Thread: Opencarry site was shown in a news story about a boycott by gun rights advocates

Opencarry site was shown in a news story about a boycott by gun rights advocates

At the one min mark you can clearly see the site and they say Open carry . org.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...tores+infringe

Mike Lowe FOX6 Reporter
    5:26 p.m. CDT, June 24, 2011
    http://www.fox6now.com/news/witi-201...,5236383.story
    Bret Eulberg is the owner of Robert Haack Diamonds at 76th and Layton in Greenfield. He made a choice to say he would prohibit concealed weapons in his store. But now, he's receiving angry phone calls and messages threatening a boycott.

"We're getting phone calls saying we're not going to come to your store supporting you because you're against gun rights. We're not against gun rights, my contention is if a bad guy's in my store and you're a good samaritan in my store and you see the bad guy whipping out the gun, we already have security procedures in place to protect ourselves," said Eulberg Friday.

Eulberg says it's a practical, not a political stance that he's taking. He says he simply does not want firearms inside of a jewelry store where customers can negotiate prices.
    Last edited by zack991; 06-26-2011 at 06:55 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

my contention is if a bad guy's in my store and you're a good samaritan in my store and you see the bad guy whipping out the gun, we already have security procedures in place to protect ourselves
    He might as well forget his security procedures. Simply having a no guns policy will no doubt cause the bad guy to go elsewhere. (eye roll)

What a stupid argument. He has security procedures to protect himself, but not his customers. He obviously fails to see why someone would carry a defensive weapon. I carry for the defense of myself and my family... The owner of a jewelry store is on his own.

Eulberg says it's a practical, not a political stance that he's taking. He says he simply does not want firearms inside of a jewelry store where customers can negotiate prices.
    Then he shouldn't have a problem with those that carry guns for practical purposes taking there business elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    "We're getting phone calls saying we're not going to come to your store supporting you because you're against gun rights. We're not against gun rights, my contention is if a bad guy's in my store and you're a good samaritan in my store and you see the bad guy whipping out the gun, we already have security procedures in place to protect ourselves," said Eulberg Friday.
    Eulberg's "security procedures" protect himself by refusing to allow any of the patrons to protect themselves. And he wonders why he's being boycotted?

Eulberg says it's a practical, not a political stance that he's taking.
    The most practical measure of security is to open the doors to any and all law-abiding citizens who wish to exercise their 2A rights. Done right, the criminals will simply be outnumbered.

He says he simply does not want firearms inside of a jewelry store where customers can negotiate prices.
    I say I simply do not want to do business inside a jewelry store where criminals will carry while we honest, law-abiding customers cannot.

I support the boycott! Staying out of the store is the best long-term security procedure for that city block. It's a practical means of pulling the economic rug out from under store-owners who refuse to respect our nation's Constitution.
    Last edited by since9; 08-11-2011 at 01:41 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    --snip-- He says he simply does not want firearms inside of a jewelry store where customers can negotiate prices.
    The price of my safety is not negotiable - that is too much to ask.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Regular Member Large Caliber Kick's Avatar
    Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The price of my safety is not negotiable - that is too much to ask.
    +1

He doesn't want firearms inside a jewelry store where customers can negotiate prices??? What kind of pinhead actually says such things in public? For heaven's sake, I can only assume he has those ol' wild west, OK corral, blood in the streets mentality so his fantasies include customers who would say "C'mon, Eulberg, I'm callin' you out! No way I'm payin' them overinflated suckerbait prices! Let's settle this like men. Git yore .45 an' meet me on th' street!"

It really is astounding to see what primitive fears these "no guns" policies derive from. Maybe we should ask Massad Ayoob write him a note. His Dad was a jeweller who was sick of getting robbed so he decided to arm himself, and his son as well.

A boycott is a choice not a threat. He has a choice, so do patrons, he needs to get over his control issues. Considering that we are a small segment of society I believe he is making a political statement. A choice by us to "boycott" should not affect his bottom line that much. Besides concealed carry customers are just that, he wouldn't or shouldn't even know who is packing. Now that the BG's know that customers are unarmed and he is a liberal, hopefully he does not get a lesson from the school of hard knocks.

Mr Eulberg and his customers would probably be safer by publicly announcing combinations to safes rather than publicly announcing his position and signage of prohibited firearms/weapons. Good luck with that. *Shrugs*

I'm not boycotting anyone. He's boycotting me! He decided I and anyone else who chooses to carry we are not welcome. We respect that and will not do business with him. It's his choice. He chose to discriminate against us, so he will lose businesses. I've told him before that Starbucks has seen a huge increase in sales since they told the anti-fights people to fornicate themselves. He dismissed it and said, "Good for them they are doing well." You can view this thread as well as his facebook page.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    If his customers can negotiate prices, he's overpricing things. Who'd want to do business in a place like that anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    If his customers can negotiate prices, he's overpricing things. Who'd want to do business in a place like that anyway?
    A friend of mine who's parents run a jewelry store say most jewelers increase their prices by 400%.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    A friend of mine who's parents run a jewelry store say most jewelers increase their prices by 400%.
    They have to. Their inventory holding costs are sky-high, while their inventory turnover is quite low. Result: High margins are required just to break even.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.