• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New member,need a little help.

Mr. GUNderson

Hello to all first and foremost! Looking forward to some good posts from all the members, and may be attending a few events in the future!

But I guess what I need help with is chosing a CCW gun. I've seen this on armslist, and am tempted to jump on it as it's priced right and comes with a lot of extras. Anyone on here have any experience with this particular firearm?

http://www.armslist.com/posts/15386...handguns-for-sale-taurus-709-slim-ccw-package

I've heard that Taurus pistols have a nack for jamming and poor customer service, but man for the money, I feel like making the purchase. Thanks ahead of time guys!

oliverclotheshoff

welcome to the cool crowd

it is just like chosing a OC firearm carry what is comfortable for you to carry my choice will be differnet form your choice and jimbobs choice so go with one the feels the best

one would say the user doesnt choose the sidearm the sidearm chooses the user

sorry to get all confucsios

MKEgal

Welcome aboard.
While I don't have experience with the gun you're asking about, think for a minute if you want to trust your life to a machine that doesn't work reliably.
And bad customer service? :mad:

I'm partial to Glocks, & if you're looking for a smaller pistol go handle a 26 (9mm) or 27 (.40).
One of the reasons I bought the model I did was because (according to Glock) it's the most-used LEO/military sidearm in the world. It wouldn't be if it didn't work reliably.
At the range, only an annoyance if it doesn't work. On the street, I could die.

Find something reliable, that's comfortable in your hand.
This investment is going to last a long time.

protias

For a range gun, I'm sure it would be fine, but Taurus is just one of those I don't trust to run with thousands of rounds of ammunition and still work. I can speak from experience from my Springfield XD45, I had run ~2,000 rounds without lubing the slide before it started to have failure to eject (FTE) and failure to feed (FTF). If you want a gun to work with every single shot, get a revolver. I will be carrying my Ruger SP101 3 1/16" .357Mag when conceal carry becomes legal.

DangerClose

Tauruses are way better than they used to be, but I still, at this time, have a little bit of a problem trusting my life to one. I could get into specifics, but that's more typing. Plenty of people have complete trust in them, so I'm definitely not trying to bash them. And Taurus does make a couple Sweet guns.

That aside, if you buy something like that and then change your mind, you still might like it for a range gun. And if you really don't like it, sell it for, what, a $50 loss max? Not too big a deal for having been able to try new things and have some fun with it.

On another note, the actual CC permits are months away, so if you're not quite sure what you are looking for or what size you want, etc, I wouldn't be in a big rush.

Motofixxer

Welcome aboard,
If there are certain models that your looking for, I would suggest using the search, you may find some discussion on that brand or model. I would also encourage you to visit the links below in my Signature to learn more information about carrying in WI.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Welcome Aboard!

I hope you join Wisconsin Carry! As for a concealed carry gun there are many to choose from. Individual choices are made based on many things.

I can tell you it took me quite a while to finally find what I think is the perfect concealed carry gun for me and that is my Glock 36 in .45ACP. I also like the Glock 30 in .45ACP and think it is great too. I prefer a .45 for concealed carry and also open carry with the same firearm. I have carried (concealed) during my life a Sig P226 in 9mm (big gun but extremely accurate and reliable), a Rossi .357 magnum revolver (971 I think), a Taurus CIA revolver in .38 Special, a Springfield XD 9mm with 3 inch barrel (too thick in my opinion) and a Bond Arms Deringer in .45Colt/.410 shotshell.

I finally ended up carrying my Glock 36 and have been since 2003...both openly and concealed (where legal of course).

Once again welcome and I hope you post often!

Wolf1477

Wow, how many times can Glock be mentioned in a thread? Starting to feel like I'm trapped in a NutNFancy nightmare.

I carry a Taurus every day, have well over 2k rounds through it without a single FTE/FTF. You'll discover that most people who like to trash talk Taurus, or any other brand for that matter, (and not saying it's happening here) have never held/owned/shot one of 'em.

It's all about comfort, find what suits *you* best. Handle a few different brands/models, try to find a range that will let you rent different firearms. Do your own research, every brand out there has people just waiting in the wings to trash 'em. www.taurusarmed.net is a good starting place to learn the good/bad/ugly on Taurus.

The site is not sponsored by Taurus, just a place for Taurus owners to hang out. And yes, there is a Complaint section for you to read through with peoples' real experiences with Customer Service...most of which I dare say are fairly positive.

It's kind of funny. If a higher priced firearm (Kimber, Les Baer, Glock, S&W, etc) have feed issues they're "picky" or "finicky", if a lower priced firearm has the exact same problem they're "sh*t". Truth is: most firearms manufacturers will have problems occasionally. I'll stick to my Taurus(es?) with the lifetime warranty and free shipping to Miami and back home for the first year if needed.

Take my opinion for what it's worth...exactly what you paid me for it. Then again, I also enjoy Savage, Remington, and HiPoint, I don't care what a firearm costs as long as it works well and I have fun shooting it.

jpm84092

Among my collection, I have a Taurus Millennium PRO in .45 CP and another in 9mm. The .45 had failure to feed issues that were traced to a bad magazine and Taurus replaced it no questions asked.

In wheel guns I have a Taurus 605 (concealed hammer version) and a pair of .44 Magnum; one with 4-inch barrrel and the other with 6 -3/4 inch barrel. (They are beasts.)

I now carry a Springfield XD-9 for daily carry.

AaronS

My Taurus PT-92 (9mm) is about 22 years old now.
Must have over 5000 rounds in it. It has never had any issues at all. It works 100%.
Hell I still have, and use, the same mag that it came with 22 years ago!

Got a Kimber a few years ago, and had to polish the feed ramp to get it to work good for me. My guns have to work 100% or I will not own it for very long, and I would never carry it.
The Taurus at 1/4 of the price was a good deal if you ask me.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I also have a couple Taurus guns that I have found to be completely reliable even after a copule thousand rounds. I also have a Springfield XD45 that was my first gun and I always recommend it to anyone looking for a first gun.

HandyHamlet

Doing your homework and asking questions is good. If you could rent a few to see what "fits" at a range, that would be better. Welcome aboard.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

If you plan on buying new, Taurus offers a Lifetime Waranty... All you ever pay is shipping (to Florida and back) and whatever is worng with the firearm is fixed @ no charge.

I have a Taurus Judge that had a problem with firing the .410 shotgun shells... Turns out, the dealer that sold me the pistol also sold me the wrong ammo... actual .410 "Handgun" ammo should be used. The regular .410ammo the dealer sugessted was "Shotgun" ammo and SOME shells had a larger diameter than others (in the same box) which is what caused the problem. Sent in back..fixed.. no problrms now....

If the Taurus "reputation" (even if not true) bothers you, check out Springfield XD's, Glocks, Colt, Ruger, Sig... etc. etc. etc... All excellent quality firearms...

As stated, the most important factor should be your comfort level in holding, handling, and firing the firearm...

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Nothing Wrong With Taurus's Firearms....Or Warranty. But they are impersonal.

I have several Taurus handguns and even a Taurus rifle. I have one revolver that failed to work properly and had to go to Taurus in Florida. The cost to ship it TO Taurus is on the owner and it is not cheap. The law requires next day shipping which costs around $50. I was less than thrilled with Taurus's turn around time and less than thrilled with what the problem with my revolver was. It took two months to get my revolver back and Taurus never sent a single piece of paper with it to describe what the problem was.

With that said all the other Taurus firearms I own have worked flawlessly and I regard them highly. My favorite Taurus is now the Millenium Pro 24/7 in .45 ACP. 12 rounds + 1 of .45 ACP in a rather small package. This handgun is truly worthy and is very affordable. If I were proficient with it I would probably carry it instead of my Glock 36 since the Taurus carries twice as much .45 ACP ammo and is about the same size as my Glock.

Comfort and proficiency are my two concerns with what I carry.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Never owned a Taurus, unless it had four wheels. So I can't offer any personal experience with them. But guns of any brand or cost can malfunction. Rugers are notoriously reliable, but I had one once that wasn't. I also have one that has functioned flawlessly for years. My Glock 35 has around 20,000 rounds through it and has been 100% flawless in function. Kel-tec guns, at least the P3ATs, have a reputation for being unreliable, yet mine has never malfunctioned.

It's more of an individual characteristic of each gun, rather than the make and model, I believe. Any gun you carry for defense ought to be shot A LOT prior to entrusting your life to it. Same goes for magazines. I label mine so I can identify any that presents a problem.

ssmits

welcome I have a Taurus 24/7pro 9mm holds 17+1 and Taurus 856 38spl holds 6 and both work graet .I OC ether of them and will CC them to.I think you need to have more then gust 1 or 2 or 3 or -----

hermannr

Never shot a Taurus, my wheel gun is a 90 year old Colt, and my auto's are CZ's, but I will say, purchase what fits your hands...handle, preferably shoot, before you purchase.

I think fit is very important to shooting a gun properly.

Example: A friend owned a Ruger 41 mag. I shot it once (one round) and handed it back...and didn't hit what I was shooting at...it just did not fit my hand.

I also shot a S&W 29, 4", in .44 Mag, 5 in the X ring first time out. That pistol fit perfectly. That is why I say check your fit first.

M-Taliesin

Leo with a Taurus?

Howdy Amigo!
I ain't sure of the astrological implications of me (a Leo) owning a Taurus, but I surely do love my Judge. I run both .410 and 45 long Colt through that revolver and enjoy shooting the gun. However, due to it having a large size, I don't see it as a carry weapon, unless I choose to carry it openly. Concealment would be an issue with that particular pistol.

Like so many others in this thread, I have a Springfield Armory pistol for conceal, but don't have a permit yet. On my list of things to do. So I open carry my XDm .40 everywhere I go in Colorado. It is a terrific weapon and fun to fire at the range. Being a compact, it is a good gun for conceal carry. I also have a full size Ruger P94, and it is a great gun too. The accuracy at 5 yards and 7 yards is hard to beat.

But when it comes to a carry weapon, my choice is the SA XDm .40 and what I wear every day.

I'm pretty impressed with the Beretta Px4 Storm subcompact I bought for my wife, and it is a great gun too.

Somebody suggested going to a range where they have a variety of pistols to rent and try different guns to see what works best for you. However, the Taurus is a great gun and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Good luck on your decision,
Happy shooting.
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Mr. GUNderson

Thanks for all the input!

You guys are awsum! After all the input I decided on the 24/7 pro C. This guns a real treat to shoot and the price wasn't all that bad either. 13+1 and another 17 rounder really make the differance! Tons-o-fun and reletively cheap to boot. Having a lil trouble making it fit tho, IWB is out of the question as this is a thicker firearm. Anybody have any input on where I could find a good form fitted holster for this bad boy? I figure once I get my permit I'll be mainly OC'n and coverin up on good days, but I've looked everywhere and it's been a real PITA trying to find one...any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys! And once again, thx for all the input!

baldp8

I've got two holsters for my 1911 Micro Compact and a belt (and another belt on order) from this guy. The holsters are very, very nice. The 24/7 is on his gun list.

I also have a Taurus TCP 738 and have had no real issues with it after break in. It runs as reliably as any other gun I have if I do my part. From what I hear on the Taurus forums, most people have positive experiences with their customer service if they need it. For me, I called and told them one of my magazines was bad and they sent me a new one, no questions asked and no charge.

http://www.ubgholsters.com/

Last edited: