• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Important o.c. question.

justin1

First off feel free to move this to where it belongs if its not here. Just had a quick question. I lives in Chico CA. I have called the police dept. To try to find an answer but have had no luck. Apparently o.c. here is frowned upon. So there reluctant to help. My wife bought a handgun recently but isn't a fan of it. I love the thing so we will be transferring it into my name shortly. My question is can I legally o.c. my spouses handgun while we are waiting for the funds for the transfer.. tried my resources. All point towards. there's nothing that says I can't. As long as I can be in posetion of a firearm. Which I can be. Thanks guys. All answers will be apreciated

justin1

note:

Sorry for the typos. Predictive text can be a blessing and a curse. Also if there is already an answer posted for this and nobody feels like explaining. Can you guys point me in the direction of the thread?

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Justin,

Welcome to OCDO. You would have a much better chance of getting an answer if you reposted your question in the California forum. THe folks there are knowledgeable and helpful. You might also find opportunities to meet fellow UOC-ers (sorry, California) through your posting there.

stay safe.

Iopencarry

Justin,
1) yes you can oc your wife's handgun.
2) please read and understand all of the related laws concerning open carry and when and where you can carry.
3) go to the range and practice. then do it again and again

I am not saying you are not thinking this through,( this is for everyone who is thinking about carrying)

This is not a game. It is one of the most important decisions you will ever have to make. Please read and understand everything in the link below
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-This-First-California-Open-Carry-Information

Thanks, Dale

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
First off feel free to move this to where it belongs if its not here. Just had a quick question. I lives in Chico CA. I have called the police dept. To try to find an answer but have had no luck. Apparently o.c. here is frowned upon. So there reluctant to help. My wife bought a handgun recently but isn't a fan of it. I love the thing so we will be transferring it into my name shortly. My question is can I legally o.c. my spouses handgun while we are waiting for the funds for the transfer.. tried my resources. All point towards. there's nothing that says I can't. As long as I can be in posetion of a firearm. Which I can be. Thanks guys. All answers will be apreciated

Welcome to OCDO.

As has been indicated before, the police are not a good resource for legal advice. They will discourage you from this practice using any means at their disposal- including lying. An internet forum isnt much better, unfortunately. If you are determined to obtain sound information, I would recommend seeking out a competent attorney who is familiar with California's firearm law.

If you have not already applied for a license to carry concealed in Butte County, it is my opinion that this should be your next step to carry for self defense.

justin1

Thank you guys for the help. Ill be checking into it soon. Just one other question. What am I required to do if stoped by the police?. I know I'm required to allow an e-check. But what would the best way of going about this encounter. Sorry again if this answer has been posted. New to the forum. Still trying to figure out where everything is. And once again thanks you guys for the help.

justin1

In CA you have to have an h.s.c. . Card. $25 + $20 for the background and transfer. At least this is what the ffl guys said. Recent hit a stretch of bad luck and lost the job. So saving is what ill be limited to while attempting to pay the bills at the same time.

ryanburbridge

In CA you have to have an h.s.c. . Card. $25 + $20 for the background and transfer. At least this is what the ffl guys said. Recent hit a stretch of bad luck and lost the job. So saving is what ill be limited to while attempting to pay the bills at the same time.

Why spend any money on the transfer? It's your wife's gun. You live together and can use the gun all you want. There are a few crime enhancement charges so if you plan on breaking the law it would be smart to do it with your own gun. Otherwise save you money.

If money is very tight I would not recommend UOC at all. If you pick up a case your looking at spending between 5,000-10,000 dollars to defend yourself. I would look into LUCC (poor mans CCW). You will have to after the ban and it will give you a chance to practice.

Just my opinion.

"If squirt guns are outlawed, only outlaw squirts will have guns!"

James Taranto

Decoligny

The FFL is wrong, and is just looking to make his $10.00.

The form I linked to is specifically intended for transfer between direct family members. Spouse to spouse, mother/father to daughter/son, daughter/son to mother/father, grandmother/grandfather to granddaughter/grandson.

If you go through an FFL the charges will be as follows:

$25.00 for the HSC (you will have to pay this either way)
$25.00 DOJ Person to Person Transfer fee
$10.00 FFL Fee
The FFL will also have to take possession of the handgun for the mandatory 10 day waiting period.

So it will end up costing you $60.00, and 10 days without a handgun, i.e. being defenseless.

If you use the linked form, the charges will be as follows:

$25.00 for the HSC
$19.00 for transfering the handgun into your name in the DOJ database.
$0.44 for the stamp to send the form to the DOJ via USPS.

Total Cost $44.44, and you get to keep the handgun in your possession and NOT be defenseless for 10 days.

This is from the California Attorney General's website: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#21

Question: Can I give a firearm to my spouse or registered domestic partner? Can he/she give it back to me later?

Answer: Yes, as long as the person receiving the firearm is not in a prohibited category [PDF 10 kb / 1 pg] and the firearm is not an assault weapon, the transfer of a firearm between a husband and wife or registered domestic partners is exempt from the requirement to use a licensed dealer to perform the transfer. However, if the firearm is a handgun, the recipient must submit an Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction [PDF 481 kb / 2 pg] and $19 fee to the DOJ within 30 days.

(PC sections 12076(f), 12078(i))

Last edited:

justin1

You see I knew this was the place to go for answers. Thank you guys for the information. This has helped so much. Fyi you guys rock.