• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Rapid City!

slippp

A little background...I'm from the shittiest gun-law state (Can you guess which? [The only state that does not allow CCW]). I have a CCW permit issued from Florida. I am 22 years old and shoot at local USPSA matches, so I know my way around a pistol for the most part :p

Anyway...

I'm going to be visiting Rapid City in August. I have done a good amount of research for places where you can / can't OC. There are just some things I am unsure of, however... and this is where you guys come in ;)

- Will my age (being younger and all) trouble more businesses / LEOs that I am OC'ing a handgun?
- Are all malls in the Rapid City area weapons-restricted?
- Can I OC while hiking or while at a national park? I know they're government operated so I was a little unsure...
- Any other major thing I should know?

Obviously, I know not to open carry at a bar where major sales are alcohol. I also know not to drink while I OC. I also know not to OC in any government / federal buildings. What else?

Thanks again! I just want to be sure I'm prepared.

slippp

National parks follow state regs-open carry okay,malls-no open carry,most local business are open carry tolerant,
Thanks! What about movie theaters?

Not saying you cant, but I would not open carry at the rally if you go. Just sayin.
What rally?

Also, am I allowed to open carry 1-2 magazines? How do you guys feel about using a SERPA holster for OCing a 1911? I also have a Galco Yaqui slide holster that I was thinking about using..

Thanks for the responses!

Last edited:

XDSTEEL

hey

Slipp- you should be fine at movie theaters. (unless they say they don't want you there like any other private business).

They are talking about the Sturgis Motorcycle rally held every year.

You are allowed to OC magizines and have a LOADED weapon. You are pretty much ok. you should look up the state laws at the south dakota website there are not many of them excluding federal of course.

If you got any questions feel free to PM me