Thread: new here...what the police in pleasant hill think of OC!

new here...what the police in pleasant hill think of OC!

First off i have been reading for about 4 months now and just joined today. I have been open carring for about 3 months around warsaw and the KC and metro area. I was confused about the local laws for oc in pleasant hill mo, where i live. It is against city ordanances of Harrisonville to oc so i wanted to make sure that it is legal in pleasant hill sense we are next door. So i went to the police station today to clear it all up. I talked to an officer who pulled up in the parking lot about what the local law was on open carry. He said "Open carry is legal and we follow state law. But if we get calls we will come check it out and our weapons will be unholstered and pointed at you." as he chuckles. So i said thanks for the info and went on my way. needless to say i was not carring while talking to him or i would be writing a differnt story.

So what should i do if this were to happen. I understand i should not touch the gun and do what officers say but other than that what should i keep in mind. Thanks for the suggestions.

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by high angle120 View Post
    He said "Open carry is legal and we follow state law. But if we get calls we will come check it out and our weapons will be unholstered and pointed at you." as he chuckles.

So what should i do if this were to happen. I understand i should not touch the gun and do what officers say but other than that what should i keep in mind. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Call a lawyer and SUE.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

whats what i was thinking. i just dont understand why they would say that to me while i was being respectful. i live in a small community and dont want that kind of attention. i have never been stoped or confronted about oc ing in pleasant hill and carry everywhere i go but also have never walked infront of lawenforcment. YET.

Accomplished Advocate
    i just dont understand why they would say that to me while i was being respectful.
    Well, it is not really complex at all. When your child wants to do something that is legal but you do not approve a common method to prevent the child from doing the activity beyond just saying no is to remove the motivation from the child with an explanation of undesired consequences for the action.

Since it would be wrong to say you would be arrested since they can not do that for something that is not illegal, saying you might look at the loud end of a glock might remove your motivation thereby making it a moot point.

Officers have very specific rules they must follow in order to pull the service pistol from the holster, stating they will disregard those rules specifically to intimidate and demotivate are subversive signs of elitism that is often found within law enforcement.

Somewhere back in the past, sight of citizens limiting the actions of law enforcement was lost and now it is pretty much a given that a vast majority of law enforcement tend to believe it is they whom limit the activities of the citizens.

There are some really great cops out there, but they are indeed getting harder to find as this shift in thinking has spread across all forms of government.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

Regular Member sohighlyunlikely's Avatar
    whats what i was thinking. i just dont understand why they would say that to me while i was being respectful. i live in a small community and dont want that kind of attention. i have never been stoped or confronted about oc ing in pleasant hill and carry everywhere i go but also have never walked infront of lawenforcment. YET.
    Intimidation is a tactic by some in the LEO community. How common is anyones guess. Most the time it is an exaggeration or a bluff but I would suggest taking precautions in having your own ability to gather real time conversations should you have a need to show this. If under handed tactics were used against you.

Doc

i strongly agree about the lack of good cops. growing up i knew a few who would come out to our car hang outs on friday nights. usaully we were told to leave but there were a few who would come and hang out there look at the cars and shot the **** with us. i wish it were the same.

don't ask a cop. read up on the city ordinances themselves.
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.

He said "Open carry is legal and we follow state law. But if we get calls we will come check it out and our weapons will be unholstered and pointed at you." as he chuckles. So i said thanks for the info and went on my way. needless to say i was not carring while talking to him or i would be writing a differnt story.
    "That's interesting. Your supervisor and I may need to have a little chat about you. What's your name again??

I lived in Pleasant Hill for about 10 years back in the 80's. My parents moved there and are now buried there. I have a sister still living there. I don't go there often but when I do I always stop at McDonals and eat open carrying. So far so good...

First off i have been reading for about 4 months now and just joined today. I have been open carring for about 3 months around warsaw and the KC and metro area. I was confused about the local laws for oc in pleasant hill mo, where i live. It is against city ordanances of Harrisonville to oc so i wanted to make sure that it is legal in pleasant hill sense we are next door. So i went to the police station today to clear it all up. I talked to an officer who pulled up in the parking lot about what the local law was on open carry. He said "Open carry is legal and we follow state law. But if we get calls we will come check it out and our weapons will be unholstered and pointed at you." as he chuckles. So i said thanks for the info and went on my way. needless to say i was not carring while talking to him or i would be writing a differnt story.

Looks like I need to go ask the same question and see what they say...

Ask them what their RAS is. Then ask them if they know what 42 USC 1983 is. Then ask them what kind of car they drive as it will soon belong to you.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

What a friendly feller!

I bet I know exactly who you talked to. I was back in P-Hill a while back and visiting with a guy I grew up with there who in now on the Police force. Sounds just like him. In fact, I brought up the question of what PH gun laws are while sitting and sipping whisky in his kitchen and his response was almost exactly the same as what you were told. As you said, it's still a small town. People are suspicious of strangers and newcomers. Unfortunately the small size has mad the town a target of crime from outsiders -- drive by bank robberies, store robberies, etc. and the meth problem is finally getting under control.
    I doubt seriously that he (or the other local Police) would show up and draw on someone without provocation.

i dont know how up to date this is but i got it off municode.com, according to this open carry may not be legal in pleasant hill after all

http://library.municode.com/HTML/146...WE_S28-343CAFI

I would say it is probably NOT legal to OC in Pleasant Hill. Please post links with your opinions
    Last edited by peterarthur; 03-18-2012 at 12:49 PM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

"The problem with Internet quotes is that no one has verified the source" -- Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by peterarthur View Post
    http://library.municode.com/HTML/146...WE_S28-343CAFI

I would say it is probably NOT legal to OC in Pleasant Hill. Please post links with your opinions
    28-343, seems pretty straight forward and OC is restricted.
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.

I have found alot of info on www.municode.com is not up to date.