• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Snohomish Parks

chongo469

So another member and I went fishing at Hill Park in the city of Snohomish....As we enter there is a sign stating NO firearms allowed in park and I was pissed....I looked up the city codes and they state that they are not allowed inside the park which I know is B.S....I am writing them a letter stating RCW

LibertyDeath

Is it a shock, government agency ignoring laws and all? Just know its not a legal sign and nobody can do a damn thing about you carrying there.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome aboard Chongo.

Want to have some fun? Ask them why the PD still have any guns in their possession in light of an ordinance requiring that such either be sold or destroyed.

C. This ordinance and the amendment
creating Snohomish Municipal Code
9.41.010 shall apply to all firearms in the
possession of the Snohomish Police
Department
on the effective date of this
ordinance. (Ord. 2003, 2002)
http://www.ci.snohomish.wa.us/Code/09-41WeaponsControl.PDF

I do NOT see any exception for law enforcement use. :lol:

amlevin

Welcome aboard Chongo.

Want to have some fun? Ask them why the PD still have any guns in their possession in light of an ordinance requiring that such either be sold or destroyed.

Department

Cute, but it only applies to Confiscated or Forfeited firearms, not duty firearms.

Another one of those "out of context" situations.

amlevin

So another member and I went fishing at Hill Park in the city of Snohomish....As we enter there is a sign stating NO firearms allowed in park and I was pissed....I looked up the city codes and they state that they are not allowed inside the park which I know is B.S....I am writing them a letter stating RCW

While writing, why not also send one to your legislative reps. Suggest that they introduce a bill requiring the removal or correction of all regulatory signs that do not follow current State Law. Also suggest that there be a monetary penalty for failure to comply.

All the letter writing campaigns to local government should have similar efforts directed to the Legislature.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome aboard Chongo.

Department

sudden valley gunner

Welcome aboard Chongo.

Department

Now if I was in Snohomish I would go in and ask if they are following through on this law....;)

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
It appears you need to address this ordinance and well the ones cited and is not available online or is no longer in existence. (Ord.
1387, 1978)

http://www.ci.snohomish.wa.us/MunicipalCode.htm

13.04.070 Firearms – Fireworks –
Weapons. It is unlawful to shoot, fire, or
explode any firearm, fireworks, firecracker,
torpedo, or explosive of any kind or to carry
any firearm or to shoot or fire any air gun,
paint ball guns, bows and arrows, BB gun,
or use any slingshot in any park. (Ord.
1387, 1978)
Provided, this section should not apply to
law enforcement personnel or to department
of parks and recreation employees acting
pursuant to or in accordance with rules and
regulations of the Park Director. (Ord.
2132, 2007)

DCKilla

Welcome aboard Chongo.

Department

The title of stated section is "9.41.010 Disposition of Confiscated and Forfeited Firearms Proceeds." I don't see this going too far, nice try though.

chongo469

So this is what reply I have gotten from the Mayor of the city of Snohomish

Thank you for your email and attention to this matter concerning firearms inside our park. I am referring this to our City Manager, Chief of Police and City Attorney for their advice.
I'll let you know the results of this inquiry.
Karen Guzak, Mayor
360-568-1000

amlevin

So this is what reply I have gotten from the Mayor of the city of Snohomish

Thank you for your email and attention to this matter concerning firearms inside our park. I am referring this to our City Manager, Chief of Police and City Attorney for their advice.
I'll let you know the results of this inquiry.
Karen Guzak, Mayor
360-568-1000

The equivalent of "Warm air blown up your ---"

Rather than acknowledge the State Law they're going to "run it through channels" and in the time that takes, hope you forget about it.

We sure get our money's worth with all these elected officials, don't we.

jt59

The equivalent of "Warm air blown up your ---"

Rather than acknowledge the State Law they're going to "run it through channels" and in the time that takes, hope you forget about it.

We sure get our money's worth with all these elected officials, don't we.

The good news is that it has been put in "process"....the OP will now have to dog this doggedly over the next year.

I am still in hot pursuit of Tacoma Pierce County Parks to change the signage at Chambers Creek....(this appears to be phase two of the resistance of Gov't). The PC Council amended the rules last November after my request in writing in August. The management of (this) park has shifted, and for "excessive cost" to replace signs was refused. I went straight back to the PC Council Chair and Dick Muri who contacted the manager directly to get it done.....that was six weeks ago....no changes yet.

Gentle pressure, applied relentlessly.....:lol: Keep on 'em Chongo!

Last edited:

5jeffro7

have no fear

I've fished at hill park many times while open carrying, never had a bit of problem, even in mid week when the park was overflowing with daycare centers' worth of kids & chaperones. I've open carried in the park & not even been approached by the police when they were there for different reasons, so I"m pretty sure you won't have any problems, regardless of what the signs say

J

chongo469

The good news is that it has been put in "process"....the OP will now have to dog this doggedly over the next year.

I am still in hot pursuit of Tacoma Pierce County Parks to change the signage at Chambers Creek....(this appears to be phase two of the resistance of Gov't). The PC Council amended the rules last November after my request in writing in August. The management of (this) park has shifted, and for "excessive cost" to replace signs was refused. I went straight back to the PC Council Chair and Dick Muri who contacted the manager directly to get it done.....that was six weeks ago....no changes yet.

Gentle pressure, applied relentlessly.....:lol: Keep on 'em Chongo!

When i wrote her the letter I was very polite and even worded it as it may have just been an oversight, but I did link the WA state Pre-emption statute so she has something to go off of....I figure if I don't hear from her by Friday i will shoot off another email concerning her findings and send 1 weekly until I am satisfied with her answers........and then i will send 1 every week until I see the sign come down and the municipal code on the books changed

aadvark

amlevin:

I Apologize.

I did NOT Realize that Snohomish Doubled as The county Name and as a City Name within The County.

Either Way..., Washington Revised Code 9.41.290 Preempts City Governments within Washington State from Regulating Firearms within Parks, except; that Reasonable Discharge Regulations can Remain in Place.

aadvark

Last edited:

5jeffro7

Still.....

And yet another trek to Hill Park Last evening for an attempt at gathering fish...place was packed, kids all over the place, dozens of kids coming on to the fishing dock with their parents...not once did my firearm jump out of it's holster & shoot someone, nor did anyone run off screaming about someone with a gun (in fact, no one even asked me about my weapon).
Just as it should be!