Thread: Being armed at all times

Being armed at all times

hey everybody,

I am trying to see if I can get a good discussion on this. Is anyone else here not too fond of the fact we can't open carry into a place that serves alcohol for on site consumption?

No argument there. It's a silly rule with no rational basis.

/thread

it's good to know that no one seems to disagree that it's irrational.

Seems like it would actually help point out those who shouldn't be having a beer.

Thus does government take logic and slowly choke the life out of it.

We have the same problem here in Louisiana. It's stupid and needs to go away. I read somewhere the there are only a handful of states with these laws. I'm curious to see a list of those States which ban carry where alcohol is served.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

There was a time not long ago... when I could enter a bar heeled... 'n hand my pistol or gunbelt to the barkeep 'n get it back upon leaving. In the pre-concealed permit days prior to '94, carrying wasn't much of an issue. The influx of Yankees 'n Cal'fornican's made it one. Kind'a like the smokin' ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Rebel View Post
    There was a time not long ago... when I could enter a bar heeled... 'n hand my pistol or gunbelt to the barkeep 'n get it back upon leaving. In the pre-concealed permit days prior to '94, carrying wasn't much of an issue. The influx of Yankees 'n Cal'fornican's made it one. Kind'a like the smokin' ban.
    Depending on the bar, I'm pretty sure you could still do that.

I kinda doubt anyone at The Palace would even blink if you asked them to check your gunbelt at the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by JesseL View Post
    Depending on the bar, I'm pretty sure you could still do that.

I kinda doubt anyone at The Palace would even blink if you asked them to check your gunbelt at the bar.
    Yeah, it is not uncommon to see the 'reenactor' types in the Palace, fully heeled with cartridges in the belt. Blanks or not, the guns appear real, and I've never seen anyone verify them at the Palace.

hey everybody,

I am trying to see if I can get a good discussion on this. Is anyone else here not too fond of the fact we can't open carry into a place that serves alcohol for on site consumption?

I'll probably catch hell for this, but I really don't see any problem with requiring people to cover their weapon while in a bar. Consider the following facts:

In bars, you frequently find drunks.

Drunks get offended over the silliest little things (like people OCing) like to pick fights with people.

Drunks are frequently bullet-proof (or at least think they are.)

Anyway, consider yourself lucky; it could be much worse: In New Mexico, they can't carry anywhere that sells alcohol, even if it's only for off-premises consumption. This puts off limits pretty much every convenience store and grocery store in the state.

Did not know that about New Mexico. Going to have to scrap Santa Fe from my places to move list. Anyway, I think the whole
    thing in general is stupid....Our 2nd Amendment rights are nothing more than a political game. I'm sorry, I mean our lives.
    Everything is so tit for tat. It's insane. How about a law that says THE RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.
    -M
    T.V. brings on a whole new meaning to thinking inside the box.

-M

Did not know that about New Mexico.

Also, in New Mexico, the whole guns/booze thing is a felony, whereas here, it's only a misdemeanor. Their law with regard to that sucks big time.

Quote Originally Posted by me812 View Post
    I'll probably catch hell for this, but I really don't see any problem with requiring people to cover their weapon while in a bar. Consider the following facts:
    In bars, you frequently find drunks.
    Drunks get offended over the silliest little things (like people OCing) like to pick fights with people.
    Drunks are frequently bullet-proof (or at least think they are.)
    I respectfully disagree.

When I lived in Virginia, the ONLY way you could enter a place that served alcohol was if you open carried. And, you could consume alcohol.

In the 15 years I lived there (I moved away in 2002), the only firearms altercations in bars that I was aware of involved drunk off-duty law enforcement officers carrying "concealed" (they and criminals were the only ones who could). I understand that recently Virginia passed a law allowing discreet carry where alcohol is seved, but when I lived there it was open carry only and the law was at least a hundred years old.

After moving to Arizona and finding that I had greater RKBA freedoms in Virginia, I decided to do something about it and co-founded AzCDL.

While we've made great strides in Arizona, particularly with Constiutional Carry, when it comes to other issues like Restaurant Carry and carrying in "public" buildings, Virginia is still way ahead of Arizona.

Oh...and one other issue... Your scenario implies that firearms are only carried in "bars" full of drunks. I suspect that most of us carrying where alcohol is served involves dining in restaurants.

Fred
    Last edited by azcdlfred; 07-31-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by me812 View Post
    Did not know that about New Mexico.

Also, in New Mexico, the whole guns/booze thing is a felony, whereas here, it's only a misdemeanor. Their law with regard to that sucks big time.
    Only open carry and unlicensed concealed carry (unloaded) is prohibited at liquor establishments. If you have a CHL, you can go in most places concealed.

I have an AZ CWP... and I'll have to renew it (soon) 'cause I wander into NM 'n TX sometimes. I'm AWARE of NM's goofy liquor sales thing... so much so that I conceal for the most part in NM.... or leave it in the truck (I haf'ta get gas sometimes). It's a created concern that doesn't have to be.