• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help Repeal G.S. 14‑269.3

gunnerdog

I have just joined the forums, but i have been lurking for a while. Since HB 650 was just signed by Govenor Perdue, I figure there is some momentum for gun law reform that we might be able to take advantage of. Unfortunately HB 650 did nothing for carry in movie theators or restraunts that server alcohol.

This is why i am urging everyone to take a minute to write a consise, polite email to Representative Mark K. Hilton (Rep) Mark.Hilton@ncleg.net to ask him to introduce a bill to repeal G.S. 14‑269.3. He was the primary sponsor of HB 650 and seems to be a proponent of the right to carry.

Also send a letter to your local representative:

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/members/memberList.pl?sChamber=House

Together we can change this silly law.

-----------------------------------
§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(b) This section shall not apply to the following:

(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;

(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;

(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and

(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

EricDailey X-NRA

Open carry reform

I have just joined the forums, but i have been lurking for a while. Since HB 650 was just signed by Govenor Perdue, I figure there is some momentum for gun law reform that we might be able to take advantage of. Unfortunately HB 650 did nothing for carry in movie theators or restraunts that server alcohol.
This is why i am urging everyone to take a minute to write a consise, polite email to Representative Mark K. Hilton (Rep) Mark.Hilton@ncleg.net to ask him to introduce a bill to repeal G.S. 14‑269.3. He was the primary sponsor of HB 650 and seems to be a proponent of the right to carry.
Also send a letter to your local representative:
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/members/memberList.pl?sChamber=House
Together we can change this silly law.
§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
(b) This section shall not apply to the following:
(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;
(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;
(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and
(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

You may know and understand that HB 650 only addressed concealed carry.

Unfortunately HB 650 did nothing for OPEN CARRY in movie theaters or restaurants that serve alcohol.

Concealed carry is a privilege granted by the state and not a Second Amendment Right. We must emphasize this difference because many 2A advocates do not sufficiently understand it.

Open Carry and unregulated concealed carry known as Constitutional carry is what we at OCDO North Carolina should be working on. I hope you will speak out in your appeal for members of OCDO to demand Second Amendment reforms that will secure OPEN CARRY. That is what we should be working toward.

chiefjason

Look up HB 111. It addresses the restaurant part, but not admission. It's sitting in Senate Judiciary II comittee until the short session starts. For the time being there will be no new bills introduced till 2013 during the next long session. But that does no mean you can't start emailing them about what you want.

25-06shooter

Open Carry and unregulated concealed carry known as Constitutional carry is what we at OCDO North Carolina should be working on. I hope you will speak out in your appeal for members of OCDO to demand Second Amendment reforms that will secure OPEN CARRY. That is what we should be working toward.

Actually, they both should be worked on at the same time. Sure, the bill that was passed and signed into law yesterday was not all we hoped it would be, but it is better than we had it and it is a step in the right direction.
ANY victory on gun rights is a victory for all of us, concealed and open.

United we stand, divided we fall.

Nate

EricDailey X-NRA

No

Actually, they both should be worked on at the same time. Sure, the bill that was passed and signed into law yesterday was not all we hoped it would be, but it is better than we had it and it is a step in the right direction.
ANY victory on gun rights is a victory for all of us, concealed and open.

United we stand, divided we fall.

Nate

You seem not to understand that if you carry a firearm because you have permission from your rulers that it is NOT a right. If you carry a firearm because you have permission, that makes you subservient. That makes others superior. Who is superior to the citizen of a republic. It's not the governing officials.

The OP (original post) urged action by members of this OPEN CARRY forum but never mentioned OPEN CARRY. Following posts referred to HB 111 which is NOT a reform to open carry. I simply made the distinction for those who may have missed it but I failed because folks are still missing it.

I am struggling to find out if anyone is working on open carry reform in North Carolina. I have yet to discover any who are. If you do please tell us all here on OpenCarry org North Carolina.

25-06shooter

You seem not to understand that if you carry a firearm because you have permission from your rulers that it is NOT a right. If you carry a firearm because you have permission, that makes you subservient. That makes others superior. Who is superior to the citizen of a republic. It's not the governing officials.

The OP (original post) urged action by members of this OPEN CARRY forum but never mentioned OPEN CARRY. Following posts referred to HB 111 which is NOT a reform to open carry. I simply made the distinction for those who may have missed it but I failed because folks are still missing it.

I am struggling to find out if anyone is working on open carry reform in North Carolina. I have yet to discover any who are. If you do please tell us all here on OpenCarry org North Carolina.

No sir, I understand completely. You are missing the bigger picture. The 2A guarentees our right to OC, but some of us prefer to CC when we feel we need to be more PC in order to not ruffle feathers and bring un-need attention to ourselves. The OC restrictions will not be removed anywhere before CC is legalized in those same places, simply because of the "uncomfortable" grandma's and soccer moms. What they can't see won't hurt (or scare) them. If you are not lobbying for CC, you aren't helping OC either.

BTW, last I heard there were 80 million gun owners in the US. If every one of them would join the most powerful gun rights organization in the USA we could get any bill passed or removed we wanted. Any idea who that might be?

I'll say it again because it really is that important:

United we stand, Divided we fall.

Nate

rotorhead

Sounds like there's fertile ground out there for you to start up your own OC Rights group and get this thing kicked off in the right direction. I'd join you to help the OC community, along with keeping my membership in other organizations who are doing other things to change some of these laws.

If no other group out there is doing the things needed to your satisfaction, then who better to start the movement than you? Please tell us here on OpenCarry org that you've started an OC-based group so we can know someone is working on these issues.

Last edited:

Northerner

Sounds like there's fertile ground out there for you to start up your own OC Rights group and get this thing kicked off in the right direction. I'd join you to help the OC community, along with keeping my membership in other organizations who are doing other things to change some of these laws.

If no other group out there is doing the things needed to your satisfaction, then who better to start the movement than you? Please tell us here on OpenCarry org that you've started an OC-based group so we can know someone is working on these issues.

+1