• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Troy, MO

repomasterstl

I am coping this from someone else on a different forum.

Troy Board of Alberman are having a Special Meeting to possibilly place into law a ban for Open Carry.

The Meeting is scheduled for 6:00pm at Troy City Hall.

BILL 1157 ORDINANCE 1144

AN ORDINANCE AMENDING THE CITY OF TROY CODE OF ORDINANCES, SECTION 210.250, ARTICLE VI REGARDING WEAPONS – CARRYING CONCEALED – OTHER UNLAWFUL USE.

WHEREAS, the Board of Alderman seeks to protect the citizens of the City of Troy, and

WHEREAS, upon further review the City of Troy Police Department recommends that the City adopt a law to make it unlawful to openly carry a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF TROY, MISSOURI, AS FOLLOWS:

SECTION 1. The City of Troy Code of Ordinances, Title II, Article VI, Section 210.250 is hereby amended by amending 210.250 (B) as follows, by amending 210.250 to insert subsection (B)(6) and renumbering Section 210.250 as necessary:

B. A person commits the offense of unlawful possession or use of weapons if he knowingly:

(6) Openly carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use.

SECTION 2. This Ordinance shall be in full force and effect after its passage and approval, as provided by law.

PASSED AND APPROVED THIS _____ DAY OF __________ 2011.

lincomores

Guess visiting troy is out!

Well, I know that I am.
I was hoping to have a meet in Troy this summer and was expecting to contact Missouri Open Carry to get the word out so that we could have a decent showing.
Since most folks don't know the Municipal Codes, I began digging in to get an understanding.
I asked my Alderman to find out exactly what the laws were to confirm my interpretation and the next thing I know (this all happened within a week) the City Council is meeting tomorrow night with the intent to amend the ordinance and ban open carry.
I am not happy.
The opening of the amendment states that its intent is to protect the citizens of Troy.
By keeping responsible, law-abiding gun owners from legally carrying?
That makes no sense.

mspgunner

If you live there , for sure go and speak your peace. We didn't get anyone from Maplewood to stand up and speak when a group fo us went to address thier ban.

Local voters might help, a lot of local voters may help a lot!
Be polite, make your point and talk about "we won't shop there!"

lincomores

If you live there , for sure go and speak your peace. We didn't get anyone from Maplewood to stand up and speak when a group fo us went to address thier ban.

Local voters might help, a lot of local voters may help a lot!
Be polite, make your point and talk about "we won't shop there!"

Oh, I will be there alright. The problem is that they drafted the amendment today and plan on possibly voting it into law tomorrow night. They are attempting to ram this through without any public discourse on the issue.
Our intent is to get the vote delayed.
We may require someone with a good foundation of understanding about the pros/cons of open carry at a future meeting if we're successful in our delay.
Any volunteers or recommendations?

mspgunner

Most City Council meetings have a "public input session" before the meeting. That maybe your only opportunity. Don't be late and they don't usually answer questions. You speak, they listen, whether they hear you or not is another story. Don't be late, listen to the rules, dress nice and by all means don't yell at 'em.

ThePhotog

I plan on attending and I will video the meeting and post it on YouTube.

"The purpose of government is to enable the people of a nation to live in safety and happiness. Government exists for the interests of the governed, not for the governors." - Thomas Jefferson

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Any volunteers or recommendations?

I have some but your gonna have to work hard and fast.

I have already contacted the ONE person I know in Troy, he will be seeking support from the VFW and American Legion in the area, he is huge pissed.

You need to get with any and all hunting, skeet or other shooting clubs and explain it is happening.

You need to hit every gun shop in town and speak loudly so ALL customers hear as does the owner.

This law affects hunters because hunting does happen within the city limits within Troy, this would cover your brother bringing a rifle to your house but parking in the street and carrying it in to your house while he was in the street and until he crossed the easement, it would effect a gun purchaser who bought a revolver that did not have the case as they carried it to the car etc etc.

The point is unless the firearm is completely concealed whether it is a long gun or a pistol, this law makes it illegal and yes that means to carry your rifle across the street to your buddy to mount a scope on it, you had better put it in a case if this passes.

Now what you can do is rally these folks to make it REAL clear, if you give any serious consideration to passing this bill that only effects the law abiding as the criminals hide their weapons anyway, you will indeed put them out of office and rally whatever support it takes to do so and reverse this affront and violation of your constitutional rights.

They will likely have a cop or two which according to postings are the ones whom recommended this, well just ask the board to question the motivation since I and several others have yet to find a single officer whom has arrested a criminal that was openly carrying a firearm where it was indeed legal because criminals HIDE their guns.

Food for thought, do with it what you will, I can not possible make it there with this short of notice or I would, I visit Troy a bit.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
is what it is and who knows what it shall be

Last edited:

Mo

Banned
I wonder how many people that support this moved there from St. Louis.

Last edited:

Tony4310

I'm not sure where they get the WE ARE PROTECTING OUR CITIZENS thing from. Did the cops feed them a bunch of crap? Get enough people together and challenge the new law in court.

Superlite27

Good meeting you, Photog. Good to see a fellow 2A supporter in my neck of the woods. I know LMTD is around here somewhere as he often posts invites to shoot at Logan near Silex. Good seeing lincomores, as well.

Of course, this does not look good for sohighlyunlikely.

Smart comments about me hailing from Flyspeck U.S.A. are losing traction.

As a matter of fact...there seems to be more support for OC in my neck of the woods than......

....where is it? Over.....something-or-other? (You know..that place with a whole 1 OC'er.)

Heck, there's more folks from Wildwood on here than received their high school diploma from Overland.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Of course, this does not look good for sohighlyunlikely.

I will offer a point of clarification here, Doc gets credit on this one as well as he not only took a phone call late at night to discuss ways in which I could communicate concerns to some citizen I know in Troy to help rally support, he indeed agreed to stay up for my return phone call to try and develop an alternative plan to get folks there with such short notice.

He may have indeed been in the background instead of front and center, but I offer his input was of great value to me and the one who hit the VFW and American legion to rally additional support from 2a activist, not OC regulars, just folks whom see it for what it is, the government sticking its nose in where the constitutions of the country and state specificly limit that.

Since you made the meeting, can you speak to the size of the support? I left work at about 11:15 pm and it would be interesting to know what kind of a call to arms we were able to rally with less than 24 hours. From the feed back I got, pretty much none of the citizenry of Troy was aware of said meeting.

Superlite27

I will offer a point of clarification here, Doc gets credit on this one as well as he not only took a phone call late at night to discuss ways in which I could communicate concerns to some citizen I know in Troy to help rally support, he indeed agreed to stay up for my return phone call to try and develop an alternative plan to get folks there with such short notice.......

...... From the feed back I got, pretty much none of the citizenry of Troy was aware of said meeting.

Doc, did indeed get the word out. The OC threat radar is evidently up and working well. I'm in Troy almost every day and have never encountered a problem, much less heard about any OC items before the city council.

From the feed back I got, pretty much none of the citizenry of Troy was aware of said meeting.

Heck, it seemed like the city council itself was unaware of the OC business....How can the general citizenry stay informed when the council itself wasn't really prepared?

Yet, our kung-fu, karate grip, hardcore 2A supporters were on top of this like a hobo on a balogna sandwich. Great job to those who stayed with it. I refuse to believe that luck played a part in this. I credit it to folks who pay close attention to ANY attempt to erode our rights.