• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you drive with gun holstered or??

Yaki

When you OCing do you get in the car with gun already holstered or do you at some point go to your trunk? I figure the first since you aren't supposed to have out of the holster :confused: Just trying to get all the facts well beforehand..

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Like C3 said, if you're traveling through a school zone (within 1000' of the edge of any public or private school teaching any grade from kindergarten to 12th grade), then you'll need to lock up your handgun somehow. You trunk would work, so would a locking briefcase, so would luggage with a lock. If you're not driving through any school zones, no need to put the handgun in a locked container.

You don't even need to have it in your holster really, you can put it on the dashboard of your car or on the passenger seat (just don't let it slide under the seat), but really the holster is the best place for it.

Outdoorsman1

Like C3 said, if you're traveling through a school zone (within 1000' of the edge of any public or private school teaching any grade from kindergarten to 12th grade), then you'll need to lock up your handgun somehow. You trunk would work, so would a locking briefcase, so would luggage with a lock. If you're not driving through any school zones, no need to put the handgun in a locked container.

You don't even need to have it in your holster really, you can put it on the dashboard of your car or on the passenger seat (just don't let it slide under the seat), but really the holster is the best place for it.

?????????????? .... Your kidding right... rhetorical question, no answer nessesary...

Outdoorsman1

Yaki

Thanks for the info. Many what if's when owning a gun.
Driving home from the gun shop after picking my gun up felt like I saw every city and chp on my 35 minute ride home :shocker:

Firemark

I recently purchased this Locking leather concealment case. About $20 or so.

I have also purchased and use this Locking Backpack. About $100.

The bacpack requires a TSA style mini combo lock that isnt to conspicuous and the bag can be transformed into an over the shoulder low ride satchel with an extra strap it comes with. The padded laptop compartment is perfect for the handgun and there is plenty of room for holsters and mags all lockable in main compartment. I have actually carried 4 Pistols in in before to the range.

The Day planner is awesome, it looks like an ordinary run of the mill day planner, unless someone picks it up and feels the weight( when the handgun is in it) no one will know its a gun case. I can fit my Large full size semi-auto with 2 mags snugly, or my sub compact with 2 mags easily. It has a mini skeleton key that locks the integral zipper lock (very inconspicuous) with an insert and 180 degree turn either direction to lock and unlock.

The zipper lock is one way only, which is another bonus, you can have the zipper all the way open, lock it, it will still zip all the way closed but will not return open the other way until unlocked. The key comes with a small dog chain style snap bracelet, I just leave the key on the planner all the time and its a simple pinch of the bracelet to remove it and secure it (pocket it). The day planner is such an ordinary looking daily item I carry it pretty much everywhere it is legal to LUCC, no one knows what it really is. On average I can unlock, unzip, load and rack the slide in about 8 seconds.

I highly recommend these 2 LUCC devices They will keep you legal and close as possible to a quickly readied handgun.

As for driving and OC'ing, there are so many school zones its just smarter and safer to have your firearm secured (locked on the seat next to you) and then holster up when you get to a known non school zone. I would say safest would be a restroom with a locking door, but if you park your car and are for the most part secluded you could holster up right there. Also ALWAYS press record on your recording device before you holster up.

Last edited:

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
?????????????? .... Your kidding right... rhetorical question, no answer nessesary...

Well, it may not be the safest thing to do if you like to swerve and slam on the brakes, but it's legal. You have to remember that in California all firearms are going to be unloaded, I certainly wouldn't suggest carrying a loaded firearm on the dash, even if it was legal. I'm just laying out the legal options. One could imagine that the "draw" time might be quicker for a firearm on the dash versus in a holster in some vehicles.

Badger Johnson

The myriad of laws and requirements have made the normal HG user/carrier look a bit foolish trying to comply.

As we've seen, you often can't even obey the very law(s) you're trying to follow if you try to put your HG into a car safe from your belt/holster/CC position and lock it because you now have a CC when you close the latch but before you exit the vehicle and it's not in your immediate possession (or something like that).

The reality is that it is not we who are foolish but those who make these untenable laws. I find it hard to believe that nobody asked when the law(s) were drafted 'gee, do you think criminals will be following these if they want to go shoot up a school? Aren't we guaranteeing they have a free field of fire, and nobody to defend the students?'

It was probably 'shut up, stupid, we're trying to keep the peasants unarmed and dependent on we, the politicians and law makers, it's not about the criminals - but if you tell 'them' that we'll have to kill you' (lol).

Anyway, my $.02

ADulay

I find it hard to believe that nobody asked when the law(s) were drafted 'gee, do you think criminals will be following these if they want to go shoot up a school? Aren't we guaranteeing they have a free field of fire, and nobody to defend the students?'

It was probably 'shut up, stupid, we're trying to keep the peasants unarmed and dependent on we, the politicians and law makers, it's not about the criminals - but if you tell 'them' that we'll have to kill you' (lol).

Anyway, my $.02

And that hits the nail on the head about as well as anything I've seen published!!

Thanks.

AD

stuckinchico

Well, it may not be the safest thing to do if you like to swerve and slam on the brakes, but it's legal. You have to remember that in California all firearms are going to be unloaded, I certainly wouldn't suggest carrying a loaded firearm on the dash, even if it was legal. I'm just laying out the legal options. One could imagine that the "draw" time might be quicker for a firearm on the dash versus in a holster in some vehicles.

does need to be unloaded in a locked container.... Lock container = need warrant. i have lock box it stay open with key in lock until i get pulled over

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Nice pistol case but......

I recently purchased this Locking leather concealment case. About $20 or so.

I have also purchased and use this Locking Backpack. About $100.

The bacpack requires a TSA style mini combo lock that isnt to conspicuous and the bag can be transformed into an over the shoulder low ride satchel with an extra strap it comes with. The padded laptop compartment is perfect for the handgun and there is plenty of room for holsters and mags all lockable in main compartment. I have actually carried 4 Pistols in in before to the range.

The Day planner is awesome, it looks like an ordinary run of the mill day planner, unless someone picks it up and feels the weight( when the handgun is in it) no one will know its a gun case. I can fit my Large full size semi-auto with 2 mags snugly, or my sub compact with 2 mags easily. It has a mini skeleton key that locks the integral zipper lock (very inconspicuous) with an insert and 180 degree turn either direction to lock and unlock.

The zipper lock is one way only, which is another bonus, you can have the zipper all the way open, lock it, it will still zip all the way closed but will not return open the other way until unlocked. The key comes with a small dog chain style snap bracelet, I just leave the key on the planner all the time and its a simple pinch of the bracelet to remove it and secure it (pocket it). The day planner is such an ordinary looking daily item I carry it pretty much everywhere it is legal to LUCC, no one knows what it really is. On average I can unlock, unzip, load and rack the slide in about 8 seconds.

I highly recommend these 2 LUCC devices They will keep you legal and close as possible to a quickly readied handgun.

As for driving and OC'ing, there are so many school zones its just smarter and safer to have your firearm secured (locked on the seat next to you) and then holster up when you get to a known non school zone. I would say safest would be a restroom with a locking door, but if you park your car and are for the most part secluded you could holster up right there. Also ALWAYS press record on your recording device before you holster up.
....the company has a minimum order of $150 and I dont need
$150s worth of "day planners" ! Maybe I'll just call em and see if they will ship one

Last edited:

Gunslinger

When you OCing do you get in the car with gun already holstered or do you at some point go to your trunk? I figure the first since you aren't supposed to have out of the holster :confused: Just trying to get all the facts well beforehand..

Holstered and loaded, whether by the front door of a school or a police station. Oh, you mean in the PDR of kalifornia. Sorry, I live in the US.

Yaki

Holstered and loaded, whether by the front door of a school or a police station. Oh, you mean in the PDR of kalifornia. Sorry, I live in the US.

Ummm, ok. To those who posted a intelligent answer thank you. The ins and outs of oc'ing are many :banghead: