Thread: How to Write a No-Guns Policy for Colleges/Universities - per The Bradys playbook

North Chesterfield VA

How to Write a No-Guns Policy for Colleges/Universities - per The Bradys playbook

June 26, 2011

Colleges Get Advice on Crafting Weapons Policies That Will Hold Up in Court
    By Josh Keller

When seeking to restrict people from carrying guns on campus, colleges should carefully explain their motivations and should avoid absolute bans that could face trouble in court, a panel of experts advised on Sunday during a gathering of university lawyers here.....

Patrick O'Rourke, a senior managing counsel at the University of Colorado, implored colleges to carefully write gun restrictions to improve the chances that judges will consider the uniqueness of a college environment. When he recently defended his institution's gun ban in front of the Colorado Supreme Court, Mr. O'Rourke said, one scowling judge asked a pertinent question: "Well, what makes you so special?"

"That's really the first thing I think you need to think about when you're talking about a weapons policy, which is, Why are you going to have one? Why is this environment that you have unique?" Mr. O'Rourke said.

In particular, he said, colleges could explain that their campuses have heated discussions as a natural part of teaching, or that they house 18- to 24-year-olds who are prone to make poor choices with alcohol. He pointed to potential resources provided by the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators and the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.
    So - colleges and universities are unique. Just like every other place. Yes, SCOTUS kind of said they are more unique than other places, but there is a limit on just how far that is going to fly.

And if that does not work, let's see if we can slip a straw man argument past everybody. (Straw Man: Challenger attacks a weaker argument rather than the original statement or position which is harder to argue against. In this case "18-24-year-olds who are prone to make poor choices with alcohol." While there may be some correlation, it is not quid pro quo.

At least they are willing to put their strategy out there. Maybe SCOTUS will sit up and take notice of just how weak the "sensitive places such as schools and government buildings" concept was once these folks show how far they are willing to pervert the notion.

stay safe.
    Last edited by skidmark; 06-27-2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typos

Inland Empire, CA
    Did Brady get shot in the head because it appears that part of his brain is missing.

Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Yet once again, the anti-gun media gets it wrong. The SCOTUS did not

leave open a critical exception for restrictions that apply to "sensitive places such as schools and government buildings."
    The court specifically stated in the opinion that they did not address the "presumptively lawful regulatory measures*".

The restrictions have not been evaluated at this level, there is simply no way to say one way or the other how a ruling would go.

* That's straight from the Heller decision.

Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyDeath View Post
    Did Brady get shot in the head because it appears that part of his brain is missing.
    What a horrible thing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyDeath View Post
    Yes, he did. No, it is not his statement, it is his wife's organization. He is not capable of participating. He received too much brain damage.

That was a really stupid post.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    I knew one guy, former Ranger, who said "to hell with that crap" and CC'd on campus any way. He violated no local or state laws; just school policy. Wouldn't have gone that route back then, but ever since Virginia Tech...

Which, by the way, is my alma mater, so that fiasco hit a little closer to home than it did for most folks.

I'm appalled that schools are taking advice from lawyers. They should be conducting their own research into the FBI crime stats and other databases and coming up with reasonable, rational, and logical conclusions as to their best course of action!
    Last edited by since9; 07-02-2011 at 01:21 AM.
    The 1st protects the 2nd, and the 2nd protects the 1st. GET THIS OR LOSE IT ALLl: 27-2=0. Our 2A is THE bellwether, and ain't none finer: Islamic Reality. Our Founding Fathers on Church and State. PC=ZERO.