• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Pa Resident needs help with the laws...

mystert85

Hi there, I'm moving from Va to Pittsburgh Pa this friday. I have always been a avid fan of OC even though i do have my CWP. i am still a Va resident just attending school at Pennsylvania Gunsmith School. Can you guys tell me the do's and do not's of open and conceal carry in Pa?

jahwarrior

our laws are close ennough to yours that it should be easy to remember them. plus, your VA license is good here, until you establish residency here, no matter what any douchebag DA from Philly thinks. once you're a resident, though, you'll need to get a PA LTCF.

jahwarrior

You seem to be agreeing with that douchebag DA.... ???

VA license is good even after establishing residency....
i'm not sure about that. PA is one of those states that don't recognize dual residency, or at least makes it very difficult. once my parents received their PA driver's ID, their NY ones become null and void. a non-resident VA license would be good in PA, but i'm not sure a VA resident license would be considered viable for a PA resident, or vice versa.

of course, a VA resident with a FL or UT permit would be fine. again, i'm no lawyer, or even a paralegal. until someone actually posts the statute pertaining to this, and proves me wrong, i'm going to assume i'm correct, because safe is better than sorry.

and to the person who proves me wrong, i owe you a beer the next time you're in my area.

Last edited:

mrjam2jab

i'm not sure about that. PA is one of those states that don't recognize dual residency, or at least makes it very difficult. once my parents received their PA driver's ID, their NY ones become null and void. a non-resident VA license would be good in PA, but i'm not sure a VA resident license would be considered viable for a PA resident, or vice versa.

of course, a VA resident with a FL or UT permit would be fine. again, i'm no lawyer, or even a paralegal. until someone actually posts the statute pertaining to this, and proves me wrong, i'm going to assume i'm correct, because safe is better than sorry.

and to the person who proves me wrong, i owe you a beer the next time you're in my area.

I don't have one...does VA make a distinction between Resident and Non on the permit...other than the address?