• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

transfering a gun out of state...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
is it legal for a VA resident to mail the handgun himself

In the most technical sense, the answer to your question is "Yes, it is illegal for him to mail it himself." Federal law says non-FFLs cannot use the USPS to move handguns in inter- or even intrastate commerce. We must ship by next day air because that's the only service FedEx or UPS offers that has the tracking capabilities required by the GCA of 86.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

http://www.fedex.com/us/national/rulestariff/prohibited_articles.html

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?faqid=1118

So the practical answer to your question is that he can ship to the gun to the CT FFL that his father has chosen (presuming dad knows the best/most convenient/least expensive one to use).

stay safe.

Last edited:

nova

Make sure the receiving FFL accepts shipments from non-FFL individuals if you're not sending it out through an FFL.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Make sure the receiving FFL accepts shipments from non-FFL individuals if you're not sending it out through an FFL.

Yep...make sure the receiving FFL knows the law. Not all do.
I had one shipped from Ed Hubel to Ailor guns in Victoria.

That woman's idiot daughter almost sent it back and we had a very unpleasant conversation that resulted in me picking up the gun and them losing a customer they couldn't afford to lose.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Yes, we can!

You can ship it to yourself via common carrier, such as FedEx or UPS. It has to be unloaded (and should not be shipped with ammunition) and shipped in a package that does not say that there's a firearm inside, but you are (in theory) required to tell the people at the shipping office what's in the box. They change their regulations all the time, so check with what they'll take and how they'll take it before you get too involved. Last I heard, FedEx wouldn't accept firearms at all, and UPS would, but you have to fill out extra paperwork. I recommend paying extra for the extended package value liability thing that they use in lieu of insurance.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Why do you say we cannot ship the firearm with ammo in the same package? We can do that when we travel by airplane 0 so long as the firearm is not loaded. (Yes, there is a restriction on how the ammo has to be packaged and iirc about how much we can include.)

Guides/outfitters regularly tell clients to ship firearms and ammo to themselves either at the fuide/outfitter location or the hitel.motel where the client will be staying. They (guides and innkeepers) apparently are familiar with the regs about accepting the package but not allowing anyone but the addressee to open it.

stay safe.

Jay

This is to be interpreted at your own free will what everyone is saying is the correct way to ship a firearm. I will tell you that me personally I have actually shipped a firearm to CT in the past several times.

1. Make sure their FFL will accept from an individual or they may require your FFL to their FFL (never send a handgun directly to an individual out of state). Example: Someone is purchasing a firearm you have sold to them. Most all FFL's that I ship to in CT require a copy of my drivers license to be included in the shipment of the firearm. I also have them email or fax me their FFL and only ship to that address (kind of a CYA thing).

2. Ship via Fedex or UPS I have used both technically you are suppose to ship next day air. However I never have I just do standard ground with a tracking number. I have never told them what I was shipping, and I have never been asked by them either. I do off course ship the firearm unloaded as this I believe to be common sense and the law.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Why do you say we cannot ship the firearm with ammo in the same package? We can do that when we travel by airplane 0 so long as the firearm is not loaded. (Yes, there is a restriction on how the ammo has to be packaged and iirc about how much we can include.)

Guides/outfitters regularly tell clients to ship firearms and ammo to themselves either at the fuide/outfitter location or the hitel.motel where the client will be staying. They (guides and innkeepers) apparently are familiar with the regs about accepting the package but not allowing anyone but the addressee to open it.

stay safe.

Didn't say you can't, I said it'd be best not to. That stuff gets X-rayed on a random basis and you know that some of the people running that equipment will react emotionally if both are in the same box. It is permissible, legally.

swinokur

Activist Member
Here is the Fed Ex policy on firearms. As I read this FED EX will not ship a firearm to a non licensed person.Therefore you cannot ship a firearm to yourself via Fed Ex. As far as declaring the weapon at shipment, I don't think the carrier is obligated to pay for a lost firearm if you did not comply with their rules by not declaring it.

Fed Ex policy on firearms:
  1. FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
    1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
    2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
  2. If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.
  3. Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.
  4. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.
  5. The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
  6. The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
  7. FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
NavyLCDR -

You caught my fat fingers in a typo -- thanks. I should know the year the GCA went on the books. Looked at what I typed many times and never saw the typo.

Also, thanks for a more elegant explanation of the common carrier nexus for the overnight shipping requirement.

stay safe.