• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Poll: Bobby Scott introduces campus safety bill

bullseye

Campaign Veteran
The death of a colleague's nephew near Old Dominion University has prompted U.S. Rep. Robert C. "Bobby" Scott to push college campus safety legislation again...

http://www.dailypress.com/news/politics/dp-nws-scott-safety-bill-20110625,0,3576979.story

One of the answers to the poll is:

• Doubtful. This is probably just another piece of anti-gun legislation. Campuses would be safer if students and teachers were allowed to carry guns openly.
Currently (9:15 a.m) this response has 12% of the vote (19 Votes out of 165)

Direct link to the poll page: http://www.dailypress.com/news/politics/dp-nws-campus-safety-poll,0,2002322,post.poll

Blk97F150

It's a tough poll, as I want to vote for three of the choices.

I would be willing to bet that is intentional.... split the 'no' vote three different ways, yet only give one 'yes' option. All just an effort to make the 'yes' vote look better (although it doesn't appear to have helped much....).

The Wolfhound

If the killing was NEAR campus, how is that campus safety?

Bobby Scott reveals himself to be the idiot most of us in Virginia have always know he was. Typical gun grabber looking for any excuse. Freedom will advance once he finally gets voted out of office.

VApatriot

This is one of the worst ideas I have heard in a while! Even if this has nothing to do with new gun-control (like a 1,000' zone for colleges), laws and regulation at the fed level will be an absolute waist of time and money.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

I voted for that choice.

It's a tough poll, as I want to vote for three of the choices.

I agree, but the three I would pick are all in the 25% range while the two others are 13% and 8%. The 8% being the one saying I would need to seem more info before deciding.

I also voted for "...Campuses would be safer if students and teachers were allowed to carry guns openly".

p.publius

poll results as of 6/26/2011

Absolutely. How can we not be interested in protecting young people who are trying to educate themselves? (38 responses)

13%

No way. I fail to see how a bureaucratic commission in Washington will make any college students any safer. (77 responses)

26%

I don't know. I'm all for college safety, but I'd have to know more about this actual plan before I would approve of it. (24 responses)

8%

Doubtful. This is probably just another piece of anti-gun legislation. Campuses would be safer if students and teachers were allowed to carry guns openly. (80 responses)

27%

No. College campuses don't need special legislation. The laws of the land already apply to them. (81 responses)

27%

300 total responses

(Results not scientific)

user

Accomplished Advocate
Funding?

I hope Bobby's got some language in his bill to fund the wrongful death suits that will result from negligent failure to protect the people on campus. If they take away the right to self-defense and defense of others, it will be incumbent upon the Commonwealth, I think, to provide actual protection for every person on campus. If they don't fund the armed guards necessary to provide the protection, they'd better fund the ability to pay off after being sued under the Virginia Tort Claims Act.