• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

And in TSA news...

since9

Campaign Veteran
Oh, I don't know. I got $5 that says they're getting exactly the kind of employees they want:

Not too bright automatons who will blindly follow orders, and will do whatever for pay, and don't know enough nor care enough about rights...

Reminds me of a comedy routine about Walt Disney automatons: "It's said that God created man in his image. If I was created in Walt's image, what does that say about what Walt is doing with his hand?"

Think about it for a moment. Could you do a [strike]custodial[/strike] pat-down search...

Not without RAS.

...or irradiate a fellow human being without a warrant

Sure. I irradiate my son every time I turn on his bedroom light in the morning. Two different scanners were vying for the market last year. The ones that won are benign. The ones that didn't win were far more dangers. It's still less radiation than you get from sunlight.

Could you work on a VIPER team and just up and make suspicionless seizures of truck drivers just trying to get their load through to where ever its supposed to go?

Inspections? Yes. Groundless seizures? No.

HandyHamlet

The ones that won are benign. The ones that didn't win were far more dangers.

Cite?

George Soros also profiting off controversial new TSA scanners
By: Mark Hemingway | Weekly Standard | 11/14/10 1:00 AM

Be sure and read Tim Carney’s Examiner column today on the politically-connected lobby for the controversial new TSA scanners that are upsetting airline employees and travelers everywhere. Carney notes that a company called Rapiscan got a $165 million contract for the new body image scanners four days after the underwear-bomber incident this past Christmas. Not surprisingly, Rapiscan is politically connected, observes Carney:

Rapiscan got the other naked-scanner contract from the TSA, worth $173 million. Rapiscan’s lobbyists include Susan Carr, a former senior legislative aide to Rep. David Price, D-N.C., chairman of the Homeland Security Subcommittee. When Defense Daily reported on Price’s appropriations bill last winter, the publication noted “Price likes the budget for its emphasis on filling gaps in aviation security, in particular the whole body imaging systems.”

Then this morning Carney also noted that former Homeland Security secretary Michael Chertoff was flacking for Rapiscan.

As for the company’s other political connections, it also appears that none other than George Soros, the billionaire funder of the country’s liberal political infrastructure, owns 11,300 shares of OSI Systems Inc., the company that owns Rapiscan. Not surprisingly, OSI’s stock has appreciated considerably over the course of the year. Soros certainly is a savvy investor.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs...-controversial-new-tsa-scanners#ixzz1RIzknbUi