• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A-hole drive by in Longmont

mahkagari

We just got back from a wedding. I recently posted in the holster forum about carrying in a kilt.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?90560-Kilts

The best ideas were either a modified sporran or a shoulder holster. I wasn't going to wear a jacket in this heat and I spaced out the event was fast approaching though DW kept talking about it so I hadn't done anything to my sporran. (Need to get around to building that bookshelf for her too.) While getting dressed I tried to fit my .357 in my sporran and to my irritation it wasn't working.

My wife looked over my shoulder and said, "To a wedding in Longmont?"

"Everywhere," I replied. What I was thinking though was, "No, to a gay wedding in a public park where I can't assume a pack of skinhead thugs isn't going to start something."

Turns out the park part she was talking about was the birthday party we took my daughters to beforehand. The wedding and reception were both at the church, which had a pride flag on its marquee. DW had made the cake as our gift. The couple wanted a plain frosting with a rainbow colored cake. The bakeries they called were either clueless and wanted to do a rainbow in the frosting or charge a fortune for the custom baking.

I was helping her unload the cake and this skinny-@$$ redneck (seriously, I wondered which trailer he'd driven out of to restock his meth supply) drove by and yelled "QUEER!"

I tensed, and muttered to my wife, "And that is why I wanted to carry." Though still, I was wearing knee high Docs. IME, carrying is not usually necessary to adjust these punks' perception of the world. Took on three of 'em while wearing 4-inch heeled boots back in my goth days. Just good to have backup.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I would probably never wear a kilt, not that I am against them, just never been interested. Don't be pissed off about that situation, be proud!!

mahkagari

This thread is worthless w/o pics....

Here's the cake. Or did you want one of the redneck? Just tune into any episode of COPS for that.

Attachments

• 264215_10150286801663055_580773054_9225306_5405576_n.jpg
    264215_10150286801663055_580773054_9225306_5405576_n.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 122

mahkagari

you wanted to carry so that someone wouldnt call you a queer?

No, because the unfortunate state of things is that there are better than even odds that someone is going to do more than just call someone something. In the above referenced story when someone mistook my heeled boots and vintage Air Force jacket for gay attire, they came at me with a knife, threw rocks from a distance and tried to take me out with a car, none of which were they able to do any damage with. When they actually got in close enough to be able to reach me, they were sent away needing medical attention.

Next time, I may not be as lucky. I have no intention of finding that out the hard way. The experience yesterday raaffirmed that you don't know where or when someone is going to label you as "target". It also reminded me that for some of my friends, something as simple as going to church gets them labeled thusly. Yesterday it was a single guy. It could have easily been a carful of doofuses egging eachother on and jumping out for a quick bash with baseball bats. There's a reason the Pink Pistols motto is "Armed gays don't get bashed".

I wasn't planning to OC to deter comments. As noted in the referenced thread, there is not a dress handgun out there that doesn't clash with a fashionable kilt. Next time, I'll be CCing. Especially when I'm out with my family among idiots picking arbitrary targets.

mahkagari

This thread is worthless w/o pics....

Here's the kilt. And yes, that is the Colorado tartan for those patriotic of our fair state.

Attachments

• Kilt.jpg
    Kilt.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

amlevin

As noted in the referenced thread, there is not a dress handgun out there that doesn't clash with a fashionable kilt.

Not even some neat "tartan" handgrips? Should be someone that makes them and could coordinate them with your kilt. Even several so you can change as you change kilts. Likewise with holsters.

mahkagari

I could argue this point but it may be off topic. Although, I rarely wear full garb when I am kilted.

Please do! Here or in the other thread. I can't see a way to make it work. Since the belt is higher, it's made further awkward.

Kingfish

I could argue this point but it may be off topic. Although, I rarely wear full garb when I am kilted.

Please do! Here or in the other thread. I can't see a way to make it work. Since the belt is higher, it's made further awkward.
A custom low rise leather holster in exotic skin would do nicely. A nice 1911 with grips to match the holster would bring it together. I wouldn't worry too much about the belt being higher than usual. A good holster maker can accommodate.
Maybe even have the holster maker make a sporran in matching leathers.

Last edited: