• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spokane Hoopfest and Open Carry

Status
Not open for further replies.

hermannr

I think the extra police presence will be good at hoopfest.

Spokane does not have a long history of harassing OC, why do you think they would start now. Those gang members that caused the problem last year were not OC in any sense.

This does not mean you may not be questioned, but draw down on an OC pistol that is in a holster, I don't think so. Spokane, speak up, I only vist your city when I have to even though I live on the dry side.

tombrewster421

So, you think it is wrong for police to send extra patrols to areas/events that have a troubled past in regards to criminal acivities?

Let's look at it this way.... let's say in the last week, two cars per night in your neighborhood have had windows broken out. One of those cars is yours. The police tell you that they will send extra patrols through the neighbor at night. Would you then say the police would be wrong to do that?

Do you like it when people assume that you are up to no good because of the presence of your gun? Why are you so willing to assume that the police are up to no good simply due to their increased presence at an event/location that has had an increased criminal activity in the past?

Looks to me like they are going to be looking specifically for drunk drivers and pets:

Isn't this event outside? Why the hell would pets be outlawed? It's public, can they even do that? That's what a leash is for for crying out loud.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Isn't this event outside? Why the hell would pets be outlawed? It's public, can they even do that? That's what a leash is for for crying out loud.

I looked, I can't find an RCW for Pet Preemption... :lol:

I agree. Leave your animals at home, this is not an event for animals. Leash or no leash this is an event about basketball.

amlevin

I agree. Leave your animals at home, this is not an event for animals. Leash or no leash this is an event about basketball.

There are dogs, and then there are DOGS:

big-dog-little-dog.jpg

The problem is that people don't know which one to leave home.

Lammo

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Man I wonder how many people actually fall for that (lots, I'm guessing). There IS no "official" service animal registration. All the person has to do is say it's a service animal and they're pretty much untouchable.

Not entirely true. The animal must be in your complete control at all times. And the animal must have been trained how to take care of a specific need. I ask people with pets in my retail establishment all the time, what is the animal trained to take care of... when they can't answer, I ask them to take the animal outside. (I can not ask what their disability is.)

Metalhead47

Not entirely true. The animal must be in your complete control at all times. And the animal must have been trained how to take care of a specific need. I ask people with pets in my retail establishment all the time, what is the animal trained to take care of... when they can't answer, I ask them to take the animal outside. (I can not ask what their disability is.)

Yes, you are correct on the first part, the animal must be in control (which doesn't help my co-workers who have been bitten :rolleyes:). But there's this recent concept of the "companion animal" where it doesn't matter what the animal is or whether it's been trained, it's mere presence is (supposedly) medically and/or psychologically necessary to this individual.

Must be nice to actually have the "authority" to ask people to leave, soon as someone mentions "service animal," I can't say a durn thing unless the critter is actively chewing on someone's arm. :uhoh:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Yes, you are correct on the first part, the animal must be in control (which doesn't help my co-workers who have been bitten :rolleyes:). But there's this recent concept of the "companion animal" where it doesn't matter what the animal is or whether it's been trained, it's mere presence is (supposedly) medically and/or psychologically necessary to this individual.

Must be nice to actually have the "authority" to ask people to leave, soon as someone mentions "service animal," I can't say a durn thing unless the critter is actively chewing on someone's arm. :uhoh:

"companion", "therapy", etc are not service animals and they are not covered by the law.

What you get is a lot of people who "think" they know the law and make false claims as to their pet. So I spent some time to read and understand the law. I don't hesitate to call BS when it is appropriate to do so.

http://www.hum.wa.gov/FAQ/FAQServiceAnimal.html

Last edited:

Vandal

I completely agree with SPD, the Sheriff and WSP increasing their numbers downtown for Hoopfest after last year's incidents, including the shooting. The number of affiliated gang members at that event has gone up in recent years as has the problems associated with them. The shooting was the tensions finally rising to public view.

I also concur with the dog ordinance. Last thing I want to worry about is Fluffy the Wonder Mutt getting away from its owner or the homeboys and the poorly trained pit bulls coming out to play.

Hoopfest is a really cool thing but in recent years the gang activity has gone up as the numbers of participants has gone up.

If I am able to make it down to watch, I am going to carry concealed. Too many people in close proximity to me to feel comfortable OCing.

Status
Not open for further replies.