• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KY County, City Looking Into Firearm Possession

rescue743

Seen this on LEX 18 and thought it would be worth mentioning.

PADUCAH, Ky. (AP) - A western Kentucky county and city are looking more closely at how the possession of firearms is regulated after a dispute with a man who had to give up his gun before a city commission meeting and who protested signs regulating guns at a park.

Officials in McCracken County and Paducah are reviewing what government entities are allowed to do with regards to firearms in public places.

Excerpt ... See full story at http://www.lex18.com/news/ky-county-city-looking-into-firearm-possession/

CharleyCherokee

I'm more interested in which counties have gotten such exemptions. I love it when government officials are on the record talking out their ass. ;)

langzaiguy

I just emailed KLC about this. Apparently there is a CEO, and various other leadership positions and then there is the governing executive board on which Mayor Paxton resides. I emailed "Temple Juett" who is the "Chief Operating Officer" as well as "General Counsel" in the legal department. I also emailed Mayor Juett.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
this guy is something isnt he? I have also emailed him, along with the county judge of the county about their ordinance on carry in parks. As for the story, I read it in my local paper the Ashland Daily Independent, and they got it from paducah times i believe. I am so fed up with them advising the public of incorrect information when it comes to firearms. I wrote an opinion piece to the independent almost 3 weeks ago about what they wrote on carry in bars, restaurants, and government buildings, "basically said it isnt allowed in any", and they have yet to print it. So im writing again to fix their lack of ivestigating a story they print, and let everyone know how upset I am with our media in this state. I am also sending a letter to the paducah times on their error. Maybe if enough of us let them know of their errors, and that they will always hear from the 2A folks when they misinform the public on firearm laws, that they will be a little more cautious. Charley do you like how they neglected to say that you was denied the first time of carrying, but the next time you carried anyways??? I just love the media!!

KYGlockster

Activist Member
My e-mail to the mayor...

Mr. Mayor,

I am writing to inform you of certain krs that will prohibit you from banning firearms at commission meetings. Although concealed firearms are already banned at such meetings under KRS 237.110, and KRS 237.115 gives a city or county the right to ban concealed weapons in city or county owned buildings, that is the extent of your rights as a city in the great Commonwealth of Kentucky. I would like to point out KRS 65.870, which is a pre-emption law that bans cities or counties from establishing any firearm laws other than what state law says. Our state constitution gives the general assembly the right to ban only concealed firearms, not openly carried firearms. Openly carried firearms are allowed in all government buildings, except "courthouses housing only the court of justice, detention facilities, k-12 schools, and federal buildings." Citizens can walk right in the chambers at our State capitol with an openly carried firearm, and be well within his rights. A representative in our state sponsored a bill to make this activity illegal, and it failed miserably. Most of our legislators have respect for our constitution in this great state, which happens to have the highest firearm ownership rate in the country. If your city passed an ordinance banning openly carried firearms at these meetings, and tried to enforce it, it will be deprivation of rights, and official misconduct, and will cost the city a great deal of money, like has happend in the past.

rescue743

Love the support

I love seeing the support of my fellow CCers and OCers. By the way I did contact LEX 18 last night after seeing this and informed them their information was wrong.

Gunslinger

CharleyCherokee is famous! Here is a link to the story.

http://www.lex18.com/news/ky-county-city-looking-into-firearm-possession/

If Mayor Paxton is the President of the Ky. League of Cities he should know the law better.

I sent the following email to Mayor Paxton, others of you may want to sent him your thoughts on this subject.

Mayor Paxton:

I just read a news article on LEX18.com concerning some comments you are reported to have made about a Paducah resident, Charley Pulley, and firearms possession. This news report claimed you were the president of the Ky League of Cities. How can you be so ignorant of state law? KRS 65.870 says:

65.870 Local firearms control ordinances prohibited.
No city, county or urban-county government may occupy any part of the field of regulation of the transfer, ownership, possession, carrying or transportation of firearms, ammunition, or components of firearms or combination thereof.

This has been the law in Ky, for almost thirty years. The prohibition on carrying a gun in city buildings only applies to concealed weapons and only then in very specific situations. You Sir are an ignorant fool and worse than that, your ignorance has been displayed for everyone to see on LEX18.com and everywhere on the internet. You have been outwitted by a citizen with no government experience.

Mayor Paxton's email address is

bpaxton@ci.paducah.ky.us <bpaxton@ci.paducah.ky.us>

I am also sending an email to the KY. League of Cities and asking how their President of the Executive Board, Mayor Paxton's actual title, can be so ill informed about Ky. law. It is part of their job to inform city officials on legal issues.
There is a email form at this website for that purpose.

http://www.klc.org/emailform.asp

The click on "KLC Staff", in the menu in the upper left. Then click the email icon next to "Temple Juett's" name. Join the fun if you like.

Great letter! What part of full preemption doesn't the dick understand? He felt intimidated by the gun. Maybe they need a mayor with a set of balls.

Undertaker

KYGlockster

Just read your threads. I too have written several letters to the Independent regarding gun control. Probably a dozen since the signs first went up here in Central Park prohibiting firearms (they have since been changed). The reason our letters don't get published is due to the fact that John Cannon, editorial page editor, in my opinion, dosen't seem to believe we have a just cause that needs to be in print.

aadvark

To ALL Whom it May Concern:

A Newspaper Article Read The Following Statement, made by City Manager Jeff Pederson:

'City Manager Jeff Pederson said Counties CAN Restrict BOTH Concealed AND Open Guns but Cities do not have The Same Authority.'

I Contend that City Manager Jeff Pederson Learn Kentucky Revised Statute 65.870.

Since when can a County Restrict Open Carry on Non-Prohibited County Property in The Common-Wealth of Kentucky?

aadvark

*** The Article in Reference to This Post is Located here: http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/Local-leaders-want-change-to-gun-laws-124626054.html ***

Last edited:

UnfetteredMight

Yeah good luck with that Mayor Paxton. A bill to stop carry in the STATE capital fails miserably, but theyre gonna let you do it. Idiot.

You folks out there need to vote this guy out next election.

UnfetteredMight

Well, I had to send an email to City Manager, Pederson tonight.

His email address is jpederson@ci.paducah.ky.us <jpederson@ci.paducah.ky.us> if you care to express your outrage at the ignorance of Paducah city officials.

Here is what I sent.

Mr. Pederson:

I read your comments about guns in city buildings on WPSD today. The news report can be seen here.

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/Local-leaders-want-change-to-gun-laws-124626054.html

Mayor Paxton was reported to have made some comments on the same subject in an AP story posted by LEX.com last week. That story can be seen here

http://www.lex18.com/news/ky-county-city-looking-into-firearm-possession/

How can two city officials be so ignorant of state laws that concern the operation of a city?

KRS 65.870 says

No city, county or urban-county government may occupy any part of the field of regulation of the transfer, ownership, possession, carrying or transportation of firearms, ammunition, or components of firearms or combination thereof.
Effective: July 13, 1984
History: Created 1984 Ky. Acts ch. 42, sec. 1, effective July 13, 1984.

As you can see cities and counties are treated exactly the same, contrary to your statements. You can also see that this statute has been in effect for 25 years. That should be long enough for all city officials to have become familiar with it. You were correct that KRS 237.115 allows restriction on concealed weapons, but really struck out on openly carried firearms. Do you plan on disciplining your Police Chief for violating this statute? Why does an ordinary citizen know more about laws governing how a city should be run than three high ranking city officials? Do you plan on thumbing your nose at the statutes passed by the General Assembly now that you have had that statute explained to you? I believe Mr. Pulley has grounds for a Federal Civil Rights violation lawsuit under 42 USC 1983. I also think you are wasting your time by lobbying the General Assembly for a law on open carry. That would require amending the Ky.Constitution, another document you seem to know nothing about.

Well articulated and an amusing read when thinking about his reaction to it. I wonder if this guy has ever had his authority questioned on such sound legal footing, on something that he obviously feels so strongly about? Probably not

KYGlockster

Activist Member
pederson, I have been deeply troubled by a certain comment that you have made in a news report. *I am so concerned with this lack of understanding of ky krs 65.870 that I have contacted several state representatives on the issue to get some reassuring support, and to inform them of the rights that you and your elected leaders are trying to deny Kentucky residents. *Counties and cities both cannot regulate openly carried firearms at meetings of local governing bodies. *Bottom line, only concealed firearms are not allowed under krs237.110. *Krs237.115 gives your city the right to prohibit concealed firearms, and that is the extent of your ability to regulate firearms. *If you do not want to listen at the correct information myself and several others have given you, I suggest you have your mayor request an attorney general opinion, even though there is several already touching somewhat on this topic, you could request he issue an opinion just on openly carried firearms and commission meetings, and then you will know we are correct. But, of course, if you would just do a little research into krs, it is very well written, and extremely easy to comprehend.

Email to the lovely city manager, I am extremely disappointed in this place.

rescue743

Contacted LEX 18

I have contacted LEX to do a follow up on the original story. They said that it would have to be tomorrow before the producers looked into it, but I figured with support we could get them to do a follow up story. Email your support to News Tips: news@lex18.com. I referenced this web site as to show that there is a lot of support and ordinary people that know more than your average LEO's

rescue743

Email to LEX 18

I have contacted the news tip line by phone about a story that you had recieved from AP titled "KY County, City Looking Into Firearm Possession". If you would like to see emails that have been sent to Mayor Paxton and City Manager Jeff Pederson they can be viewed by clicking the following link. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ity-Looking-Into-Firearm-Possession&p=1567459. City Manager Pederson was quoted in a news story on http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/Local-leaders-want-change-to-gun-laws-124626054.html saying that "Counties CAN Restrict BOTH Concealed AND Open (carried) Guns but Cities do not have The Same Authority" which is completly false. Under KRS 65.870 "No city, county or urban-county government may occupy any part of the field of regulation of the transfer, ownership, possession, carrying or transportation of firearms, ammunition, or components of firearms or combination thereof."
Effective: July 13, 1984
History: Created 1984 Ky. Acts ch. 42, sec. 1, effective July 13, 1984.
I thought this would be interesting to see and would like to see support on this due to the fact that we have officials that really do not know the Kentucky Gun Laws. Please consider this as a news story.

Thank you,

rescue743

Not Interested

I was contacted the other day from a reporter that works for LEX 18 asking if I knew of anything to do a story on. I reminded her of this she said "I saw that, but deleted it. I dont think they were interested but I appreciate your tips." How does that make anyone else feel? They first came out with the report and now will not do a follow up story on how regular people know more about the laws then your local LEOs.

garyh9900

My e-mail to the mayor...

Mr. Mayor,

I am writing to inform you of certain krs that will prohibit you from banning firearms at commission meetings. Although concealed firearms are already banned at such meetings under KRS 237.110, and KRS 237.115 gives a city or county the right to ban concealed weapons in city or county owned buildings, that is the extent of your rights as a city in the great Commonwealth of Kentucky. I would like to point out KRS 65.870, which is a pre-emption law that bans cities or counties from establishing any firearm laws other than what state law says. Our state constitution gives the general assembly the right to ban only concealed firearms, not openly carried firearms. Openly carried firearms are allowed in all government buildings, except "courthouses housing only the court of justice, detention facilities, k-12 schools, and federal buildings." Citizens can walk right in the chambers at our State capitol with an openly carried firearm, and be well within his rights. A representative in our state sponsored a bill to make this activity illegal, and it failed miserably. Most of our legislators have respect for our constitution in this great state, which happens to have the highest firearm ownership rate in the country. If your city passed an ordinance banning openly carried firearms at these meetings, and tried to enforce it, it will be deprivation of rights, and official misconduct, and will cost the city a great deal of money, like has happend in the past.
I can find no law in the entire KRS that says you can't open carry in a court of justice. I actually found this thread when looking to see if there was one. Anybody have any info on this?