Thread: Social Media Sites Pose Unique Challenges For Gun Owners

Social Media Sites Pose Unique Challenges For Gun Owners

Social Intelligence Corporation bills itself as offering a service that ‘lets employers and hiring professionals reap the benefits of using social media in making hiring decisions, without the legal risks.‘ It does this by scouring social media sites, searching for information on applicants and then removing all legally impermissible information such as race, religion, national origin, age, sex, familial status, sexual orientation, and disability status.

Of particular concern to gun owners, hunters and shooting sports aficionados however, is the fact that reportedly, any posted pictures containing firearms will flag an applicant as ‘Demonstrating potentially violent behavior’ as illustrated in the actual redacted report below ...

(Excerpt) Read more at http://monachuslex.com/?p=78

"Of particular concern to gun owners, hunters and shooting sports aficionados however, is the fact that reportedly, any posted pictures containing firearms will flag an applicant as ‘Demonstrating potentially violent behavior’"

What???? This is like saying someone with a picture of a car is more likely to run you over. Or like saying a picture of a person with a pitbull is more likely to sic his dog on you. No one should be judged simply from a photo because it is difficult to determine the context in which the picture is taken. On the other hand I am not necessarily opposed to companies researching what you post on-online. So long as they use it to ask questions in the interviews and avoid making assumptions. Companies have a right to know who they are hiring and individuals/applicants are putting the information out there for everyone to see.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Gun owners..

If you use social media, learn your privacy settings.

Hell, anyone who uses social media should learn what their privacy settings are and use them.

Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    Gun owners..

If you use social media, learn your privacy settings.

Hell, anyone who uses social media should learn what their privacy settings are and use them.
    Good advice. Thanks.

May I also recommend you don't use your legal name.
    Live Free or Die!

I've tested my privacy settings via others' accounts, and if I haven't befriended them, I'm invisible.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Founder's Club Member
    I wonder if they report the same for martial artists, fencers, boxers, etc?

Omigod! He's got an epee!! (eh-pay; a type of fencing sword). And, loves fighting others holding a similar weapon! Clearly he likes violence!
    Last edited by Citizen; 07-02-2011 at 03:45 AM.

This guy's got pictures of trees on his profile, maybe he'll club someone to death.
    "There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace." ~ Aldo Leopold

Trailrunner's Blog
    Got Twitter?