• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Virginia Gun Laws Take Effect July 1st

TFred

The Department of Legislative Services put it out TFred. I haven't looked it over really well yet but it isn't nearly complete considering the quantity of new laws going in. Like most state agencies, they don't do any more than necessary to...just get by.

Not on the list and something for everyone to watch out for.....Rolling through a right turn on red will be Reckless Driving.
Unless there were two, I think that one died...

...I must be tired.. my posts tonight are making no sense. Apologies.

TFred

Last edited:

TFred

Apparently the new BB gun law is so inconsequential, that nobody is talking about it... I've seen several articles in local news media, none have mentioned the BB gun law.

I suppose that's one way to minimize the effect of a new liberty, just don't let anyone know they have it...

TFred

Dreamer

I wish they would write bills like that in NC. The new gun-related laws that were recently signed into law here in NC (improved Castle Doctrine, CC in banks, legal carry in State Parks etc) were rafted so that they do not take effect until December 1.

A fat lot of good legal CC in State Parks does us in December. They should have put it into effect "immediately upon signing by the Governor", so that tourists and NC residents could legally exercise their RKBA while on NC parklands during the busy summer season....

Jim Crow is alive and well in Raleigh, and he's a tough bugger to beat. Especially when he has so many friends in the Governor's mansion, and in the State House (mostly who are, BTW, Democrats and "minorities"...)

Good on ya, VA! Keep up the good work.

Hopefully, we can follow suit soon on some of these laws. NC always seems to be a few years behind the curve on gun laws, but we're working hard to catch up.

TFred

A fat lot of good legal CC in State Parks does us in December. They should have put it into effect "immediately upon signing by the Governor", so that tourists and NC residents could legally exercise their RKBA while on NC parklands during the busy summer season....
Some bills have provisions that put them into place immediately, or sometimes later.

There were good reasons for a delay, not too long ago, it did take time to communicate the changes to everyone.

These dates, and probably a few others in government of various levels, could probably be updated to reflect the speedier communication of the modern age.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This is one I missed during the session and very definitely concerns Gun Owners:

Lawmakers have now extended the ability to obtain an order of protection to any relationship that could cause harm — including dating.
Protective orders now include "any" act of violence or force that puts someone in danger of injury, sexual assault, or death.
Prior to this new law, court orders were only issued for protection against specific criminal acts, and it was tough for people who were dating — but not living together or married — to get one.
Protective orders can also now apply to workplace relationships.

stickslinger

We are discovering that quite a few local ordinances are on the books that prohibit or restrict the discharge of BB or air guns.

Some have been in the news, while most are probably not even aware of the issue.

Steps are already under way to correct Fredericksburg. Spotsylvania is also probably in the process, or will be soon.

If everyone took a look at their own locality, we'd probably be able to get a good start on finding and correcting these soon-to-be preempted local ordinances.

Municode is a good place to start!

ETA: Good search terms to use are "BB", and "pneumatic". Also make sure these types of guns are not lumped in with regular firearms for regulation of discharge.

TFred

Search results for BB in the Prince William County section resulted in the following:

Server Error in '/' Application.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
searchResults.processSearch() +97
searchResults.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +379
System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +25
System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +42
System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +132
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +66
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2428

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.5420; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.5420