• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new here...what the police in pleasant hill think of OC!

high angle120

First off i have been reading for about 4 months now and just joined today. I have been open carring for about 3 months around warsaw and the KC and metro area. I was confused about the local laws for oc in pleasant hill mo, where i live. It is against city ordanances of Harrisonville to oc so i wanted to make sure that it is legal in pleasant hill sense we are next door. So i went to the police station today to clear it all up. I talked to an officer who pulled up in the parking lot about what the local law was on open carry. He said "Open carry is legal and we follow state law. But if we get calls we will come check it out and our weapons will be unholstered and pointed at you." as he chuckles. So i said thanks for the info and went on my way. needless to say i was not carring while talking to him or i would be writing a differnt story.

So what should i do if this were to happen. I understand i should not touch the gun and do what officers say but other than that what should i keep in mind. Thanks for the suggestions.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
He said "Open carry is legal and we follow state law. But if we get calls we will come check it out and our weapons will be unholstered and pointed at you." as he chuckles.

So what should i do if this were to happen. I understand i should not touch the gun and do what officers say but other than that what should i keep in mind. Thanks for the suggestions.

Call a lawyer and SUE.

high angle120

whats what i was thinking. i just dont understand why they would say that to me while i was being respectful. i live in a small community and dont want that kind of attention. i have never been stoped or confronted about oc ing in pleasant hill and carry everywhere i go but also have never walked infront of lawenforcment. YET.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
i just dont understand why they would say that to me while i was being respectful.

Well, it is not really complex at all. When your child wants to do something that is legal but you do not approve a common method to prevent the child from doing the activity beyond just saying no is to remove the motivation from the child with an explanation of undesired consequences for the action.

Since it would be wrong to say you would be arrested since they can not do that for something that is not illegal, saying you might look at the loud end of a glock might remove your motivation thereby making it a moot point.

Officers have very specific rules they must follow in order to pull the service pistol from the holster, stating they will disregard those rules specifically to intimidate and demotivate are subversive signs of elitism that is often found within law enforcement.

Somewhere back in the past, sight of citizens limiting the actions of law enforcement was lost and now it is pretty much a given that a vast majority of law enforcement tend to believe it is they whom limit the activities of the citizens.

There are some really great cops out there, but they are indeed getting harder to find as this shift in thinking has spread across all forms of government.

sohighlyunlikely

whats what i was thinking. i just dont understand why they would say that to me while i was being respectful. i live in a small community and dont want that kind of attention. i have never been stoped or confronted about oc ing in pleasant hill and carry everywhere i go but also have never walked infront of lawenforcment. YET.

Intimidation is a tactic by some in the LEO community. How common is anyones guess. Most the time it is an exaggeration or a bluff but I would suggest taking precautions in having your own ability to gather real time conversations should you have a need to show this. If under handed tactics were used against you.

Doc

high angle120

i strongly agree about the lack of good cops. growing up i knew a few who would come out to our car hang outs on friday nights. usaully we were told to leave but there were a few who would come and hang out there look at the cars and shot the **** with us. i wish it were the same.

Fallschirjmäger

He said "Open carry is legal and we follow state law. But if we get calls we will come check it out and our weapons will be unholstered and pointed at you." as he chuckles. So i said thanks for the info and went on my way. needless to say i was not carring while talking to him or i would be writing a differnt story.
"That's interesting. Your supervisor and I may need to have a little chat about you. What's your name again??

Jim40Cal

I lived in Pleasant Hill for about 10 years back in the 80's. My parents moved there and are now buried there. I have a sister still living there. I don't go there often but when I do I always stop at McDonals and eat open carrying. So far so good...

peterarthur

First off i have been reading for about 4 months now and just joined today. I have been open carring for about 3 months around warsaw and the KC and metro area. I was confused about the local laws for oc in pleasant hill mo, where i live. It is against city ordanances of Harrisonville to oc so i wanted to make sure that it is legal in pleasant hill sense we are next door. So i went to the police station today to clear it all up. I talked to an officer who pulled up in the parking lot about what the local law was on open carry. He said "Open carry is legal and we follow state law. But if we get calls we will come check it out and our weapons will be unholstered and pointed at you." as he chuckles. So i said thanks for the info and went on my way. needless to say i was not carring while talking to him or i would be writing a differnt story.

Looks like I need to go ask the same question and see what they say...

Gunslinger

Ask them what their RAS is. Then ask them if they know what 42 USC 1983 is. Then ask them what kind of car they drive as it will soon belong to you.

doctree

I bet I know exactly who you talked to. I was back in P-Hill a while back and visiting with a guy I grew up with there who in now on the Police force. Sounds just like him. In fact, I brought up the question of what PH gun laws are while sitting and sipping whisky in his kitchen and his response was almost exactly the same as what you were told. As you said, it's still a small town. People are suspicious of strangers and newcomers. Unfortunately the small size has mad the town a target of crime from outsiders -- drive by bank robberies, store robberies, etc. and the meth problem is finally getting under control.
I doubt seriously that he (or the other local Police) would show up and draw on someone without provocation.

jimogden

i dont know how up to date this is but i got it off municode.com, according to this open carry may not be legal in pleasant hill after all