• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Troy, MO city council decides to keep open carry legal

Superlite27

Well, There were three other gentlemen who showed up to oppose Troy adopting an OC ban.

The meeting was called to order and budgeting, staffing, and various other city business was discussed for about a half hour. Then they moved to the proposed ordinance banning OC.

(paraphrasing)

Mayor: "Why is this even on the docket?"
Councilman #2: "Someone was asking about the ordinance".
Mayor: "So it's on the docket simply because someone asked about the law?"
Councilman #2: "I've already discussed it with the chief of police and he DOES NOT want it passed."
Mayor: "So why is it on the docket? Can we just not read it?"
City Clerk: "It's on the docket... we have to."
Mayor: Who wants to propose we adopt it?"
(Blank stares)
Councilman #3: (Grudgingly) "O.K......I propose blah, blah, blah..."

Discussion followed in which Councilman #1 repeated that the police chief did NOT want this ordinance passed.

Open discussion in which one of the other gentlemen explained that he had been the one who called city hall and inquired about any law restricting open carry just to obtain clarification.

I approached the stand and explained I had been openly carrying a firearm in Troy for about four years without incident, it has been legal for over 190 years so why the interest in an ordinance now?, and explained that businesses could already opt to bar weapons in their establishments any ordinance would pre-empt their decision.

Another gentleman asked for clarification of "ready and capable of lethal use" and asked why having a shirt covering it would change the lethality?".

Comments closed, time for a second......

....anyone?

Councilman #2: "Does it have to be seconded?"
City Clerk: "No, but not seconding it would leave it on the table."
Councilman #2: "Very well, I second the motion."

City Clerk: "Call the roll"

Councilman #1: "NO"
Councilwoman #1 "NO" (vehemently!)
Concilman #2: "NO"
Mayor: "NO"
Councilwoman #2 "NO"
Councilman #3 "NO"

Meeting adjourned.

There you have it folks. Not only is the Troy city council unanimously against banning OC, the police chief and mayor are as well. In fact, nobody really wanted to be the one to propose or second it, other than somebody had to because it was on the docket.

Or maybe.....just maybe....my endearing personality and awsome powers of infuential reasoning swayed them!

Last edited:

Superlite27

No thanks neccessary, gang. It seemed that it was dead in the water before anything started. (Unless you choose to believe the part about my influential reasoning and disarmingly good looks.)

The only question that remains unanswered is:

If nobody wanted it......

...how did it get on the docket in the first place? Somebody had to put it there.

However, I'm willing to let sleeping dogs lay, this time.

No sense in rooting up a potential hornet's nest of rabid (and, evidently, sneaky) anti's. It's dead. Done deal. Good enough for me.

Tony4310

I agree to let it lay,but i'm curious as well as too who wrote it lol. Yes, it's a shame St.Louis County muni's are so afraid of something that hasn't proven to be a danger to the public. Nothing like being surrounded by liberals!

Last edited:

cshoff

Somebody should send a video of that meeting to the Mayor in Maplewood. Perhaps he could learn a thing or two.

cshoff

I'm still waiting for FOX 2 News to do a story on the Troy City Council's decision, like they did with the Maplewood nonsense.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I'm still waiting for FOX 2 News to do a story on the Troy City Council's decision, like they did with the Maplewood nonsense.

Waiting... confirmed, you are indeed a very patient man

Tony4310

I doubt 2 will because seeing as Troy said NO , they won't see it as worthy. Now had they said YES. 2 would of been on it. We should all call/email MW and tell them like the one poster said that we choose Troy over MW because they are 2A friendly!

Last edited:

lincomores

Or maybe.....just maybe....my endearing personality and awsome powers of infuential reasoning swayed them!

Nah...even though you have an endearing personality, you already admitted it was dead on arrival...just sayin' :p

I have two Alderman in my Ward who I work very closely with on a number of issues.
I have wanted to bring Troy into the community of 2A's, open as well as concealed carry for some time now, and now it's time.
The wording of the ordinance was ambiguous to say the least, however, I could not find negative language dealing with this issue. They have just clarified it for all.

I've been a resident of Troy for almost 30 years now. I personally know, and respect, our City Police Chief and our County Sheriff. They recognize, and support our right to keep and bear arms.

I am in discussion with one of yours about the logistics of a meet here in Troy. I see a great opportunity to demonstrate to the general public that our true intent is to be a natural part of Community.

Please consider, when the time comes, of coming for a visit. We have been a bedroom Community of the greater St. Louis region for well over 30 years now.
We are struggling with our economy, our image and our growth.
Bringing law-abiding patriots to our Community is what I want to accomplish.

I will keep you posted.

lincomores

mspgunner

Troy, Missouri - a 2A City

This is a letter I'm sending to the Honorable Mayor of the City of Troy, Missouri:
7/3/2011

The Honorable Mayor Mark Cross
800 Cap Au Gris
Troy Missouri 63379

Dear Mayor Cross,

The word quickly spread through the World Wide Web discussion groups how Troy Missouri did not respond with a knee jerk reaction to a proposed ordinance to “ban” open carry of firearms. Most of Missouri remains a viable choice for open carry. Most of Missouri recognizes and supports the Missouri Constitution and the second Amendment of the Bill of Rights of the United States of America. Many of us law abiding citizens appreciate the action of you and the City Council of Troy. Today my wife and I spent the day in Troy, shopping and eating at a local restaurant. In what I hope will not be too long from now a group of us will travel to Troy for a day outing for shopping and dining.

I and many I associate with avoid Cities who act to deny us our right to keep and bear arms. You have a very nice community and wish you and the City of Troy nothing but success and happiness in the future.

Sincerely,

takon074

I'd attend an OC event in Troy for sure. My parents still own a house there so I could just spend the night :p
There are also a few MO conservation dept shooting ranges around there.