• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

cheat sheet for carry, help me out, is this accurate, please provide law if needed

ksks

for a correction...

Concealed Carry License
Handgun, Knife, Taser, Billy club

Where I can not carry.
1) Police Station
2) Sheriff Dept.
3) State Patrol
4) County, State or Federal Courthouse
5) Airport -beyond secured area
6) Prison, jail, HOC, Sand Ridge, WRC, secured portion of MH unit
7) Municipal courtroom when in session
8) Office of Division of Criminal Investigation special agent of DOJ
9) For above,
a) Can keep a weapon in a vehicle in parking facility
b) They don’t have to post or notify that I can’t carry
10) On grade school/high school grounds and in buildings
11) Some federal grounds, eg VA
12) Single-family private residence with land. Cannot enter or remain in a residence or on its land when the occupant tells you not to enter or remain.
13) Multi family residence.
a) Cannot enter or remain in that residence if the occupant says NO. Does not apply to common area, or common land.
b) Cannot enter or remain in the common area or on the grounds if the owner of facility posted.
c) Does not apply to the parking area if firearm is in the car.
d) Occupiers of residence can carry in residence and in common areas even if posted.
14) Non-residential building and its land, if owner/occupant has given notice not to enter or remain.
(Includes nursing home, CBRF, AFH, residential care apt, and hospice)
a) Does not apply to:
i) Buildings, grounds, or land occupied by the State or local govt.
ii) Privately or publically owned bldg on grounds of a college or university.
iii) Grounds owned or occupied by a college or university
iv) If in a vehicle, any part of a building, grounds or land used as parking
15) Land in General

a) Can not enters or remain on any land of another after having been notified by the owner or occupant not to enter or remain on the premises.
i) This paragraph does not apply to a licensee or out-of-state licensee if the owner's or occupant's intent is to prevent the licensee or out-of-state licensee from carrying a firearm on the owner's or occupant's land.
ii) Land - assume it means all real estate not otherwise covered by the law. For SB93 purposes, it does not include land associated with residential buildings, nonresidential buildings, government buildings, special events, prohibited government facilities.

16) Special event – an event that is open to the public, is for a duration of not more than 3 weeks, and either has designated entrances to and from the event that are locked when the event is closed, or requires admission.
a) Does not apply if the handgun is in the vehicle.
17) Any part of a building that is owned, occupied or controlled by the state or any local govt unit if they notified the person not to enter or remain in the bldg.
a) does not apply
i) If bldg. is already prohibited, e.g. courthouse
ii) To a person who leases residential or business premises in the bldg.
iii) If in a vehicle driven or parked in parking facility.
18) University or college, public or private
a) Can not carry in bldgs if posted.
b) Can carry on grounds without restriction
c) Does not apply if:
i) Person leases residential or business premises in bldg.
ii) Firearm in vehicle in parking facility

Penalties
1) For 1-8, fine max $500, jail max 30 days, or both
2) For 12-16, Class B forfeiture

Posting a sign to all above (not needed for single family residence)
1) “To give notice” means owner/occupant must post a sign
a) Located in a prominent place, with reasonable expectation to be seen
b) Near all entrances
c) Special events posted near all entrances
d) For grounds or land, sign near all probable access points
e) Sign must be at least 5”x7

Must carry the License and another photo ID when carrying.

Do I have to show LEO my License?
1) Must display license and photo ID to LEO upon request of LEO while acting in an official capacity and with lawful authority.
a) If caught without, will be fined $25, unless I present both documents to the law enforcement agency within 48 hours.

Length of License
1) 5 years
2) DOJ will mail notice 90 days before expiration
3) DOJ must renew within 21 days of receipt of application, statement and fees.
4) Can renew until 90 days after expiration date.

Can my employer stop me from carrying?
1) Yes, when in the course of the employee’s employment.
2) But, cannot prevent employer from carrying in the employee’s own car, regardless of whether the vehicle is used in the course of employment.
3) Employer cannot prevent employee from carrying in her/his vehicle driven or parked on employer’s property.

Immunity from liability – those immune for allowing others to carry are:
1) One who owns or occupies the property
2) An employer who does not prohibit employees from carrying

Disorderly conduct
1) One can not be charged for loading or carrying, either openly or concealed.

Alcohol, where it is sold and consumed
1) Can carry as long as I don’t drink alcohol

Gun Free School Zone (grades 1-12)
1) Class I felony for possession firearm on grounds or in bldg without special circumstances
2) Class B forfeiture for possessing a firearm within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school
a) Without a permit
b) If open carrying without permit

In a vehicle, one can:
1) Concealed carry.
2) Open carry.
3) Place, possess or transport a handgun.
4) Load a handgun
5) Operate ATV while carrying
6) Place, possess or transport a handgun in a motorboat with the motor running.
7) Place, possess or transport a handgun in a non-commercial aircraft.
8) Can not carry in a vehicle on some federal land, eg VA hospital

Carry in a State park, a wildlife refuge, or a State fish hatchery.
- Yes

---------------
HOC= House of Correction, Sand Ridge=prison treatment center for sexually violent offenders, WRC= WI Resource Center prison hospital for mental health, secured portion of MH unit=mental health, CBRF=community based residential facility, AFH=adult family home, LEO=law enforcement officer
---------------

Questions
Weapon is defined as a handgun, electric weapon, knife, or billy club, but above many times just references handguns.

Renewal -- “statement and application needed to reapply”
What is the “statement”?

Immunity is not addressed for those who prevent someone from carrying on their property, or for businesses and employers who prevent carry. Correct?

Posting
“To give notice” is defined as posting a sign. What about if you are already there? Giving notice would be done how? I assume and owner/occupant can tell you to leave and if you didn’t you could be fined for trespassing.
- I couldn’t find reference.

Accidently entering
What if you miss the sign? Sounds like you can still be fined.

What about Indian land?

What are all the federal lands you cant carry on?

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/senate/sen11/news/images/0930_001 FAQ.pdf

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/amendments/sb93/ssa2_sb93

Came out better formatted in a Word document. I borrowed this from various sources

Let me know your ideas. I can put up a final version if wanted.

ks

Last edited:

hermannr

Each tribe/reservation has it's own laws. The tribal laws can only be enforced on tribal members, the tribal police generally must contact the sheriff or state patrol to arrest a non-tribal member...however...they can boot you off the reservation if you do not follow their laws while a non-tribal guest.

Out here, most of the tribes have some sort of provision for legal carry or partial legal carry on reservation property per state license/law, but that is not something you should assume.

If you have a reservation that you like to hunt or fish on, it would be best to contact the Tribal chief LEO or the tribal council on how they are going to handle non-tribal members on OC or CC. Even if they have no restrictions, it will be good PR, as it will show they have a right to control their own property. (just as you have the right to control your own property) If you want, consider a reservation as tribal corporate private property and youw ill do just fine.

BTW: A lot of the larger reservations have their tribal laws online. Good place for contacts too.

M

McX

Gun Free School Zone (K-12)
1) Class I felony for possession firearm on grounds or in bldg without special circumstances
2) Class B forfeiture for possessing a firearm within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school
a) Without a permit
b) If open carrying

i was under the impression could OC within 1000 ftt. zone, if on permit. (?)

M

McX

thanks, I will correct that

not absolutely sure on that part KS, you may want to check with Paul for verification. an authority on anything i am not............well, maybe on cheeseburgers.

lance galloway

So am I reading this right HAND guns do NOT have to be unloaded and cased to be transported in a vehicle and if so does this mean I can OC in a vehicle with no permit ?

And if so 18-20 year olds can OC in a car they just have to stay out of school zones ??

Last edited:

ksks

So am I reading this right HAND guns do NOT have to be unloaded and cased to be transported in a vehicle and if so does this mean I can OC in a vehicle with no permit ?

And if so 18-20 year olds can OC in a car they just have to stay out of school zones ??

You can have a loaded, uncased handgun in the car.
OC in a vehicle without a permit...I'm not clear on that yet.
I dont believe there was every an age limit put on OC, just the permit

Can others provide a definitive answer to the last two issues?

xd40 neenah

So, did I see Universities and Technical colleges must be posted? I am a student at FVTC in Appleton and wondering how these rules are going to be affecting that. Can I have a concealed handgun, with a permit, in my car on the premises? On my person if not posted?

ksks

18) University or college, public or private
a) Can not carry in bldgs if posted.
b) Can carry on grounds without restriction

in the car is fine.