Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Fargo open carry dinner?

  1. #1
    Regular Member xmanhockey7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    1,490

    Fargo open carry dinner?

    Hey guys was wondering if anyone in Fargo would be interested in doing an open carry dinner. I've never OC in ND but I open carry all the time in Michigan and they seem to have OC dinners frequently. If you're interested reply to this thread and maybe we can get an OC dinner going.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

    ...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

    Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    Hey guys was wondering if anyone in Fargo would be interested in doing an open carry dinner. I've never OC in ND but I open carry all the time in Michigan and they seem to have OC dinners frequently. If you're interested reply to this thread and maybe we can get an OC dinner going.
    The problem you are going to find is that North Dakota's carry law is worthless. It has more places off-limits than most other states.

    Most restaurants in Fargo serve beer and alcohol.... making them no carry zones.

  3. #3
    Regular Member xmanhockey7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    The problem you are going to find is that North Dakota's carry law is worthless. It has more places off-limits than most other states.

    Most restaurants in Fargo serve beer and alcohol.... making them no carry zones.
    Could do it at a place like Five Guys or possibly Chinese restaurant. I'm sure I could find a place that doesn't. I don't have a Michigan CPL so I can't carry in any place with any liquor license but I still am able to carry in some restaurants..
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

    ...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

    Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    Could do it at a place like Five Guys or possibly Chinese restaurant. I'm sure I could find a place that doesn't. I don't have a Michigan CPL so I can't carry in any place with any liquor license but I still am able to carry in some restaurants..
    If you don't have a MI CPL, I recommend you get a Maine license. It's 60 dollars, done through the mail, no fingerprints required and you only have to be 18 years of age.

    Once you have a ME CFP (Concealed Firearm Permit), you are exempt from the firearm free zones listed in MCL 750.234(d) since you have a license to carry 'from this state or another state'.

  5. #5
    Regular Member xmanhockey7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    If you don't have a MI CPL, I recommend you get a Maine license. It's 60 dollars, done through the mail, no fingerprints required and you only have to be 18 years of age.

    Once you have a ME CFP (Concealed Firearm Permit), you are exempt from the firearm free zones listed in MCL 750.234(d) since you have a license to carry 'from this state or another state'.
    Actually I do have my Maine permit and just got my North Dakota non-resident, however, those permits are not valid in Michigan because 1)Michigan does not recognize any non-resident permits and 2)even if I had resident permit the fact I was living there makes it not valid. Now if I were to move to Indiana, get their resident permit and traveled to Michigan to visit family then I could carry concealed or openly in Michigan (by openly I mean in the firearm free zones).

    EDIT: You may actually be right! The only resident permit requirement I see is in regards to carrying a concealed pistol. So I still couldn't carry in a car but it seems to me I might actually be exempt from those places with my Maine and North Dakota permit. But I need to do more research on this. Idk how no one else has told me this!
    Last edited by xmanhockey7; 06-30-2011 at 10:42 PM.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

    ...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

    Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    But I need to do more research on this. Idk how no one else has told me this!
    Because I have been the only person saying this. This is why I warned people not to use "Pistol Free Zones" and "Firearm Free Zones" regarding Michigan law.

    I remember a while ago, someone told me "methinks you are confusing people" when I was trying to illustrate the difference.

    Some folks can't seem to grasp that they are two different sections of law so they think the rules for one section automatically mirror the exceptions in the other section, and this simply isn't the case.

  7. #7
    Regular Member xmanhockey7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Because I have been the only person saying this. This is why I warned people not to use "Pistol Free Zones" and "Firearm Free Zones" regarding Michigan law.

    I remember a while ago, someone told me "methinks you are confusing people" when I was trying to illustrate the difference.

    Some folks can't seem to grasp that they are two different sections of law so they think the rules for one section automatically mirror the exceptions in the other section, and this simply isn't the case.
    Well the problem is a court saw a very similar statue as applying to non-residents only. Would it be true now that they have made drastic changes to firearms laws? I don't know. I could def see an argument being made that if they wanted that to include MI residents that they would have changed that exemption along with the concealed one.
    Last edited by xmanhockey7; 07-27-2011 at 05:32 PM.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

    ...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

    Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •