Thread: Ca. Suprme court allows cell phones to be searched without warrant

Ca. Suprme court allows cell phones to be searched without warrant

Cops are now allowed to search cell phones if you are arrested. They can go thru all your files that the phone accesses. Better reconsider using your cell phone to upload police stops as they can easily be deleted err accidently deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaki View Post
    Cops are now allowed to search cell phones if you are arrested. They can go thru all your files that the phone accesses. Better reconsider using your cell phone to upload police stops as they can easily be deleted err accidently deleted.
    Thanks Yaki, As I always say "Its better to know then not", even if its bad news.
    Carry on Bro !
    Robin47

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Here's a news story about the decision (which was actually from back in January): http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...rch-cell-phone

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe416 View Post
    Here's a news story about the decision (which was actually from back in January): http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...rch-cell-phone
    Tell the media they said it was finalized this week. They can now do it prior it was being argued.

My blackberry is password protected and my recorder still goes when locked

Exclamation Passwords don't help.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckinchico View Post
    My blackberry is password protected and my recorder still goes when locked
    Your password is worthless. All of these mobile phones have back doors that can be access via the USB port. A mobile extraction device can remove all the data without you ever even knowing it has happened.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/mic...ry?id=13428178
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ht_ufed_physical_pro_ll_110421_wg.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	6115  

There is also a program that infects that device. There is also a company that sells a chip that is for blackberry that encrypts everything, i have this its great secure calls are great. It was expense but worth it. It protects my clients too

Regular Member Evil Tyler Durden's Avatar
    Crummy California the most unfair state in the union.

DESTRUCTION BY LEO.q

Can you then sue the PD for destruction of private property by them going through your phone and erasing anything? I'm not liking this at all. Would be funny though if the LEO came across a video of someone being a plumber and laying the pipe to his wife.

Quote Originally Posted by tall_tree View Post
    Your password is worthless. All of these mobile phones have back doors that can be access via the USB port. A mobile extraction device can remove all the data without you ever even knowing it has happened.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/mic...ry?id=13428178
    Do you know this for a fact?

The only reason I ask is when I got new new phone in May they moved all my contacts over from the previous phone (a Palm Pre Plus) and I had a password on it.

They hooked everything up.. and then my Palm asked for the password before it would connect.

I typed it in, and the data was transferred.

I'm under no illusion that my phone is cop-proof with the a password. But it seems like it would hinder them at the very least.

But there are split decisions on searching people's phones with a warrant. The Supreme Court is going to have to ultimately decide this one.

So how is plugging a phone into a device any different from pulling the piece of electrical tape from over my weapons serial number?

Absent a warrant how can any court possibly think it's okay to search someones phone?

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and siezures...."

I guess the court thinks stealing your phone data and/or scrolling through it is "reasonable". Didn't the French elites think they were being reasonable right before the people sacked them?
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by We-the-People View Post
    SNIP Absent a warrant how can any court possibly think it's okay to search someones phone?
    Look up the opinion and read the court's rationale. I vaguely recall the rationale in a similar case being that a person and all his stuff on him is covered under the so-called "search incident to arrest" warrant exception.

Personally, I say its bullhockey. Used to be, the cops wanted call records, they had to get a warrant and pester the phone company. No reason to change it.
    Last edited by Citizen; 07-02-2011 at 02:51 AM.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    That and the ability to track your every move through your cell, and remotely listen to your conversations even if you turn your phone off, is making me think twice about carrying my phone with me everywhere.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    That and the ability to track your every move through your cell, and remotely listen to your conversations even if you turn your phone off, is making me think twice about carrying my phone with me everywhere.
    Just take the battery out.

I wonder. How would it work to cut a narrow slot in the battery cover, and insert a piece of posterboard or other electrically insulative material betweent the phone and battery terminals? Kinda like Hallmark greeting cards where you slip out the little piece of plastic so the melody plays when the card is opened.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Just take the battery out.

I wonder. How would it work to cut a narrow slot in the battery cover, and insert a piece of posterboard or other electrically insulative material betweent the phone and battery terminals? Kinda like Hallmark greeting cards where you slip out the little piece of plastic so the melody plays when the card is opened.
    Not a bad idea, I know someone who has removed their GPS chip, and no feds have crashed down his door yet.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)