to the range, taught them firearm safety and showed them how to shoot. Those of us on the range were happy to show them our rifles and pistols, and I allowed them, under VERY close supervision, to fire some of mine. You could see the eagerness in their eyes, and the obvious satisfaction when they did shoot. Some of them were quite good shots for beginners.
    Today's kids, if given a chance certainly do enjoy shooting sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    These kids aren't being set up to become "Blut und Ehre" types. The training includes guns because cops use guns. I was pleased that such a program honestly dealt with this issue. I am sure virtually all the boys and some of the girls were very eager to see some of the firearms the police actually use. This suggests that, here at least, the anti-gun propaganda from the schools hasn't been effective. The fact that such a story and that picture were published in the Daily Press shows how far that paper has come. 10-15 years ago?? Not a chance. There would have been a little 1 column inch blurb about the program with no mention of guns.

Over the recent years the Boy Scout leaders of local troops have brought the boys to the range, taught them firearm safety and showed them how to shoot. Those of us on the range were happy to show them our rifles and pistols, and I allowed them, under VERY close supervision, to fire some of mine. You could see the eagerness in their eyes, and the obvious satisfaction when they did shoot. Some of them were quite good shots for beginners.
    Today's kids, if given a chance certainly do enjoy shooting sports.
    +1, Dutch!!
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

I would love to go through a program or tour like this, but sadly I'm much too old now. Where was this stuff when I was in school? I'd still like to know if I could be a LEO, but I'm probably too old to switch careers now. I understand the military has a cut off age, but not sure about the police.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    "The greatest tyrannies are always perpetrated in the name of the noblest causes." -- Thomas Paine
    "Not every noble cause has an undercurrent of tyranny associated with it" -- Me
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

"Not every noble cause has an undercurrent of tyranny associated with it" -- Me

Maybe not but if it involves the Gooberment there is a 99.9% chance it is.

and...PS you seem to be moving closer and closer to the Libs....are you drinking to much cool aid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    These kids aren't being set up to become "Blut und Ehre" types. The training includes guns because cops use guns.

I wonder how much time was spent in this "training" on instilling respect for and adherence to the Constitution?

'nuff sed...
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

York County Sheriff's Citizen Academy

York County puts one on a couple times a year for adults. Several members of this forum have attended. My Spousal Unit just finished the class a few weeks ago. You get a day at the range and a Ride Along. Very professionally done.

http://www.yorkcounty.gov/Sheriff/Ci...0/default.aspx

Don't knock it till you try it...
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Quote Originally Posted by chammer View Post
    I would love to go through a program or tour like this, but sadly I'm much too old now. Where was this stuff when I was in school? I'd still like to know if I could be a LEO, but I'm probably too old to switch careers now. I understand the military has a cut off age, but not sure about the police.
    Newport News has CPAs for Adults and Seniors as well as the Youth program.

Check out this link:

http://www.nngov.com/police/chiefoff...munityprograms

Member VCDL, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    Newport News has CPAs for Adults and Seniors as well as the Youth program.

Check out this link:

http://www.nngov.com/police/chiefoff...munityprograms
    Ha! That's awesome. Thanks! Will have to see about getting into it then.

MSC 45ACP: That one sounds awesome also, especially the dedicated Saturday range sessions. However, it states it's for York County/Poquoson residents or those who work in York County/Poquoson only unfortunately.
    Last edited by chammer; 06-25-2011 at 03:05 AM.