• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question Regarding Businesses discriminating against CCW Holders

996twint

How is it that a buisiness is able to tell a customer that they don't want them armed in their store?
If a business isn't able to discriminate against race, I don't understand how they can choose who shops there over CCW or OC.

JeepSeller

Without getting into Civil Rights Acts and such, it's simply that gun owners/carriers are not part of what's considered to be a protected class. Carrying a gun isn't a race, gender, or religion. It's a behavior. Prohibiting us isn't discrimination any more than a "No Shoes No Shirt" sign.

It stinks, we all hate it, but, it's really best. Think about it, do we REALLY want government MAKING a business allow certain behaviors on their own property? THAT'S an awfully slippery slope. You can't allow big government to begin forcing private business owners to allow guns without opening the door to big government FORCING you to allow a Jehovah's Witness into your home....after all, THEIR freedom of religion, expression, and speech is equally protected by our constitution. We cannot just pick and choose which parts of "big government" are convenient for us.

The constitution governs government anyway. It has no authority over private property or business in this regard, and, rightfully so, in as much as it blows at the same time.

Keeping our government small also, by the way, goes a long way to protecting your right to NOT go into that business FWIW.

We hold freedom to a very high regard, and, we regularly lament losses of freedoms around here. Why would you WANT the government to trample on any?

~*'Phoenix'*~

Simple: 50% of americans own guns, if they all say "What? This place disapproves of guns? Forget it, I'm taking my business elsewhere!" And tells that's business owner/manager that they're losing that business for that reason, they'll either change their ways or go out of business while the gun-respecting ones prosper.

Last edited:

JeepSeller

It's really a non-issue in Florida anyway. Those "no firearms" signs are not weighted by law. Meaning, they only serve to inform you of the property owner's wishes.

It's up to you how to react. You can take your business and leave. You can go back to your car and disarm. Or, you can ignore their stupid, meaningless sign and not give the uneducated any power over you, your daily activities, or your freedoms.

ME? I look for them so I'm informed, but, I ignore them completely. I won't let them infringe upon my freedom. I'm not about to turn around, take time out of MY day to go somewhere else. What the morons don't know, won't hurt them. Concealed is concealed.

And, if, for some reason, I get discovered, I'll leave. Simple as that. But, I've broken no laws. (Unless it's a prohibited place by state statute, which I wouldn't do anyway.) .

Only AFTER I'm done with them will I make the choice to boycott. I just won't return. But, as I say, I'm not about to let them bully me into disarming OR finding somewhere else.

If I'm in a particularly foul mood, I will catch the manager on the way out and inform him/her of why they'll never see me again.

Last edited:

77zach

I can't recall ever seeing a no guns sign anywhere in Florida. I saw one in Virginia once at a theater, so I concealed. If we get surprised one day and Fl actually gets OC, we'll probably see a few because the anti-freedom media will have a fit.

Last edited:

We-the-People

...Think about it, do we REALLY want government MAKING a business allow certain behaviors on their own property? THAT'S an awfully slippery slope. You can't allow big government to begin forcing private business owners to allow guns without opening the door to big government FORCING you to allow a Jehovah's Witness into your home....after all, THEIR freedom of religion, expression, and speech is equally protected by our constitution. We cannot just pick and choose which parts of "big government" are convenient for us. ...

It's already too late, we're on the slippery slope and accelerating. Government already dictates TONS of things you can and can not do (or prohibit) in private businesses.

Aside from race, gender, and religious issues, what about all the states that have prohibited smoking in private businesses without regard for the desires of the owners?

If they can prohibit a lawful activity, they can also require allowing a lawful activity.

Now don't get me wrong, I think they need to back the hell off and allow business owners to decide for themselves but since they've gone down that road, why shouldn't we demand our rights to be observed by businesses that are open to the public?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
The Civil Rights Movement has crippled itself. Since a Property Owner is now muzzled, how do you know if you're handing your money to a racist? Not that I care myself, but some people do. How do they know if they're supporting someone they would rather not support?

It's as stupid as the Must Conceal in places that sell Alcohol AND not drink any. How is the server going to know if your weapon is concealed? It's unenforcible.

If we don't let the anti-gunners speak up and identify themselves, how do we know to boycott them?

Bill Engvall. Let them show you their sign.

"Look at me, I'm a bigot and an *******. I want your money, and I say you and your family don't deserve to live. I make no effort to protect you when I prevent you from doing it yourself. Gimmie all your money now! I don't care if you end up dead, just gimmie your damn money!" They're only one baby step away from robbing you themselves...

Why would you want to muzzle that? If they want to proclaim to the world that this is their opinion of their customers, let them! They can lie about it being a 'safety' concern until their face turns blue. The only people who will fall for it deserve what they get. Self-solving problem. Let the morons get killed.

j4l

mmm... Im going to take a swing at the (should be) obvious point here... how it seems to have slipped by the OP and everyone who replied begs a few questions in itself but..

If you're carrying CCW properly in the 1st place, how do they even KNOW if you are armed or not? :rolleyes: Kind of a moot point, no?

~*'Phoenix'*~

They don't know, it's not illegal. I just do everything reasonable to avoid returning to any establishment with those attitudes.

996twint

I CC pretty much everywhere. It was more of a OC question.
Take Disney World for instance. How do you tell your 3 year old you can take him there because you're boycotting it? I just CC anyway. They will never know.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I CC pretty much everywhere. It was more of a OC question.
Take Disney World for instance. How do you tell your 3 year old you can take him there because you're boycotting it? I just CC anyway. They will never know.

This. It reduces me to Kel Tec carry, but it's still better than nothing.

I remember Grad Night... All the 'underprivileged minorities' caused more violence in 8 hours than the park experiences in the rest of the year... Wished I would have been carrying then.