• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB93 As it sits on Walker's desk?

paul@paul-fisher.com

I understood him to say that he would sign it shortly after July 4th. Is that a false quote? :confused:

No, I personally heard the interview. All I'm saying is that we shouldn't read stuff into it and assume because it isn't signed yet that there is a problem.

Also, I do believe that, as others have said, that he can't line item veto the bill. It's an all or nothing.

Nascar24Glock

It wasn't a "bonus" in my book. Where I come from that is called a lie. A big fat one too considering how important this bill is to the voters. And him gloating about it on TV is totally gauche. He is supposed to look directly at the camera and say " I had NOTHING to do with the changes to the bill" with a straight face. At least that's how a REAL politician would do it. My hardline opinion.

I guess I would have to hear the exact words of what he said in the campaign. But, from my interpretation of his words, he's not really lying. He said he would SIGN any carry bill that came to his desk. And, from all appearances, he will. However, he simply preferred the bill to have training in it. He probably meant something to this effect: "Yes, I'll sign any bill that comes my way; but, I really want the bill to have training in it." What he would SIGN and what he PREFERS and would actively support are two slightly different things.

Don't get me wrong. I would have preferred for him to actively support a constitutional carry bill myself (since having more constitutional states might convince my legislators down here to support one in 2012 as well). But, I don't think his words merit an accusation of lying. Not telling the entire story, perhaps, but not lying.

BROKENSPROKET

Also, I do believe that, as others have said, that he can't line item veto the bill. It's an all or nothing.

I don't know how it works, but someone said that the Governor can only line-item veto bills that make appropriations and this one does make appropriatins to pay for the program, then when OUR license fees come in, the program is supposed to repay the appropriation. So, IDK know what can happen.

From the cards he as show so far, I could see him line-item veto any number of things.

HandyHamlet

He said he would SIGN any carry bill that came to his desk. And, from all appearances, he will. However, he simply preferred the bill to have training in it. He probably meant something to this effect: "Yes, I'll sign any bill that comes my way; but, I really want the bill to have training in it."

I hear you. And I agree. I'm just taking it one step farther. It is my understanding that he ran on the promise he would sign any bill that came across his desk. @ 3:20 into this video he clearly states he "held out for". So not only did he prefer the bill we got, but he was directly responsible for it. And for going against the wishes of the people who voted for him. And for mucking up the excellent Bill Super Heroine Pam Galloway authored.

So the reality was that he would not sign any bill that came across his desk. He didn't do what he said he would. Hence he lied. My hardliner opinion.

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/124591819.html

And I gotcha Paul. :cool:

In the grand scheme of things it probably isn't that big of a deal. We won a victory, we still have battles to fight. And we still have reason to hang out.