• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Coming to Virginia State Forests July 7th

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
In addition to the new gun laws which take effect in Virginia on July 1st, there is an important administrative code change that will take effect on July 7th. The change, published in Volume 27 Issue 20 of the Virginia Register of Regulations, modifies 4VAC10-30-170 to remove the prohibition against both open and concealed carry on land under the ownership and management of the Department of Forestry.

One interesting aspect of the change is the fact that ...

Excerpt ... Read more at http://monachuslex.com/?p=69

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Good article! My favorite part: "However, due to an outpouring of public comments which the Department of Forestry characterized as “overwhelming“, the proposed rule was redrafted to also remove the prohibition on open carry."

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Kudos to VCDL for leading the fight on yet another issue, and seeing their agenda through to sucess. A resounding "Thank You" to all who submitted comments to the Department of Forestry.

We have esentially unfettered carry in State Parks and State Forests. Now, let's see what we can do with WMAs.

stay safe.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Kudos to VCDL for leading the fight on yet another issue, and seeing their agenda through to sucess. A resounding "Thank You" to all who submitted comments to the Department of Forestry.

We have esentially unfettered carry in State Parks and State Forests. Now, let's see what we can do with WMAs.

stay safe.

And National Forest.

TFred

Is anybody keeping an updated chart or table on-line for reference?

Listing each of the many kinds of public lands and the policy for each.

Ha, would be neat if it was traffic light colored... turning more green with every victory!

TFred

altajava

Have their been any talks about OC on DGIF lands? Too many state agencies if you ask me.

ETA:
There is a state forest in Gainsville on 29 just north of 66. Looks like a good spot for a picnic after the 7th.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You certainly have your connections, Peter!

I never believed in conspiracies Philip, because when I was with the state I discovered someone always gossips:lol:

Good luck! This has been a pet project for years and I have had zero results... and I'm stretched too thin right now to chop down anymore beanstalks.

hunter45

I saw a game warden for the first time ever today! I was so excited to finally see one haha. I know they are "VA Conservation Police Officers", but they introduced themselves at "game wardens". Two of them were standing at the boat launch when I came in and were checking to make sure we had enough life jackets. I wasn't carrying at the time, I just wanted to say that I finally saw a game warden. :p

And I should add that they were very friendly. We chatted for about half an hour or so. They carry Glock 23s.

Last edited: