Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spokane Hoopfest and Open Carry

Spokane Hoopfest and Open Carry

I feel the police are wrong to do this. Here is an article about the increased police presence at this years Hoopfest, because of the (gang) related shooting last year. It could be dangerous waters for OC at this event. Even if we are legal or not, I bet they (the police) will draw down on an OC'er.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...keep-hoopfest/

I feel the police are wrong to do this.
    Wrong to do what?

I think the extra police presence will be good at hoopfest.

Spokane does not have a long history of harassing OC, why do you think they would start now. Those gang members that caused the problem last year were not OC in any sense.

This does not mean you may not be questioned, but draw down on an OC pistol that is in a holster, I don't think so. Spokane, speak up, I only vist your city when I have to even though I live on the dry side.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    So, you think it is wrong for police to send extra patrols to areas/events that have a troubled past in regards to criminal acivities?

Let's look at it this way.... let's say in the last week, two cars per night in your neighborhood have had windows broken out. One of those cars is yours. The police tell you that they will send extra patrols through the neighbor at night. Would you then say the police would be wrong to do that?

Do you like it when people assume that you are up to no good because of the presence of your gun? Why are you so willing to assume that the police are up to no good simply due to their increased presence at an event/location that has had an increased criminal activity in the past?

Looks to me like they are going to be looking specifically for drunk drivers and pets:
    Isn't this event outside? Why the hell would pets be outlawed? It's public, can they even do that? That's what a leash is for for crying out loud.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    Isn't this event outside? Why the hell would pets be outlawed? It's public, can they even do that? That's what a leash is for for crying out loud.
    I looked, I can't find an RCW for Pet Preemption...
    I agree. Leave your animals at home, this is not an event for animals. Leash or no leash this is an event about basketball.
    Live Free or Die!

http://www.certifyyourservicedog.com/

no longer a pet, its a service animal

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    I agree. Leave your animals at home, this is not an event for animals. Leash or no leash this is an event about basketball.
    There are dogs, and then there are DOGS:

The problem is that people don't know which one to leave home.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

No longer a pet. Now he's a playa!
    Now this dog is really a player. Plays better than some of the pro's I seen over the years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGiMl4-pNBQ
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

City ordinance about bringing pets to large outdoor events. As usual, because some nimrods refuse to comply with leash laws, they pass a law banning all pets. Gee, doesn't that sound familiar? Of course, they did it for the children.

http://www.spokanecity.org/services/...tion=10.03.110
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

Quote Originally Posted by M1Gunr View Post
    http://www.certifyyourservicedog.com/

no longer a pet, its a service animal
    Man I wonder how many people actually fall for that (lots, I'm guessing). There IS no "official" service animal registration. All the person has to do is say it's a service animal and they're pretty much untouchable.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    Man I wonder how many people actually fall for that (lots, I'm guessing). There IS no "official" service animal registration. All the person has to do is say it's a service animal and they're pretty much untouchable.
    Not entirely true. The animal must be in your complete control at all times. And the animal must have been trained how to take care of a specific need. I ask people with pets in my retail establishment all the time, what is the animal trained to take care of... when they can't answer, I ask them to take the animal outside. (I can not ask what their disability is.)
    Live Free or Die!

Not entirely true. The animal must be in your complete control at all times. And the animal must have been trained how to take care of a specific need. I ask people with pets in my retail establishment all the time, what is the animal trained to take care of... when they can't answer, I ask them to take the animal outside. (I can not ask what their disability is.)
    Yes, you are correct on the first part, the animal must be in control (which doesn't help my co-workers who have been bitten ). But there's this recent concept of the "companion animal" where it doesn't matter what the animal is or whether it's been trained, it's mere presence is (supposedly) medically and/or psychologically necessary to this individual.

Must be nice to actually have the "authority" to ask people to leave, soon as someone mentions "service animal," I can't say a durn thing unless the critter is actively chewing on someone's arm.

Yes, you are correct on the first part, the animal must be in control (which doesn't help my co-workers who have been bitten ). But there's this recent concept of the "companion animal" where it doesn't matter what the animal is or whether it's been trained, it's mere presence is (supposedly) medically and/or psychologically necessary to this individual.

Must be nice to actually have the "authority" to ask people to leave, soon as someone mentions "service animal," I can't say a durn thing unless the critter is actively chewing on someone's arm.
    "companion", "therapy", etc are not service animals and they are not covered by the law.

What you get is a lot of people who "think" they know the law and make false claims as to their pet. So I spent some time to read and understand the law. I don't hesitate to call BS when it is appropriate to do so.

http://www.hum.wa.gov/FAQ/FAQServiceAnimal.html
    Last edited by gogodawgs; 06-25-2011 at 02:42 PM.
    Live Free or Die!

The last session of the State Legislature clarified what consists of a "service animal"

Read here:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...writethru.html

No more ferrets, parrots, monkeys, full-size horses, or snakes as "Service Animals".

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    No more ferrets, parrots, monkeys, full-size horses, or snakes as "Service Animals".
    But my parrot tells me where to walk!!! Glad I can still use my donkey though...

Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    But my parrot tells me where to walk!!! Glad I can still use my donkey though...
    I don't care HOW disabled you are, you try bringing a donkey on my bus and I'm gonna... I'm gonna... I'm gonna tell on you!

actually... couldn't smell worse than the usual clientele...

I completely agree with SPD, the Sheriff and WSP increasing their numbers downtown for Hoopfest after last year's incidents, including the shooting. The number of affiliated gang members at that event has gone up in recent years as has the problems associated with them. The shooting was the tensions finally rising to public view.

I also concur with the dog ordinance. Last thing I want to worry about is Fluffy the Wonder Mutt getting away from its owner or the homeboys and the poorly trained pit bulls coming out to play.

Hoopfest is a really cool thing but in recent years the gang activity has gone up as the numbers of participants has gone up.

If I am able to make it down to watch, I am going to carry concealed. Too many people in close proximity to me to feel comfortable OCing.

I don't care HOW disabled you are, you try bringing a donkey on my bus and I'm gonna... I'm gonna... I'm gonna tell on you!

I'd make sure that the donkey owner had a mop and shovel with them before I'd let it on my bus.

My wife suggested that you kick his @$$... She kills me.
    Freedom can never be lost, only given away by ignorance, by choice, or at the point of a gun. Here in America we can still choose.

Freedom First 1775

"I aim to misbehave..." Malcolm Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom First View Post
    My wife suggested that you kick his @$$... She kills me.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

"companion", "therapy", etc are not service animals and they are not covered by the law.

What you get is a lot of people who "think" they know the law and make false claims as to their pet. So I spent some time to read and understand the law. I don't hesitate to call BS when it is appropriate to do so.

http://www.hum.wa.gov/FAQ/FAQServiceAnimal.html
    So, what would you accept as an answer?

Q. What is a service animal?

“Service animal” means an animal that is trained for the purpose of assisting or accommodating a disabled person’s sensory, mental, or physical disability.

How about, " Lexi is trained to assist my mental disability." You can't ask what the disability is, so must you then accept the dog, or risk a law suit?
    Last edited by Ajetpilot; 06-26-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajetpilot View Post
    So, what would you accept as an answer?

How about, " Lexi is trained to assist my mental disability." You can't ask what the disability is, so must you then accept the dog, or risk a law suit?
    The problem with the whole ADA, re: service animals... is that there IS no official certification process. Places can ask the person for ID for disabled benefits, but there's no way to "card" the the critter. This becomes a problem when both disabled people and others learn this and use it to abuse the system.

The problem with the whole ADA, re: service animals... is that there IS no official certification process. Places can ask the person for ID for disabled benefits, but there's no way to "card" the the critter. This becomes a problem when both disabled people and others learn this and use it to abuse the system.
    No I can not ask about the persons disability.

And ajetpilot, answering your question is tough. There is far more to the answer than what you can answer here. The behavior of the customer, the behavior of the pet, the body language of the person, etc... Therefore, I am unable to answer your hypothetical question, but be assured I have rarely needed to ask and when I have I have been correct. Most of the time the pet is not under the persons complete control.
    Live Free or Die!

No I can not ask about the persons disability.
    No, you cannot ask ABOUT their disability, but if you offer some kind of reduced pricing for the disabled, you can ask for verification that they are. Same as "carding" for seniors.

Zazzle has everything you need to make your pet look like a service animal. I wonder if there is a law against impersonating a service animal. Hmmm...

http://tinyurl.com/64mplsn

Ans: Yup. RCW 70.84 http://tinyurl.com/684n2tp
    Last edited by Ajetpilot; 06-27-2011 at 12:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast