Thread: Do you drive with gun holstered or??

Do you drive with gun holstered or??

When you OCing do you get in the car with gun already holstered or do you at some point go to your trunk? I figure the first since you aren't supposed to have out of the holster Just trying to get all the facts well beforehand..

Depends on whether or not the route will take one past a school zone,... doesnt it?
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Like C3 said, if you're traveling through a school zone (within 1000' of the edge of any public or private school teaching any grade from kindergarten to 12th grade), then you'll need to lock up your handgun somehow. You trunk would work, so would a locking briefcase, so would luggage with a lock. If you're not driving through any school zones, no need to put the handgun in a locked container.

You don't even need to have it in your holster really, you can put it on the dashboard of your car or on the passenger seat (just don't let it slide under the seat), but really the holster is the best place for it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe416 View Post
    Like C3 said, if you're traveling through a school zone (within 1000' of the edge of any public or private school teaching any grade from kindergarten to 12th grade), then you'll need to lock up your handgun somehow. You trunk would work, so would a locking briefcase, so would luggage with a lock. If you're not driving through any school zones, no need to put the handgun in a locked container.

You don't even need to have it in your holster really, you can put it on the dashboard of your car or on the passenger seat (just don't let it slide under the seat), but really the holster is the best place for it.
    ?????????????? .... Your kidding right... rhetorical question, no answer nessesary...

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (18911970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

Thanks for the info. Many what if's when owning a gun.
    Driving home from the gun shop after picking my gun up felt like I saw every city and chp on my 35 minute ride home

I recently purchased this Locking leather concealment case. About $20 or so.

I have also purchased and use this Locking Backpack. About $100.

The bacpack requires a TSA style mini combo lock that isnt to conspicuous and the bag can be transformed into an over the shoulder low ride satchel with an extra strap it comes with. The padded laptop compartment is perfect for the handgun and there is plenty of room for holsters and mags all lockable in main compartment. I have actually carried 4 Pistols in in before to the range.

The Day planner is awesome, it looks like an ordinary run of the mill day planner, unless someone picks it up and feels the weight( when the handgun is in it) no one will know its a gun case. I can fit my Large full size semi-auto with 2 mags snugly, or my sub compact with 2 mags easily. It has a mini skeleton key that locks the integral zipper lock (very inconspicuous) with an insert and 180 degree turn either direction to lock and unlock.

The zipper lock is one way only, which is another bonus, you can have the zipper all the way open, lock it, it will still zip all the way closed but will not return open the other way until unlocked. The key comes with a small dog chain style snap bracelet, I just leave the key on the planner all the time and its a simple pinch of the bracelet to remove it and secure it (pocket it). The day planner is such an ordinary looking daily item I carry it pretty much everywhere it is legal to LUCC, no one knows what it really is. On average I can unlock, unzip, load and rack the slide in about 8 seconds.

I highly recommend these 2 LUCC devices They will keep you legal and close as possible to a quickly readied handgun.

As for driving and OC'ing, there are so many school zones its just smarter and safer to have your firearm secured (locked on the seat next to you) and then holster up when you get to a known non school zone. I would say safest would be a restroom with a locking door, but if you park your car and are for the most part secluded you could holster up right there. Also ALWAYS press record on your recording device before you holster up.
    Last edited by Firemark; 06-24-2011 at 09:05 PM.
    New to OPEN CARRY? Click here first

"Gun owners in California in 2011 are like black people in the south in 1955. If you don't understand that then your concepts of fighting for gun rights is just tilting at windmills." Gene Hoffman.

"Why do you need to carry a gun?" ...Because it not a Bill of Needs, its a Bill of Rights!!

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman1 View Post
    ?????????????? .... Your kidding right... rhetorical question, no answer nessesary...
    Well, it may not be the safest thing to do if you like to swerve and slam on the brakes, but it's legal. You have to remember that in California all firearms are going to be unloaded, I certainly wouldn't suggest carrying a loaded firearm on the dash, even if it was legal. I'm just laying out the legal options. One could imagine that the "draw" time might be quicker for a firearm on the dash versus in a holster in some vehicles.

The myriad of laws and requirements have made the normal HG user/carrier look a bit foolish trying to comply.

As we've seen, you often can't even obey the very law(s) you're trying to follow if you try to put your HG into a car safe from your belt/holster/CC position and lock it because you now have a CC when you close the latch but before you exit the vehicle and it's not in your immediate possession (or something like that).

The reality is that it is not we who are foolish but those who make these untenable laws. I find it hard to believe that nobody asked when the law(s) were drafted 'gee, do you think criminals will be following these if they want to go shoot up a school? Aren't we guaranteeing they have a free field of fire, and nobody to defend the students?'

It was probably 'shut up, stupid, we're trying to keep the peasants unarmed and dependent on we, the politicians and law makers, it's not about the criminals - but if you tell 'them' that we'll have to kill you' (lol).

Anyway, my $.02
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    I find it hard to believe that nobody asked when the law(s) were drafted 'gee, do you think criminals will be following these if they want to go shoot up a school? Aren't we guaranteeing they have a free field of fire, and nobody to defend the students?'

It was probably 'shut up, stupid, we're trying to keep the peasants unarmed and dependent on we, the politicians and law makers, it's not about the criminals - but if you tell 'them' that we'll have to kill you' (lol).

Anyway, my $.02
    And that hits the nail on the head about as well as anything I've seen published!!

Thanks.

AD
    NRA Life - AMA Life - ABATE Life
    Viet-Nam Helicopters Pilots Assn - Life
    IDPA, ICORE and USPSA carry gun shooter - Glock Armorer
    NRA Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe416 View Post
    Well, it may not be the safest thing to do if you like to swerve and slam on the brakes, but it's legal. You have to remember that in California all firearms are going to be unloaded, I certainly wouldn't suggest carrying a loaded firearm on the dash, even if it was legal. I'm just laying out the legal options. One could imagine that the "draw" time might be quicker for a firearm on the dash versus in a holster in some vehicles.
    does need to be unloaded in a locked container.... Lock container = need warrant. i have lock box it stay open with key in lock until i get pulled over

Nice pistol case but......

Quote Originally Posted by Firemark View Post
    I recently purchased this Locking leather concealment case. About $20 or so.

I have also purchased and use this Locking Backpack. About $100.

The bacpack requires a TSA style mini combo lock that isnt to conspicuous and the bag can be transformed into an over the shoulder low ride satchel with an extra strap it comes with. The padded laptop compartment is perfect for the handgun and there is plenty of room for holsters and mags all lockable in main compartment. I have actually carried 4 Pistols in in before to the range.

The Day planner is awesome, it looks like an ordinary run of the mill day planner, unless someone picks it up and feels the weight( when the handgun is in it) no one will know its a gun case. I can fit my Large full size semi-auto with 2 mags snugly, or my sub compact with 2 mags easily. It has a mini skeleton key that locks the integral zipper lock (very inconspicuous) with an insert and 180 degree turn either direction to lock and unlock.

The zipper lock is one way only, which is another bonus, you can have the zipper all the way open, lock it, it will still zip all the way closed but will not return open the other way until unlocked. The key comes with a small dog chain style snap bracelet, I just leave the key on the planner all the time and its a simple pinch of the bracelet to remove it and secure it (pocket it). The day planner is such an ordinary looking daily item I carry it pretty much everywhere it is legal to LUCC, no one knows what it really is. On average I can unlock, unzip, load and rack the slide in about 8 seconds.

I highly recommend these 2 LUCC devices They will keep you legal and close as possible to a quickly readied handgun.

As for driving and OC'ing, there are so many school zones its just smarter and safer to have your firearm secured (locked on the seat next to you) and then holster up when you get to a known non school zone. I would say safest would be a restroom with a locking door, but if you park your car and are for the most part secluded you could holster up right there. Also ALWAYS press record on your recording device before you holster up.
    ....the company has a minimum order of $150 and I dont need
    $150s worth of "day planners" ! Maybe I'll just call em and see if they will ship one
    Last edited by EXTREMEOPS1; 06-29-2011 at 07:03 AM.
    "There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

- General George S. Patton, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckinchico View Post
    does need to be unloaded in a locked container.... Lock container = need warrant. i have lock box it stay open with key in lock until i get pulled over
    Need a warrant to search anything in my car sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaki View Post
    When you OCing do you get in the car with gun already holstered or do you at some point go to your trunk? I figure the first since you aren't supposed to have out of the holster Just trying to get all the facts well beforehand..
    Holstered and loaded, whether by the front door of a school or a police station. Oh, you mean in the PDR of kalifornia. Sorry, I live in the US.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Holstered and loaded, whether by the front door of a school or a police station. Oh, you mean in the PDR of kalifornia. Sorry, I live in the US.
    Ummm, ok. To those who posted a intelligent answer thank you. The ins and outs of oc'ing are many

Quote Originally Posted by Yaki View Post
    Ummm, ok. To those who posted a intelligent answer thank you. The ins and outs of oc'ing are many
    Just funning with ya...I lived in California for two years while in the AF in the '70s. Whatever happened to that state, by the way?
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Just funning with ya...I lived in California for two years while in the AF in the '70s. Whatever happened to that state, by the way?
    a lot of the good people left and left the rest of us with some liberal b.s. politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by Iopencarry View Post
    a lot of the good people left and left the rest of us with some liberal b.s. politicians.
    And now you have governor Moonbeam again. He didn't completely destroy the state the first time. He will now.