• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC runs off troublemakers?

peterarthur

I was driving home last night when I made a left turn from Blue Ridge to 87th st heading west when I noticed an old red Sentra just stopped in the left lane next to the left turn lane that I was using. There were 3 rowdy kids booming music and yelling at me. After a few seconds, the light changed and I turned onto 87th heading west and the redcar decided to make a left turn illegally from the left lane and started to tailgate me. I switched to the right lane, thinking they were in a hurry and too stupid to go around. They changed behind me. So I switched to the left lane again since I was headed to the gas station and they switched again too. Now I knew for sure they were messing with me. Didn't really bother me, it happens now and then, kids act stupid.

I pulled into QuikTrip up to pump 8 and the kids pulled into pump 7 on the other side of the island. They started yelling again and one guy climbed out the front passenger window and sat in the window staring at me, but I just got out locked the door and headed inside to pay. Of course, as always, I had my Glock on my hip.

Funny thing. The stereo turned down and they tore out of the gas station without another word. I didn't even really look at them or say anything. In fact, I carried a pleasant demeanor the whole time. If I was CCing, who knows if they would have escalated? I would have been forced to "brandish" to have the same effect that open carry did.

I have my own personal proof that OC is the way to go. It is no longer up for discussion for me. I am convinced.

Do whatever you want, I will OC.

REALteach4u

I cannot/will not disagree that some folks are clearly deterred by the sight of a firearm AND that OC should be exercised as a personal choice, but I always stress having options at your disposal is wise no matter your carry format.

I'm also not going to say that OC directly attributed to any kind of de-escalation as there's no way to prove that in this instance (sure sounds good in the story though). You said it yourself, kids to stupid things. By the way, if a CC'er had "brandished" in the manner to which you're leading folks they would have had it unholstered which ISN'T always true. CC'ers could simply uncover and be no different than if they were OC'ing. Interesting how that managed to get left out.

The CC vs. OC argument cannot be won by either side. We can converse on the matter until we're all blue in the face and make absolutely no head-way. We're here for the same purpose: 2A.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

I tend to agree with your assessment and it gives me an idea.

What about 'targeted' OC? If you have an OC holster, or even a paddle holster, there might be times when one would switch to OC, say getting out of the car in a sitch like this and you can, without fear of 'brandishing' accusations, defuse a threat.

Then, if you're going into a mall or a place you're not sure about, return to CC.

It might be a way to gradually break into an OC style.

Stupid? IDK. I'm searching for the right method, I suppose.

3fgburner

I tend to agree with your assessment and it gives me an idea.

What about 'targeted' OC? If you have an OC holster, or even a paddle holster, there might be times when one would switch to OC, say getting out of the car in a sitch like this and you can, without fear of 'brandishing' accusations, defuse a threat.

Then, if you're going into a mall or a place you're not sure about, return to CC...

Up until last July 1st, this was a semi-mandatory thing in Virginia. Restaurants that served alcohol were OC-only. This resulted in a technique called the "Virginia Tuck".

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
I always get into heated chats with CC instructors and shop owners I work for about OC, I stand my ground that its not for everyone, some are CC and some are CC and most are NONE,
I give them my stories like yours and and they give me the element of surprise lines, theres no winning, but I have proved to myself its right for me, as you have to yourself, and that all that matters

Im happy I educate people everyday on OC and gun rights

Richieg150

Lets me see if I understand what happened: You were hassled, followed, tailgated, then followed into a QT. They pulled into a pump by you and continued to yell and mean mug you, you calmly got out of your car to do your business, Open Carrying your firearm, after you got out of your vehicle, the hassleing,yelling,mean mugging stopped and they pulled away. Now I read in a previous post that there is no proof that them seeing your weapon, changed their attitudes,.....REALLY..... thats classic CCW brainwashing...... they DID see your weapon, and it DID defuse the situation. Its alway comical to me how the CCW crowd always fall back on THE ELEMENT OF SUPRISE , but never are able to back it up, where thugs seeing a weapon WILL defuse a situation and keep a person from having to use their weapon in THE ELEMENT OF SURPRISE........but thats my opinion for what its worth.

peterarthur

Lets me see if I understand what happened: You were hassled, followed, tailgated, then followed into a QT. They pulled into a pump by you and continued to yell and mean mug you, you calmly got out of your car to do your business, Open Carrying your firearm, after you got out of your vehicle, the hassleing,yelling,mean mugging stopped and they pulled away. Now I read in a previous post that there is no proof that them seeing your weapon, changed their attitudes,.....REALLY..... thats classic CCW brainwashing...... they DID see your weapon, and it DID defuse the situation. Its alway comical to me how the CCW crowd always fall back on THE ELEMENT OF SUPRISE , but never are able to back it up, where thugs seeing a weapon WILL defuse a situation and keep a person from having to use their weapon in THE ELEMENT OF SURPRISE........but thats my opinion for what its worth.

Well, Richie, it seemed pretty obvious to me that OC was the direct catalyst to the end of my harassment. I am NOT saying, FYI, that there is anything wrong with CC. Many people have a good reason and it's nice to be able to CC when OC is not an option. But I will OC at EVERY opportunity now that I know what kind of effect it might have. If anyone has ever heard of a story where escalation occurred BECAUSE of OC, I will reconsider my position. Remember, I said that "I" will always OC, not that "YOU" should OC. Do what you want, "I" will OC.

Everyone be safe, regardless of how you carry :)

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
It is a shining example with what is wrong with OC.

It took a volatile situation and turned it into a non-event. If it had escalated into a 3 or 4 on one CCW defends himself story the press and internet would be buzzing like hornets shaken violently.

I like non-events better, but the lack of documentation is the reality we face from the CCW only and anti's, we have to figure a path around that.

There was a recent story about a car full of thugs that were going to rob but two OC'ers inside deterred them, it went public because the cops got em laying in wait for the OC'ers to leave and they admitted that is what they were doing.

The element of surprise is no significant advantage, first off OC has a general viewing angle of some what less than 180 degrees so that means that ultimately you have a slightly better than 50% change the BG will not discover your weapon and the element of surprise remains YOURS, couple that with the deterrent factor with all but the most dedicated of criminals, well you got yourself a winner with OC every time, we just lack documentation to PROVE these common sense factoids.

Richieg150

I am not saying there is anything wrong with CCWing, I do have a CCW permit. What I tried to imply is it seems those who CCW and are against Open Carry, tend to say things like, you will get your gun taken from you, you will be the first one shot, you loose the element of surprise, it deturs no one,ect.... I Open Carry most of the time, because I think it is a deturrent for those bent on crime, that happen to see a weapon, that could be used on them. I applaud all who carry a weapon for self defence, but kind get alittle tired of attitudes of those who carry differently, and think their way is the only correct way... Peter I am glad it turned out the way it did....

LibertyDeath

I am not saying there is anything wrong with CCWing, I do have a CCW permit. What I tried to imply is it seems those who CCW and are against Open Carry, tend to say things like, you will get your gun taken from you, you will be the first one shot, you loose the element of surprise, it deturs no one,ect.... I Open Carry most of the time, because I think it is a deturrent for those bent on crime, that happen to see a weapon, that could be used on them. I applaud all who carry a weapon for self defence, but kind get alittle tired of attitudes of those who carry differently, and think their way is the only correct way... Peter I am glad it turned out the way it did....

I CC about 95% of the time. Then again am barely concealed. It confuses me when people who CC are anti OC.
Each one has advantages and disadvantages. There is no right way to carry.