• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time carry in another state

FS23

Traveling to Ohio from Michigan Sunday for a Baptisim. Want to carry and I know the states recipricate but does any one here have any pointers for a Michigan CPL holder visiting ? Does Ohio prohibit CC in a Church without permission as Michigan does ? If so what constitutes locked up and unloaded in a vehicle. I know the Ohio law stating what constitutes unloaded was supposed to have changed recently. Any help would be appreciated. ;)

RT48

Yes, a church is off-limits unless you get permission from church authorities. Since you are licensed, Ohio does not require you to unload your gun while it is stored in your car.

Scooter123

Michigan's and Ohio CPL laws are quite similar, however IIRC in Ohio you cannot carry into a resuarant that serves alcohol. I know that a change to this was in the works but haven't paid any attention to if this change has made it through the Ohio Legislature. One other thing that is concerning to anyone visiting any other state is that the 1000 foot rule pertaining to school zones can only be expempted by the Attourny General in your home state of residence. This means that 1000 foot rule WILL apply in Ohio and since the Ohio Turnpike has several High Schools that immediately border the Turnpike you may be at risk for violating that particular Federal Law. BTW, if your not aware of that rule, I would urge you to read up on it because firearms in ANY state are a violation, even when they totally disassembled into loose parts with no ammo within miles.