• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

shocking admission from MPD on FOX news

MKEgal

In this story, posted 23JUN, it says in part:

"In 2007, the most serious calls to MPD meant a response time of more than 12 minutes.
In 2010, that number was up to more than 13 minutes..."

But they say that the rate of violent crime is down*, and citizen contacts are up 4x in the same 07-10 period.
[*I checked; it is, but we're still by FAR the most dangerous city in WI. 2009 rate of violent crime: Milwaukee 1088.9; Racine 544.8; Beloit 472.4; Green Bay 469.1. No other city was over 400. www.ucrdatatool.gov]

This floored me, though:
"Another reason for police not only focusing on response time to crime is the lag in reporting incidents.
MPD believes on average the victim or witness waits between 20-40 minutes before ever getting police involved."

They 'believe' people wait? What's their proof?

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
When seconds count between life and death the police are only minutes away-Philip Van Cleave

The above statement couldn't be more accurate. I am sure that there are numerous police departments around the country that have similar response times or worse....

DangerClose

But they say that the rate of violent crime is down, and citizen contacts are up 4x in the same 07-10 period.
No doubt citizen contacts are up since every time they encounter a citizen they go out of their way to falsely arrest them for disorderly conduct.

I was going to balance that comment with a comment to praise police for something else, but then I decided against it since Flynn and "supposedly" so many other officers pushed for a CCW database.

protias

Police don't even write some calls down. I know at Marquette University that is true. They didn't even want to hear some of the crimes that happened. Why? Because it will make their numbers look better. Less reported crime = "safer" city... :cuss:

oak1971

Crime is down because they fail to report it and make an arrest. A common trick to make it look like your police Chief is doing a good job.

32HR MAG

From "A Jeff Cooper Retrospective", "It has been pointed out to us that the proper number to consider in the event of violent aggression is "911"-if you are of the rabbit people . Others will do better to place their faith in the number "1911"...........

jpm84092

From "A Jeff Cooper Retrospective", "It has been pointed out to us that the proper number to consider in the event of violent aggression is "911"-if you are of the rabbit people . Others will do better to place their faith in the number "1911"...........

Thou Speaketh The Truth

1FASTC4

In this story, posted 23JUN, it says in part:

I checked; it is, but we're still by FAR the most dangerous city in WI. 2009 rate of violent crime

Huh.. I wonder why that is.

--Moderator Statement--

The innuendo/implication is patently offensive and is a serious violation of OCDO rules and our standards.

"Any posts attacking others based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity, or anything other than opposition to gun rights is NOT WELCOME HERE! We reserve the right to impose immediate bans for such behavior."

See.Forum Rules

MKEgal

1FASTC4 said:
Hey, speaking of Milwaukee, doesn't it have the highest concentration of blacks in Wisconsin?
According to http://factfinder.census.gov yes.
The % of people identifying themselves as black/AA only are:
Milwaukee county 25.2%, [#1 dangerous Milwaukee: 1088.9]
Racine county 10.3%, [#2 dangerous Racine: 544.8]
Kenosha county 5.9%,
Rock county 4.5%, [#3 dangerous Beloit: 472.4]
Dane county 4.3%,
Adams county 3.5%,
Dodge county 2.9%,
Brown county 1.7%. [#4 dangerous Green Bay: 469.1]

I think you can see from the holes that correlation does not equal causation.
(Though I admit, seeing the % & the rate both cut in half between Milwaukee & Racine does make one wonder.)

IOW, since there are several places with higher % of blacks/AA than Brown county, yet Green Bay is still the 4th most violent city in WI, it's not reasonable to say that there's a link. (Kenosha % is several times higher, yet KPD reported a rate of 276.5 in 2009.)

Especially look at Rock & Dane county having practically the same %, but Dane having a lower rate of violent crime. (363.8 in 2009)

Of course, trying to argue someone out of being racist using facts is about like trying to argue someone out of being anti-gun using facts. :(

Last edited:

GlockRDH

one thing to consider when comparing overall populations...education level...i venture a guess that the educaion level of minorities in Dane county is much higher than those Rock county...given the amount of larger employers/state gubment present in Madison...and not so in Rock county...

oak1971

Police don't even write some calls down. I know at Marquette University that is true. They didn't even want to hear some of the crimes that happened. Why? Because it will make their numbers look better. Less reported crime = "safer" city... :cuss:

I agree 100%. . Our Assistant Chief of Police was an instructor in the Criminal Justice program I graduated from. He admitted that the numbers are manipulated by many cities that way. Another way is to classify them differently so that they don't show up in the violent crime stats.

1FASTC4

According to http://factfinder.census.gov yes.

Of course, trying to argue someone out of being racist using facts is about like trying to argue someone out of being anti-gun using facts. :(

You can tell I'm being racist? Wow... amazing. I consider myself more of a pragmatist.

Since you like facts, here's one: Blacks make up 13% of the US population but 40% of the prison population. I'm not sure what their economic situation has to do with it as there are many more white people living in poverty than black. People afraid to have frank discussions will quickly label me a racist, like you and the moderator(implied). I don't have anything against the race as whole and I'm not interjecting emotion, like you by quickly crying "racist", but the statistics do not lie.
The simple unavoidable fact is that, nationally speaking, blacks commit violent crimes at a much higher pace than whites. It's convenient for people like to you label me as a racist, but it won't change the facts.

The question to ask is "why do black commit violent crime at a higher rate?" It's how one answers this question that would truly reveal if one is a racist or not. Of course, it's easier for frightened people to scream "racist!" than to actually have a discussion about causation or even face the reality of the situation

Last edited:

DangerClose

The question to ask is "why do black commit violent crime at a higher rate?"

Or the question might be, "Why aren't black people as good at getting away with violent crimes as white people are?" :lol:

I have a smiley there, but something along those lines could be argued in some form or other. Such as arguing police are more lenient on white people or push harder to go after black people or black people get worse attorneys or whatever.

All I know for sure is that Milwaukee is an embarrassment to the rest of Wisconsin. They should just change the name to "North Chicago" already.

phred

The average response time to a 911 call is 23 minutes.
The average response time of a 1911 is 875fps.

That is all you need to know.

I've seen this several times before in other places. Nonsense, speed (fps) and time (seconds, minutes,...) are different quantities and cannot be compared to each other.

How about
The average response time to a 911 call is 23 minutes.
The average response time of me (1.50 secs) and a 230 gr from a 1911 traveling at 875 fps for 15 ft (.02 sec) is 1.52 secs.

MKEgal

1FASTC4 said:
The question to ask is "why do black commit violent crime at a higher rate?"
Or the question might be, "Why aren't black people as good at getting away with violent crimes as white people are?" :lol:

I have a smiley there, but something along those lines could be argued in some form or other. Such as arguing police are more lenient on white people or push harder to go after black people or black people get worse attorneys or whatever.

All I know for sure is that Milwaukee is an embarrassment to the rest of Wisconsin. They should just change the name to "North Chicago" already.
All of what DC said.

Is there really a difference in the rate of crime commission,
or the rate of getting caught,
or the rate of getting arrested,
or the rate of getting charged,
or the rate of getting convicted?
Or (probably) a combination of all of those?

And if there are differences, is it really the pigment that's causing the problem?
I think not.
I think it's people's choices that cause problems, at least in the first & possibly the second categories.
Other people's perceptions & choices, based on the pigment of the criminal, play a part in the rest.

As far as I can tell, my melanin-gifted (black) across-the-street neighbor is no less law-abiding than the less melanin-gifted (Italian) guy next to him, who AFAIK is (currently*) no less law-abiding than I am, & I am severely melanin-impaired (German-English). And we all live in Milwaukee.
(*He had a wild youth.)

Last edited:

1FASTC4

All of what DC said.

Is there really a difference in the rate of crime commission,
or the rate of getting caught,
or the rate of getting arrested,
or the rate of getting charged,
or the rate of getting convicted?
Or (probably) a combination of all of those?

And if there are differences, is it really the pigment that's causing the problem?
I think not.
I think it's people's choices that cause problems, at least in the first & possibly the second categories.
Other people's perceptions & choices, based on the pigment of the criminal, play a part in the rest.

As far as I can tell, my melanin-gifted (black) across-the-street neighbor is no less law-abiding than the less melanin-gifted (Italian) guy next to him, who AFAIK is (currently*) no less law-abiding than I am, & I am severely melanin-impaired (German-English). And we all live in Milwaukee.
(*He had a wild youth.)

Yes there really is a difference in commission, getting caught, arrested, charged, and getting convicted. Stats don't lie. The question again is, why? There's theories, most not related to race.

I'm glad you have a law abiding black neighbor...not really sure what that has to do with anything but good for you. :)